• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by Miyaru, Nov 1, 2019.

1. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
  2. Jay

Jay Need to dive more!

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Regardless of the franchisee contract details, Aggressor (the company) and the CEO, Wayne Brown, are seen to have some degree of responsibility as to how 'their' boats are designed and operated AND there are multiple ways they can check that which are readily available; e.g. online customer reviews that go straight to Aggressor, as suggested above have a 'customer' stay, use the on-board video camera system randomly uploads fire-watch pics / have them stored and sent when on wifi etc. Design factors, check those out prior to franchising or insist on rectification when renewing the franchise. Just ideas - there's tonnes more ... you get the drift; where there's a will there's a way.

When I LOB now, I open/close/climb through every escape hatch, regardless of which cabin I'm in. I check if any door to/from a hatch might/can be locked/blocked, check if something could fall on a hatch and block it etc ...

I suggest we all do it, and be a little (politely) vocal with our findings. One way or another we can help invoke change.

nippurmagnum and Schwob like this.
  3. Dan

Dan Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    The 55 lumen, waterproof to 58m depth Hollis keychain dive light came in. It looks pretty bright & solid to me. So I clip it to my ditch bag.

Hanging the ditch bag kit by the door knob is a good idea.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. labdogs13

labdogs13 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Why would you only want to share information like that to one person? Information like this needs to be seen by all!!

chillyinCanada likes this.
  5. John Bantin

John Bantin Dive Shop

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I've just realised that the same person (Ahmed Fadel) was Dive Manager for Blue O Two on Blue Melody, as is now GM for Aggressor Fleet in the Red Sea. The difference must be the companies.

Diving Dubai likes this.
  6. Antho

Antho Garibaldi

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Hi, I just posted the video I took when we jumped from the RSA1 boat on fire. Second part of the video is when I am in the zodiac that rescued us.

7. Late in Life Diver

Late in Life Diver Garibaldi

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Aggressor website statement very misleading.

I have been a regular customer on the aggressor fleet for several years. Yesterday I went to the site to make plans for my next dive trip. When I read the statement at the top of the website, my initial reaction was that a diver was lost perhaps during a dive. There is no mention of a fire, the loss of the ship, and the traumatic events that followed for the passengers. There is virtually no details in the US news either, with the exception of scuba dive related websites. I only learned of the actual events from a friend. I then went to scubaboard, to find further details, including statements from actual survivors.

Whilel I understand that it is prudent to withhold some details until all of the facts are known, I find it absolutely disgusting that aggressor continues to omit this key FACT of this tragedy.

As for a watch system during the night, I am also a sailor and have crewed on Many ocean crossings. We always had 24 hour watch. At night, the watch was usually limited to only two hours especially during the late night hours between one and 5 PM. This would allow the crew to obtain sufficient sleep and do the regular work during the day. A single crewmember does not have to be trained to cover all aspects of the ship, but would monitor various systems including engines and generators. If a serious problem was noted, they would wake up the appropriate skilled crewmember.

As for carbon monoxide detectors, we tested them on a weekly basis, and these tests were logged on maintenance sheets.

on my last aggressor, in the Grand Cayman, all the lifejackets were kept on the dive deck. At the time, I did not think much of this, but now I realize that jackets should be in the cabins as well. Based on the stories by the survivors, They were unable to get to that area. The lifejackets have lights, which would’ve aided in recovery of the passengers and crew in the water.

I would like to thank everybody who supplied information about having a grab bag or at least a small waterproof pouch with critical items such as passports and credit cards. I plan to make one up for my next LiveAboard trip.

in my opinion, aggressor needs to think hard about their next step. First, they need to be forthcoming and admit all the known facts about this tragedy. Second, once the facts are obtained, they need an affective plan to ensure the safety of all their crew and passengers. personally, I do not intend to die with him again, until this happens.

It is clear, that aggressor continues to just want the story to go away, rather than take responsibility for what happened, and make the necessary changes to ensure that it will never happen again.

Land Fish, DandyDon, Dan and 3 others like this.
  8. DandyDon

DandyDon Old men ought to be explorers ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    That looks like a common name for the area. You sure it's the same person?

9. John Bantin

John Bantin Dive Shop

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I sent a photo to one of the RSA passengers for confirmation. Ahmed Fadel says the police have told him not to talk to anyone before they finish their investigation.

10. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

So, the link is same guy, different company but ends up with burned lob?