Eagle Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with everyone else as well. I went below 100 feet both times I dove that wreck and the shallowest point of my dives was 68 feet. Most of the fun stuff is below that since the wreck lies on her side.

I agree as to WAY too early given your experience.

But, with the caveat that I don't GET wrecks, you will see a whole hell of a lot more and spend threes the time seeing it by hanging at one of the wonderful shallow reefs. I know, just me but why choose a wreck @ 80 - 100 over a reef teeming with life @ 20 - 40?

---------- Post added September 26th, 2013 at 09:39 PM ----------

I agree as to WAY too early given your experience.

But, with the caveat that I don't GET wrecks, you will see a whole hell of a lot more and spend threes the time seeing it by hanging at one of the wonderful shallow reefs. I know, just me but why choose a wreck @ 80 - 100 over a reef teeming with life @ 20 - 40?

---------- Post added September 26th, 2013 at 09:39 PM ----------

It depends on what you're after. If you're looking for reef fish, inverts, corals, macro shots, etc. (i.e. small, pretty things) reefs are wonderful. If you're looking for bigger critters, wrecks tend to attract them (deeper water, more current, more structural relief). Me, these days I'm spending my dive money going for HSQ (Holy **** Quotient).

Also, in the Keys "wonderful shallow reefs" tends to make old wounds sting for me. The last time I was on Molasses Reef I couldn't stop thinking about how in two dives I had noticed a grand total of two live Acropora colonies. The reef crest was covered in dead elkhorn coral skeletons. Still a pretty dive (and not light on the bigger critters; I saw a number of baby green turtles, pompanos, a spotted eagle ray, and a baby reef shark), but the Acropora has really died off since 2005-2006, when I was diving that reef every month.

The Eagle is a cool wreck. Top is at 70ish feet, in the sand at 110. It is on it's side and it is cracked into 2 pieces. It has lots of life on it.
It is recommended to be AOW.
However depending upon your comfort level and experience in the water, you can hire a guide to take you on the tour. This wreck is often used for the Deep or the Wreck portion of the AOW course.

But don't feel like you'll be missing out on "the" dive. There are so many beautiful shallow reefs here in the Upper Keys, you couldn't possibly see them all during your trip. If you want to expand your experience level, I recommend trying a night dive at one of the sites you've seen during the day. You can always hire a guide/instructor to show you the night wonders of the reef and answer all of your questions.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Have a great dive trip.
Elena

Last edited:
Interesting to find this thread today after pretty much doing exactly what you have all advised against.

I just finished OW this week, and went out on my first Nitrox dive today. They announced it was the Eagle, and briefed us thoroughly on how the dive would go. There were 6 divers and 4 instructors including my instructor. We stayed down only a short while (about 14 minutes) and took a solid 3 minute safety stop as a group. I had an instructor (or 3 or 4!) near me at all times. I didn't go through the little "tube" you can pass through on the deck even though it "doesn't count" as a penetration. I went and discovered a huge turtle in the crows nest instead (and an instructor stayed with me). I planned to avoid approaching the sand (which was 110 feet) and I dove that plan without feeling I was missing a thing.

There was a very strong (in my non-existent experience) current any time you were out of the lee of the boat. Just finning back from the crows' nest to the hull was like swimming through sand. It was enough to show me how much I don't know and it made me very glad to have all those others keeping an eye on me.

To my own surprise I'm actually glad we did it, and was wishing we could have gone back again rather than moving on to an unexpectedly low-visibility reef for the next dive.

I would not ever do this without an instructor or 4 around (seriously, I would need to know there were plenty of highly trained better divers everywhere and it would be best to very clearly be their client rather than just a newbie swimming nearby). I would also need to know the plan was a conservative quick-peek and we're out kind of plan. Nobody egging anyone on to stay longer or take a look inside: this was in no uncertain terms NOT part of the plan today. We're thinking of coming back next winter, and if we are offered the Eagle as an option, I would do it just the way we did: very little stopping, a very quick loop-by and then up and out.

A question: To my extremely green knowledge, this dive the way we planned and dove it was well within OW and not AOW certs. Is that correct?

I remember with the deep portion of the AOW for PADI at least, the deepest they are supposed to take you is 100' --- don't know if there's a floor limit on the nitrox dives. Since your dive was instructor-led, that "waives" the AOW needed in the boat's eyes at least. the liability was on the instructor on whether you should or shouldn't have since they were familiar with your diving.

I wouldn't have done it except on nitrox and a large tank. an AL80 never (me at least - depth & current too risky for such a small tank). but yes, always follow your plan and if you don't feel comfortable doing something dont -- and you can always thumb the dive.

glad you enjoyed the dive.

Last edited:
violamama
...congrats on a great dive and experience...

Last edited:
Interesting to find this thread today after pretty much doing exactly what you have all advised against.

I just finished OW this week, and went out on my first Nitrox dive today. They announced it was the Eagle, and briefed us thoroughly on how the dive would go. There were 6 divers and 4 instructors including my instructor. We stayed down only a short while (about 14 minutes) and took a solid 3 minute safety stop as a group. I had an instructor (or 3 or 4!) near me at all times. I didn't go through the little "tube" you can pass through on the deck even though it "doesn't count" as a penetration. I went and discovered a huge turtle in the crows nest instead (and an instructor stayed with me). I planned to avoid approaching the sand (which was 110 feet) and I dove that plan without feeling I was missing a thing.

There was a very strong (in my non-existent experience) current any time you were out of the lee of the boat. Just finning back from the crows' nest to the hull was like swimming through sand. It was enough to show me how much I don't know and it made me very glad to have all those others keeping an eye on me.

To my own surprise I'm actually glad we did it, and was wishing we could have gone back again rather than moving on to an unexpectedly low-visibility reef for the next dive.

I would not ever do this without an instructor or 4 around (seriously, I would need to know there were plenty of highly trained better divers everywhere and it would be best to very clearly be their client rather than just a newbie swimming nearby). I would also need to know the plan was a conservative quick-peek and we're out kind of plan. Nobody egging anyone on to stay longer or take a look inside: this was in no uncertain terms NOT part of the plan today. We're thinking of coming back next winter, and if we are offered the Eagle as an option, I would do it just the way we did: very little stopping, a very quick loop-by and then up and out.

A question: To my extremely green knowledge, this dive the way we planned and dove it was well within OW and not AOW certs. Is that correct?

I think I found your dive. Is this it. Wanted to see what this wreck looked like and I came across this video with the turtle in it. Nice visibility on the wreck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUDl2ZFK4k0&sns=em

Yes, that's it! Around 3:00 you can see me shaking my head at my husband holding the camera because he's going to go through a walkway on the deck of the ship. :)

It was really a neat dive. Glad to have the instructors there to do it with.

You looked relaxed and comfortable during the dive. I did see you shake your head telling your husband not to enter the walkway. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom