Ease of BP/W initial setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phoenix31tt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm very impressed by what i see regarding BP/W over a regular BCD, and I like the streamlining, customization, and the minimalist approach... however alot of the articles i see recommend getting help from someone who has experience with such solutions to assist in initial setup. The problem is, BP/W solutions are almost non existent where i live so i dont think i would be able to get someone familiar with the configuration to assist me.

How easy it is for somebody who has no experience with BP/W to get a rig setup in the right way? Does it make sense?
If it does can you guys provide some tips or online guides to help me out.

I haven't pinned down which setup i'm going with yet but it will most likely be something:

Dive Rite Travel EXP Package - Northeast Scuba Supply Store

i dont need a large wing, i only dive 3mm with 8lbs and would probably be down to 6 after i switch to BP/W

Thanks

I set mine up following some instructions I found online. It seems to work well for me. I'll find out for sure in a couple of weeks when I take intro to tech.

They don't have to be real tight on you. Look up the instructions on line and you should be fine. If something feels weird after you set it up, come back and ask.

BAUE How To Size a Backplate
this is one of the sites I followed.

HERE is a good link for harness assembly. There are also other videos (for example, on camband assembly) on that site.

The key is to remember that, for a single tank setup, the length of the shoulder straps isn't critical. Make them long enough that you can get in and out of the harness without too much difficulty, even if that drops the top of the plate a little lower than the T2 placement that's recommended on a lot of sites. Take the slack up with the crotch strap, though -- make that good and snug, so it pulls the waistband down a bit. (Not enough so your voice goes up a couple of octaves, though!) That will keep the rig stable on your back. Because you have a great deal of freedom in where you place the cambands on a single tank, you can still keep the tank where you want it, and where you can reach the valve.

My GF started diving one straight out of OW class with no further instruction. She told me about the expression the LDS owner made when she began asking about whether he had the components available in his shop. Did her homework on-line and even ended up helping me with my initial set-up once I switched from a BCD. After a handful of dives and minor adjustments to tank placement we were happy divers. She took a peak performance buoyancy class after and was told by the instructor "I feel bad for taking your money. There was clearly nothing more I could give you advice on that you seemed not to have already mastered." She was hovering next to the instructor in perfect trim and form as if she had a been diving for years. We went on to Cavern together where her skills pushed my ego to be as good. :)

Last edited:
There's plenty of online resources to show how to set-up and configure a BP&W. Personalizing and fine-tuning the fit is easier with an experienced mentor/instructor, but can be achieved on your own - probably in the course of an afternoon in the pool...

I agree, it's easy enough to do it yourself.

I have my shoulder straps loose enough so that I can put a fist between the the strap and my shoulder. Most people, on their own, would likely have them too tight.
Other than that, as Lynne mentioned, adjust the crotch strap so that it pulls down slightly on the waist belt.

The imagined difficulty of setting up the rig is an internet creation.

Do it yourself. Dive and make minor adjustments.

Cheers,
Mitch

I have my shoulder straps loose enough so that I can put a fist between the the strap and my shoulder. Most people, on their own, would likely have them too tight.

Agreed. I think this is the prime cause for certain misconception that arise with BP&W. People transition from Jacket BCDs and instinctively assume that the shoulder straps need to be 'as tight' as they would adjust the jacket style.

My shoulder straps are also loose (fist between straps/shoulder). Loose enough that I can actually shrug out of the shoulder straps, even when the waist/crotch strap is in place.

Other than that, as Lynne mentioned, adjust the crotch strap so that it pulls down slightly on the waist belt.

Agreed. Crotch strap is the pivotal component in the rig. It should cause a slight 'v' in the waist belt as it pulls down. It holds the whole rig together robustly and stops untoward movement/shifting.

thanks for all the great advice guys... i'm usually the guy that uses online resources to learn most stuff anyways so i think i should be ok...

any issues i cant resolve on my own.. i know where to come :)

I wrote my e experience in another thread and recommended that a new diver get help. However I think most ppl on this board, even if new, have more knowledge than most. You will easily be able to do it yourself. My concern is that new divers might not understand what proper trim and buoyancy are about. Slight adjustments might help or hinder your abilities to achieve this. That's all.

But I will say that I think you are smart for going this route.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom