Easy Cave diving destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told there was no one on the Island who offers the course.

I know who I am emailing next!
You don't need a GUE Fundamentals of Better Diving Course unless you plan on taking subsequent cave training through GUE in Tulum (mainland Yucatan Peninsula Mexico) or High Springs Florida.

You can have all your pre-Cave fundamentals training there (and equipment/gear as needed), on site in Cozumel:

Configuración Hogarthian

There are "sacrificial" caves in Riviera Maya too, so if that's a concern that would steer you towards Florida, it shouldn't be. The other guy in my cave course hadn't taken anything like GUE fundies and he did fine in terms of the skills you'd learn. I haven't been to the caves on Cozumel, but ran into a few people who had while doing my course and they said the Cozumel caves didn't come close to the mainland caves. That's just word of mouth, not personal experience.

My thought would be to do some sort of introductory course before I go. Then go and get certified there. I would like my first experience to be somewhere warm, and easy. The easier it is the first time, the more likely I will want to do it again.

There is no such thing as an "easy" cave course.

I know cave diving is not easy. I mean that there is as little to concern yourself with. It is why you do an easy dive for your OWC. So, just like that, I want it to be a simple as I can get. The more challenging ones can wait until I am more experienced.

This may just be the mean ass Staff Sergeant military instructor in me, but I don't want any of my courses to be easy. I want that crap to be difficult. I want to be pushed as far as an instructor feels he can safely push me. That's just me.

I honestly recommend Florida for cave diving instruction. I understand the "you can work on skills when you are not fighting flow" statements, but I disagree with them. When you start learning reel work, you will probably be in one of Florida's low flow caves such as Peacock. As you progress through your training heading in to a system like The Devils System of Ginnie Springs with its high flow will help show you just how easily things can go wrong. I would not worry, you will get LOTS of reel work in a good Cavern/Intro class to get the skills up to par. Any good cave instructor worth his weight in condom catheters will have you drilling and drilling and reeling and reeling.

Going someplace like Mexico will get you ready for caves like Mexico. Granted, they are some of the most beautiful areas of the world that my eyes have ever had the privilege of being allowed to see. However, the caves in Florida still fill me with awe even after seeing the same tunnels for the last 11 years.

Training in a place like Florida with its changing cave systems will get you ready to dive in many more places.

This is just my three days in a row running on three hours of sleep after yelling at soldiers on ranges for 16+ hours a day and not having a day off since Jan 5 and finally having a few beers for the first time in two weeks slightly buzzed rambling selfs opinion. I could be wrong. Although I will never know because I don't even remember what I wrote. :)

Easiest Cave Diving Destination for beginner training (no rental car needed; plenty of lodging choices -hotel or condo- for all budgets; many eateries in town within walking distance; short cab ride from the Int'l Airport: The big resort town of San Miguel on Cozumel Island.

Recommend Instructor German Yanez:

Germán Yañez

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/444672-cenote-aerolito-de-paraiso-2.html

Plus one on the recommendation of German as an instructor and Cozumel as a destination. I did cavern and intro with German last March and he was the best instructor I've had, hands down. Feel free to PM me for more details.

Kristopher

I'm a bit biased, but I believe you'll get more thorough training in Florida. If you can dive in high flow, it's easy to dive in no flow. The reverse cannot be said. If you learn in zero flow, then encounter high flow, it's a bit more difficult. This is very evident if you see the lines run into Ginnie Ear on a busy weekend.

So, all OWC should be done with high current?

That is my point.

I want to get the experience of cave diving in something that I do not have to "work" for. I learn the skills, and enjoy the dive. Afterwards, when I do it again, it would be something more challenging.

So, all OWC should be done with high current?

That is my point.

I want to get the experience of cave diving in something that I do not have to "work" for. I learn the skills, and enjoy the dive. Afterwards, when I do it again, it would be something more challenging.

Either here or in Florida, you're goin to have to work for it. It's not as easy as learning the skills and enjoying the dive. You have to work hard in a cave course. High flow, little flow or no flow, mistakes have serious consequences

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom