Flex hose for backup 2nd stage on a necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CephBirk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all! I've got a long-hose configuration and keep my backup 2nd stage around my neck on a necklace. I've always used rubber hoses but recently have been wondering whether a flex hose may be preferable for the backup 2nd stage. Right now I've got a 22" rubber hose on a single tank configuration and the reg pulls in my mouth when I turn my head too far to the left or the right. I'm wondering if the flexibility in the flex hoses would help alleviate this problem.

Does anyone have first hand experience with switching from rubber to flex hoses on the backup 2nd and whether this helps?

Yes, I switched recently to long hose/primary donate setup too and for the first few dives I used a borrowed rubber hose for my secondary with the same problem (hose pulling reg when I turned my head left).
I then bought a flex hose with the same length (sorry don't remember the numbers but it was what is considered as "standard" length) and I've got no problem at all. Reg feels like it is "hose-less".

Yes. Miflex on my necklace. Very comfortable. EDIT: I checked my setups - 22" works just fine with Miflex for me.

I use a 22" "flex" hose bungeed necklace, it's a bit tight looking left but given it's only for emergency it's good enough. I did wonder if a 24" would be better but am concerned it'll then sit way right...

I prefer flex hoses and have never had any issues with them, that being said I don’t know how they will hold up over the long term, I have some rubber hoses that are decades old and work fine still.

As to length if I’m going to be diving the short hose reg (breathing from) I like 24” as a back up 20 or 22 is fine but you have to try different lengths to know what is best for you.

Have you looked at the 1st stage if there is a port that is a little more angled forward? That might help with the routing. It might just be changing ports on the 1st stage to fix things.

keep in mind that braided hoses like to rip out neck hair and abrade against neck seals.
This right here is why I am glad this question was asked. Miflex hoses are very appealing with their flexibility, light weight and pretty colors. I would really like to try them, but I can't risk them wearing into my wetsuit or especially my drysuit.

I prefer flex hoses and have never had any issues with them.
And Achim from InnerSpace Explorers uses them too, which is a pretty solid endorsement, I would say.

Back
Top Bottom