Easy Cave diving destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to take a vacation somewhere I can learn how to do cave diving. I want it somewhere that offers the training, and the caves are easy enough for a beginner.

It would likely be next spring.

I live in BC Canada.

Florida or Mexico. Either are fine. Some of the caves in Florida have a good flow while none of the Mexico caves I am familiar with do. I would recommend Florida since it is a good learning experience to dive in a high flow cave as well as no to little flow. In Florida the two main areas to look at are High Springs and Mariana. Both areas offer good training. You can check out the nss-cds or nacd website for instructors. If you decide on Mexico then look in the Tulum / Akumal / Playa area South of Cancun. Instructors in that area can also be found on the above websites. Also Mexico is going to be wetsuit and aluminum 80's while Florida will generally be steel tanks with a drysuit being optional.

I'd highly recommend going to Mexico. To begin with, the area where the caves are is very beautiful, with white sand beaches and turquoise water and lovely resorts, so a trip there is truly a vacation. That beats staying in the High Springs Country Inn and eating at diners . . . Also, the caves are shallower in MX, which means longer bottom times on the permissible gas supply for beginners, which means more experience. Learning in low flow makes the process a little less difficult, because you are focusing on technique and not coping with being blown about, and the physical work is easier. The water is also warmer, which reduces stress.

If you do your training in MX and go to Florida, it's not a bad idea to get some coaching on managing high flow. But that's not difficult to come by.

I've trained in both places, and I'm glad I started in MX.

I would have to say that training is Florida would be a better option than Mexico if given the choice. Florida has some "sacrifical" caves for training that are not as delicate as the Mexican caves are. Learning to dive in a high flow cave will just make is easier when going to a no flow system like those in Mexico. Of course this is just my personal opinion.

Mariana has the mill pond with Jackson Blue, Twin and Hole in the wall. Edd Sorensen's shop Cave Adventures is on the mill pond there. He teaches as well as several other good instructors in the area.

The High Springs area has Ginnie Springs, Peacock and Little River that are normally used for classes. There are numerous dive shops in that area.

I agree with the above statement to train in Florida. If you can handle high flow caves then Mexico will be a breeze.

The area where the caves are in MX is very safe. Yes, there is theft, as there is in Hawaii and in many other places. But the people are generally very nice, and the drug stuff is up in the big cities. There is some police corruption, so drive your rental car conservatively, if you get one.

If you would like some instructor recommendations, I can give you some. I would also recommend, given where you are, that you talk to Guy Shockey about doing a Fundamentals course before you head for MX -- it will make all your cave training go much more smoothly.

And if you're still unsure, watch this:

[video=vimeo;57780176]http://vimeo.com/57780176[/video]

I would also recommend, given where you are, that you talk to Guy Shockey about doing a Fundamentals course before you head for MX -- it will make all your cave training go much more smoothly.

I was told there was no one on the Island who offers the course.

I know who I am emailing next!

Back
Top Bottom