First equipment purchase for young divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redseal

Contributor
Reaction score
My twin 12 year old girls and I have been diving just about every other weekend since getting our open water certification back in early June. Each weekend costs $85/person for rental of wetsuit, tank, weights, BC, reg and gauges. With three of us, that gets pretty salty quickly.

I've begun to buy my own reg/computer/BC from my local LDS on a rent-to-own program, no interest. He's offered to let me buy the rental equipment my girls have been using: $175 each for their BCs, $400 each for reg/alt air/SPG (no computer). That's alot of money! but I'd like to stop throwing away money each time we rent. I know that the girls will have their growth spurts soon, so buying a wetsuit and/or BC might not be a cost effective choice, but a reg/alt air/gauges???

FLL responded to a related question on this site, and suggested buying the reg (Mares MR12 Axis) and SPG/depth gauge on-line. He got his for $160 and $89. I've seen similar prices for just a first stage/second stage, but not an alt air/octo. I wouldn't feel safe without a backup air for the girls.

Anyone have suggestions/thoughts on purchases, the type of regs/octos and gauges that I should consider. I expect that here in PA we'll be able to dive May through Oct or Nov; after that the quarry gets too cold for even a 7mm suit. Like I said, I'd like to keep my business local, but I also don't want to spend a ridiculous amount for equipment for the girls that they might outgrow quickly.

Your thoughts please:)

I would recomend that the first purchases be a good regulator/octo/SPG setup. Buy life-support first and worry about the rest later. There are also several back inflate type BC's that are fully adjustable to fit divers as they grow. Zeagle has the Ranger Jr. and the Dive-Rite TransPac II is also very adjustable. They may be a little disconcerting on the surface because of the back inflation properties but those are easy to get used to. A good LDS should be able to handle all of these adjustments.

I have a 13 year old dive buddy and when she was 12 she asked her Mom to get her a backplate/harness/wing set-up. She really likes it and is a hoot to watch underwater. This is gear that will grow with her. But any type set up like this would be good that is adjustable as your kids grow.

I guess everyone has an opinion but what would be a "good" setup that won't break the bank (two kids, two setups) and will grow with them and last many years? Combos I've tried to piece together look like they'll run about $400+; add a bc or harness and I'm looking at $1000 or more for two setups. In that case, it makes the decision of continuing to rent at $85/pp per weekend harder (10 weekends and the gear is paid for, but there aren't that many weekends left this year).

Oh, the pain, the pain.;-0

Dive Rite has a kids program for the TP II. You can buy it to fit your kids now, then upgrade the componants as your kids get older. I'm thinking about it for my son next year when he gets certified. Check out http://www.diverite.com/kids/dvegear.htm

Ty

:wink: Hey Ty, thanks for that info. I checked out their site, found a dealer within 30 miles, and have already sent an e-mail inquiry. The TP II looks a bit "bare bones" but if it's safe, functional, and reasonably priced it may be a go.

I may still check with my more local LDS and see if he'd be willing to consider a rent-to-own with the girls' Genesis BCs and then promise a reasonable trade-in amount as they grow.

I'm still stuck on the reg/octo/SPG purchase, though: can I get a reliable setup for under $300 each?

The TP II isn't really barebones; it's back inflation that's a bit more comfortable then a full fledged BP/ wing set up. You can add pockets or even weight pockets to the set up if you wish. It's a little more expensive then a BP set up but it might be more comfortable for your girls. I'm diving with it now with single 120's.

I don't have any info for you on the reg setup. I'm going to give my son my oceanic Delta Reg and Prodigy Computer since I've already bought new ones.

Ty

I went through the exact same scenario with my son,

I agree that you should continue to talk to your LDS. It is nice to have that relationship if you encounter problems. They also may sell their rental gear at the end of the year if they get in new stuff. Mine won’t deal on BC’s or Regs, so…

I got a SP Mk2+ R190 for about $140.00 with shipping from DiveInn. A R190 octo is under $90.00. A basic pressure/depth gauge console from LeisurePro is under $80.00. I believe it is a very safe set-up, while being reasonably priced. True it is not top of the line, but has a reputation for excellent reliability.

I have heard that the MK2+ can be overbreathed at depth while sharing air, but we have done practice OOA drills at 30 feet with no problems.
(My son is 11 and has an agreed upon 30 ft max depth limit right now, so we have not tried it any deeper.)

Look on Ebay for other gear, there is a lot of quality used stuff out there- wetsuits, etc,.

Good luck, I hope your LDS works out, but if not there are other options. :)

Bill

I checked into the Dive Rite Transpac II. The basic price is just for the harness; adding the wings, pockets, and inflator increases the price to about $600!! The current BC that my girls rent (which was purchased by the LDS to rent to them) he'll sell to me for $175. That should last them a couple of years, maybe even 3 or 4 years unless they sprout up a foot or so.

He also gave a decent price on a SP reg/octo/gauge group with compass for $400 total. I feel better sticking with my local shop, especially since we've been treated so well all along.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions. As always, this is a great forum. Wish we could get to dive sites as easily as it is to get to the computer!!

Ciao!:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom