Flex hose for backup 2nd stage on a necklace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Jack! I just looked at the ad, and one comment was something like "less flexibility and negative buoyancy helps longer hoses stay in place", or something like that.
Since this thread started with the need for a more flexible short necklace hose to avoid pulling, how flexible are those XT-tech hoses, really (compared to rubber)?

Thanks, Jack! I just looked at the ad, and one comment was something like "less flexibility and negative buoyancy helps longer hoses stay in place", or something like that.
Since this thread started with the need for a more flexible short necklace hose to avoid pulling, how flexible are those XT-tech hoses, really (compared to rubber)?
Can't say, haven't laid hands on one.

While I haven't dove my setup yet, I opted for 24" braided hose from DGX for my secondary to wear on a necklace around my neck. I also have a 360 ball swivel on it. I've only worn it just testing it out but it was very comfortable all around.

I was shocked at the difference the 360 degree ball swivels make. I didn't "get" it until I actually used one and saw how it can turn whatever degree you need it to without any stress.

While I haven't dove my setup yet, I opted for 24" braided hose from DGX for my secondary to wear on a necklace around my neck. I also have a 360 ball swivel on it. I've only worn it just testing it out but it was very comfortable all around.

I was shocked at the difference the 360 degree ball swivels make. I didn't "get" it until I actually used one and saw how it can turn whatever degree you need it to without any stress.
Hey, I don't want to pick on you. But for the benefit of others reading along, I would beg to differ with you.
1) the swivel action of the ball connector is much stiffer under pressure. Yes, you can place it in any position you like, but you have to do it manually. It's not as though the swivel will shift when you look to the left and then look to the right;
2) in my experience, which may not match yours, the 120° angle of the ball swivel is somewhat incompatible with a short necklace hose. In other words, I find personally that I get better results if the hose goes straight into the second stage. Things are much different if the hose is coming up from under my arm where an angled connection makes sense. But that's not how I rig my necklaced octo;
3) if I'm completely honest, those ball swivels scare the daylights out of me. Having taken several apart, everything depends upon the precision with which the hex screw is tightened. If the O-ring extrudes due to a loosened screw, you'll have a freeflow. If the screw is too tight, it won't swivel. Anything held together under pressure with a single screw like that is not a design that I favor. Personally, when I use a 4' primary hose for recreational diving, I use a 120° connector with no swivel.

Not picking on you. Just another opinion. :)

@rsingler
1-sort of, it shifts enough, but I prefer that it stays when under pressure, for jaw fatigue especially when scootering it makes a remarkable difference
2- on doubles or sidemount it makes a huge improvement, less so with singles where I'll agree that on the short hose it doesn't really do anything. I have them on mine, but it's only because I bulk bought the Poseidon adapters so I have them and I rarely dive single hose backmount singles
3-eh, I've seen the cheap elbows shoot apart when the threads gave out which was adorable but the cheap elbows are held together with the same single screw design. Torque them properly, use loctite, and you're fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom