Doubles Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking for access to 170 fsw. Thats about as deep as I can see myself wanting to go and would give access to most of the best wrecks in our area.

That's advanced deco training, you must be aware of that, right? If I were doing that I'd also be thinking about trimix. I'd probably be pretty narced at that depth.

When I consulted with my future cave instructor about taking my first classes, he asked me if I had any experience in doubles. When he learned that I had pretty good experience with them, he told me to use them from the start. Otherwise, I would have started with singles.

I've been diving recreationally with doubles specifically to prepare for cavern/cave training. The instructor I'll be working with recommended using doubles from as early in the training process as possible, similar to what yours said.

I'm looking for access to 170 fsw. Thats about as deep as I can see myself wanting to go and would give access to most of the best wrecks in our area. Truth be told, even doing some of the shallower wrecks 90-120 on a single tank in the cold Northeast never made much sense to me.

If you go the TDI route you will need to do 2 (really 3,but in effect 2 courses)

1) Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures. That will certify you for deco dives using high O2 mixes in stage tanks to accelerate deco. Max depth "allowed" is 150 although you may decide that is too deep on air in your conditions.

2)Trimix (normoxic) Certifies for use of helium containing mixtures,maximum depth 200 feet,minimum O2 content 18% (so you can breathe it on the surface without passing out)

If you go the TDI route you will need to do 2 (really 3,but in effect 2 courses)

UTD will get you into helium faster (fewer courses), but it will take longer to get certified down to 170 feet.

Intro to cave and cavern do not require doubles just a Y valve. You are always in sight of the exit point so in that respect, its a pretty gentle introduction.

the first sentence is true (though an 'h' is also ok). the second sentence is not.

you can penetrate 1/3 of a single in intro. depending on sac, that's enough to get you very, very far from sight of the exit.

I'm sitting here in front of my computer waiting for my steel 120's to get back from the shop currently being cleaning and doubled...
My new regs are on their way as well...
Hope to dive my new doubles as soon as humanly possible. I dove a buddy's 100's and felt better in them than my single tank adapter with doubles wing. I was incredibly nervous using his gear for the first 2 or 3 minutes. On descent I made up my mind that when I got home there was only one thing to do...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom