Gauging Interest in Scuba Reality Show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see how Scuba could benefit from a reality show. Look at all the shows out there so far. I, personally, am tired of watching other people's drama.

Wow.....I think the idea has some potential and would be interested in seeing it play out. Deadliest catch and shows like that do show me lifestyles and vocations that I previously knew nothing about and, if one can put up with the apparently staged histrionics, one can learn some things and even be entertained.

I think the biggest problem might be keeping the interest of enough people during the, hopefully plentiful, periods of underwater shots where there is little or no dialogue to speak of. I KNOW that I would give it a look for an episode or two and at least give it a chance to catch my interest.

They're the guys that sell the best mask de-fog... gently scarped from the glistening inner thighs of their post-dive DMs. $39 for .10 mL.

:shocked2:. Now I definitely DEMAND PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF!! I spent five hours at the pool yesterday, was relaxing with a beer and then read your post. Wife wanted to know why I was standing in a cold shower:D. What till she sees the bill for that defogger!:shakehead:

I can agree with the comment that if it's something Like Pawn Stars that dosen't rely on drama, maybe. If it's like the other diving reality shows I've seen that focus on people swearing and throwing punches at each other for the sake ratings like Bering Sea Gold or that one in South Africa, then no.

Last I knew, that chamber was being used as a storage locker. Check out whether I am correct and let us know.

I do know that the chamber at AKR is very busy with "Moskito Divers"
I think you are, they sent my friend to AKR from FIBR 2 years ago when she was bent. (sub-DCS)

The last good SCUBA show I saw was made by some French sea Captain using a bunch of vintage dive gear running around the globe filming stuff. It was great.

Other then that I did see a SCUBA show just a few weekends ago on some obscure cable channel. I tried to watch it. I really wanted to watch it. I wanted it to be good but it was horrible and I could only take about 10 minutes. It had 2, somewhat self absorbed guys that were about as interesting as beige paint drying,

I don't know how many people have ever seen shipshape TV but while it isn't high quality and is really a 30 minute commercial I would watch something like that about SCUBA. a host who goes out and talks to experts, does some dives in interesting spots and shows some equipment or explains a little about the dive. I would probably watch it...but it wouldn't have a huge following I don't think.

Well IF we get the funding..... we're going forward with the show called "Dive Masters". We're doing it guerrilla style (or is that... GOR-illa? Thanks "Capt. Ron"). No Hollywood crap... no fake fights and drama.... Take a look at our project page. We're at 70% funding with ONE DAY LEFT. Become a Backer today.

Dive Masters by Jason McAnear — Kickstarter

No Hollywood crap... no fake fights and drama....

Good luck then... Since that's what TV people think makes the shows good.

Jason, let me fill you in on something that may not sit well with your concept of this show. Networks don't want "reality". They want drama! I know because I am currently involved with a show that has been sold to a large network. I'm not at liberty to state the network nor what we are doing, but it has nothing to do with reality of the diving. The diving is just blown out of proportion about how "dangerous" it is and the people being pissed off at each other for being on another divers turf. The problem I see with your idea is that it will be watched by the diving community and only the diving community which makes up a small percentile of the public. Your demographics just don't look good IMO. National Geographic has plenty of "diving" shows where you can see interesting diving. If you don't have something "New and Fresh" the networks want, your "investors" are going to just be throwing their money down the toilet. They will laugh you out of the building. Actually you won't even get inside. Trust me, I know. Reality stars don't get rich off the show. It doesn't pay much for the hassle of doing it. Only the megga stars on shows like Pawn Stars, Jersey Shore, and Swamp People are making anything for the shows. Now if you are not going to put it on TV and going to strictly be a web based show, you may get a few people to watch but you are gonna need some way of making money with it. Get sponsorship by gear makers or you wont be able to afford to go long. I don't want to sound like the party pooper, but it's a dog eat dog market that thrives on drama not "reality".

Back
Top Bottom