Fashion tips and Faux Pas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobbin-along

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was at the local site last weekend and as I was getting in the water some uber-brat standing beside me looks over and says "Bright Enough Gear?" and continues gearing up. Being a slow wit I didn't have a snapy response and spent the rest of the day rather annoyed that some toad would make a comment about my ensemble. It did seem rude, but hey I'm new to diving maybe I missed color coordination 101 in the courseware somewhere. I wear a blue dry suit, yellow fins, unpainted tank, black BC, hood, gloves. While not black and stealthy the combination seems to keep me dry, breathing, and underwater.

Has anyone here ever made a comment to a stranger regarding their gear colors and why?

I was in WA last weekend and this girl was wearing a blue dry suit, yellow fins, unpainted tank, black BC, hood, gloves, I just had to point out how bright the gear was...

hehe j/k :)

Don't worry about it. Some people have nothing better to do than dump on another persons day.

Nothing surprises me any more since I heard that there is at least one SB Member with a pink backplate...

Hah, hah!

Welcome to Pacific Northwest diving. You can always just smile and remember that they are total losers... Also, never opologize for yellow fins, many instructors and divemasters use them, as do I.

Bright gear makes you easier to identify in the water. I have all black equipment and on my husband's first OW dive we got seperated. I started thinking about how to make it easier for him to ID me underwater, so I recently bought a pair of bright pink boots on eBay. There's no mistaking me now!

I get snide comments about my gear all the time, especially when I have my hoses wrapped in all different colors that purposely clash with the hose protectors :D I have a mask that's blue with yellow spots, it looks like someone flicked a paintbrush at me while I was wearing it I also have a pink one with white spots and two yellow ones with black spots LOL! Walk around a dive site wearing a hat that looks like a pink stuffed rabbit and see how many comments you get :wink: I just say "Anybody can match, it takes talent to get this much gear to completely clash!" Click on my gallery and go into the Nekton album, there is a picture of gear there on the boat, see if you can pick out my rig :D

Don't worry about what people say about the color of your gear.
Ber :lilbunny:

Excellent. Apparently I didn't miss the fashion chapter in my training books. I was afraid I missed something in OW or AOW.....

OMG!!!! I want that tigger hood! Of course if hubby were to get me the clownfish hood that would be ok too. Screw hydrodynamics when you have a Tigger hood!

i would say "buttmunch" and not give him a second thought

Quality of gear is more important than color. Lots of times I have gone to buy gear and tho I would love to have it all be matching I have to go with what works for me instead (or sometimes I have to go with what is in stock.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom