Donation of primary or secondary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The scenario of the alternate become dislodged is not spin. It happens very frequently.

I will agree, however rest the problem at the feet of Dive shops that sell expensive holders that don't work, and divers that are too lazy to find a solution on their own.

I have always donated a working reg, at first it was my only reg, later with a safe second I continued the practice because it is no big deal to grab the alt second for myself. Later on I had a Air2 clone which continued the practice due to the configuration. I have no problem with donating the alternate as long as it works. If it doesn't, regardless of who is using it, the evolution will turn into a clusterf**k.

I now use a longer hose and bungeed backup, but it was not because I had a problem with my safe second not staying where it was put, or working when needed.

Bob

1) Getting attention must be done with PURPOSE. It must be a touch... or a hit... or a shake... that is intended to get attention because it should never be confused with an "en passant touche"

2) the OOA sign must be exaggerated. If it is not then I will not respond to it. In our local waters it's dark and turbid at depth and something that looks like the hand movements of a rapper won't get a reaction. It needs to be BIG AND CLEAR or it didn't happen at all... that's how I train it.

3) the donor decides which regulator to give.
Got it! So all I have to do is make sure I only dive near people you have trained so I can be sure that any OOA diver will follow that training and do steps #1 and #2 correctly so I can do step #3.

Do you think it is possible that somewhere in the real world an OOA diver may do something other than those calm, cool, and collected steps when out of air? As for me, I have never heard of it happening that way.

Bend the octo hose 180 degrees close to the regulator, stuff the loop through the right shoulder D-ring. Problem solved.

Almost every diver with a traditional octo setup whom I've buddied up with around here uses that method. I did it myself before I switched to a LH/BO setup. No issues at all.
will keep that in mind next time I'm using rentals! :D
Got it! So all I have to do is make sure I only dive near people you have trained so I can be sure that any OOA diver will follow that training and do steps #1 and #2 correctly so I can do step #3.

Do you think it is possible that somewhere in the real world an OOA diver may do something other than those calm, cool, and collected steps when out of air? As for me, I have never heard of it happening that way.

At some point I learned (don't remember where, but not during any certification course) that an OOA diver is liable to be panicky, or at very least, desperate for air. The OOA procedure is usually shortened to:

1.) OOA diver grabs a regulator and shoves it in his mouth

At some point I learned (don't remember where, but not during any certification course) that an OOA diver is liable to be panicky, or at very least, desperate for air. The OOA procedure is usually shortened to:

1.) OOA diver grabs a regulator and shoves it in his mouth
I have been near exactly one real OOA experience in my life, and that is what happened--the OOA diver reached for her buddy's alternate and took it. He did not know what was happening until she had it in her mouth. After that happened, I polled the dozen or so instructors in the shop where I was working to ask for their experiences. Everyone who responded described pretty much that same scenario.

I plan on donating my primary at all times, but I also carry a secondary that is in plain view and on a breakaway connection that a panicked diver can pull free if they need to.

FWIW, in my OW class last month, my instructor taught me to donate the secondary. As a brand new diver, how common is it for divers to run OOA, vs have a technical issue that causes no airflow?

FWIW, in my OW class last month, my instructor taught me to donate the secondary. As a brand new diver, how common is it for divers to run OOA, vs have a technical issue that causes no airflow?
Technical issues that cause no airflow are close to nonexistent. In contrast, going OOA is just extremely rare. As I mentioned earlier, in all the dives I have done in my lifetime, I have only been near one OOA incident personally. In that case, the diver evidently mistakenly set up her gear on a used tank and neglected to check the pressure, because she want OOA in the first 10 minutes of a dive, and she was not one to go through air like that.

I don't have the traditional yellow hose/octo (well I do but it's in storage). I wear a bungeed necklace that is a "primary second " stage. Not a "lesser" octo. I interchange regs periodically just because, and to make sure everything is functionally kosher. My primary is on a 5' hose with a 90 swivel. It loops down my right side perfect. If you want my gas, this is what you will get. Period.

Interesting thread, and some situations described by those way more experienced than me. Interesting that early in the thread a majority said they prefer donating the primary. In every course I assisted the alt. was donated, along with the usual procedure of signals, etc. Only one instructor said what was mentioned here--that such a procedure would rarely happen in real life--it would be madness and a grab.
PADI experts--what do you think is the reason donating the primary is not taught (or at least wasn't when I was active)? Logic says the diver who is not OOA is way more mentally sound and able to easily grab his own octo after donating, no?

PADI experts--what do you think is the reason donating the primary is not taught (or at least wasn't when I was active)? Logic says the diver who is not OOA is way more mentally sound and able to easily grab his own octo after donating, no?
PADI does not define how the OOA exchange is to be done. It is completely up to the instructor. The wording of the standard is very careful in that regard. You can teach donating the primary if you wish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom