Easy Cave diving destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want him/her to ratchet things up and see what my breaking point is.

I do it for fun. I do not want to know where my breaking point is, not so quickly. I do want to know my limits, whether they be arbitrarily set, or based on my real abilities.

If the course is not challenging, that is not a bad thing. It means that I will likely do more of it in the future.

You said
"I do not know if I ever would ever do cave diving again after this trip. It is just one of the many things on my "wanna do" list for diving."

Well then just go down to Mexico and do some guided dives in the Cenotes. You'll get a feel for Cavern Diving. Cave diving is a serious form of diving, involves lots of experience and training. It is not a simple dive to tick off a list. But doing a dive in a Cenote will accomplish your wishlist criteria, safely.

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

I do it for fun. I do not want to know where my breaking point is, not so quickly. I do want to know my limits, whether they be arbitrarily set, or based on my real abilities.

If the course is not challenging, that is not a bad thing. It means that I will likely do more of it in the future.

IMHO, you are a beginner diver, with 25-49 dives under your belt. Cave diving is for advanced divers and should not be considered until you have at least 100+ dives in various conditions. Just my opinion again.

You said
"I do not know if I ever would ever do cave diving again after this trip. It is just one of the many things on my "wanna do" list for diving."

Well then just go down to Mexico and do some guided dives in the Cenotes. You'll get a feel for Cavern Diving. Cave diving is a serious form of diving, involves lots of experience and training. It is not a simple dive to tick off a list. But doing a dive in a Cenote will accomplish your wishlist criteria, safely.

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

totally agree.... cenote diving can be done with someone fairly new to diving, give you the thrill of being in a cave without the weeks of training as well as the $$$ required. Watch some of the Mexican Cenote dives on YouTube and Vimeo, they will show you what it is all about.

I have only done 1 day of cenote diving and loved it, but I have no interest in cave diving. Leaving the light zone does not appeal to me, I like the visual aspects of diving, including fishlife encounters, sunlight twinkling through openings, etc. My husband on the other hand, has approx 1000 dives, just finished Tech II training last year, and plans to move on to cave diving in near future. Different strokes...

My little cenote video:
[vimeo]4077653[/vimeo]

and a friends video:
[vimeo]3897218[/vimeo]

link to more: https://vimeo.com/search?q=cenote+diving

I might have got the terminology wrong.

It sounds like Cenotes are what I want to do.

Oh, wrong on that one bud. If the course is not challenging, you're been taught a poorly designed course. And that is a bad thing in a cave environment.

I might have got the terminology wrong.

It sounds like Cenotes are what I want to do.

oh, well if all you want to do is DIVE IN CENOTES then go to the Yucatan. They are guided with no more than 4 people, and you will be fine as long as you don't mind overhead environments, and are good on buoyancy.

I would really like to differ with the folks who are discouraging the OP from taking a cavern class. Even if one does not intend to dive in caverns regularly, taking the class will do NOTHING but improve their diving skills. I routinely recommend the GUE Fundamentals class as a way of polishing one's technique, and the people who object to GUE almost always offer a cavern class as an alternative. Cavern does not commit you to gear changes or to cave diving -- but it's a great way to see the caves and get some really good instruction in the process, and I think it's actually a reasonable thought for the OP.

Oh, wrong on that one bud. If the course is not challenging, you're been taught a poorly designed course. And that is a bad thing in a cave environment.

My OW course was relatively easy.

My Ice diver course was easy.

When I do my AOW, I expect the challenges to be learning the material, but the diving, if I am doing as I was taught, should be easy.

If you have a good instructor, they will teach in a manner that allows it to seem easy, yet it is actually hard.

I will not say that the skills were easy, but, how I got taught them made them easy.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2013 at 11:51 AM ----------

oh, well if all you want to do is DIVE IN CENOTES then go to the Yucatan. They are guided with no more than 4 people, and you will be fine as long as you don't mind overhead environments, and are good on buoyancy.

By then my buoyancy should be even better than now.

I am not looking to get into the little tiny places where you barely fit.

Somewhere, that I see caves/caverns/holes in the side of rock that has unique shapes/life is what I want to do.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2013 at 11:53 AM ----------

I would really like to differ with the folks who are discouraging the OP from taking a cavern class. Even if one does not intend to dive in caverns regularly, taking the class will do NOTHING but improve their diving skills. I routinely recommend the GUE Fundamentals class as a way of polishing one's technique, and the people who object to GUE almost always offer a cavern class as an alternative. Cavern does not commit you to gear changes or to cave diving -- but it's a great way to see the caves and get some really good instruction in the process, and I think it's actually a reasonable thought for the OP.

I do not want to replace all my gear. Not yet at least. It is decent gear for my skill level. It is in good condition, and I know how to use it. I want to look around something big.

I would want to do a basic course and the be safe to do it.

No, what I was saying is that a cavern class will let you begin to learn cave-quality skills without having to change your gear. You can do cavern in a single tank with an H-valve. The instructor will focus on buoyancy, trim, positioning, non-silting propulsion, and stability under task-loading. You'll get to see some fantastic underwater scenery while becoming a much better diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom