Good Bye Matt (SFL Diver)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I regret that I didn't take any pics of Matt in the Keys, but I will always have some really good memories. Matt had a great and interesting sense of humor. Many people may have had to think twice to get his humor, but I enjoyed it from the start.

Matt and Mardi showed Donna and me the East end of the Blue Heron Bridge for the first time, on that same dive, he showed me my very first Seahorse. You never forget things like that, I'll never forget Matt.

Matt showed me my first seahorse at Blue Heron too.. such memories.
Ron thanks for posting that pic, it brings back some really good memories.
Mardie, I am here, please let me know if there is anything I can do.

That sucks....my thoughts are with his family.

Mom and I have had so many phone calls and e-mails from Matt's (and my) friends and colleagues. I thank you all for your wonderful words both of support and fantastic stories.
Please don't stop.
I read as many of the posts on this thread and personal e-mails to Mom as I can manage at one time and she can't believe how many people have been personally touched by Matt, his brownies, Loonie’s kidnapping, flinging sheep, sense of humor, and yes two deep water rescues.
So many have asked how we are doing and guess what? Not too great, but in the past both Mom and I have been known to be strong women. One of the things that Matt loved in both of us and we will survive.
In between phone calls Mom and I spend our time sharing our memories and we have had so many incredible phone calls from friends who are in as much shock as we are. Each caller has very special stories to tell and that brings back wonderful memories plus lets us in on things Matt did or said that we haven’t known about…YIKES… although they are some of my favorites!
Of course we have to time and again explain what happened and in the beginning it was very traumatic for each of us and brought on terrible crying bouts. But having told it so many times now it seems more surreal then real. Like repeating a movie plot with good and bad reviews. Then we look at each other and realize it is real and the pain starts again.
I don't know if I ever want to go back to my office because Matt and I spent more consecutive time together there then we did in our home life. But fear not... unless something magical happens I do still need a paycheck so eventually I will have to buck it up and go back.
MB and Joanne have suggested a memorial statue or plaque in Matt's honor on the reef of our choosing. Of course my first thought was a giant concrete (L)Moonie. He started laughing until I told him that I was serious. And then he thought, ya that's Matt! Ok Loonie and a plaque! And maybe even a large honking..... Never mind! How about in Panama where we were planning on opening a dive related B&B? Or in some exotic location... any takers?
LOVE, LOVE all of you.
Mardie
ps Checked how many times this thread has been viewed.... almost 900 times, Mom can't believe it, She didn't know that Matt knew 900 people... told her that the diving community is a family of friends you have met and friends you have not met...yet. I hope to meet you all some day!
PSS thinking about auctioning off that ratty old tiger stripped skin that Matt had.....http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/More Smiles/nonononono.gif
:no And then I woke up!

I think the ratty old tiger stiped skin should get buried, erh, uh, memorialized with the plaque! :rofl3:
Mardie, you seem to be so strong, and thanks for sharing some of what you are going through with us. Know that we are here for ya.

oh, i'm so so sorry to hear this! what a very funny & nice guy he was.

i'll think of him whenever i see a string chair.

hugs to you, m.

Very sad indeed, but it sounds like he died a very happy man with alot of friends. That is more than most have accomplished. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

just incredibly sad ... what a loss...

my heart goes out to Mardi and to everyone who will feel Matt's absence

I am very saddened by the loss of a very cool and remarkable guy.

Mardi, I hope that you two will be together once again in another time, in another way, in a different place. Until then may you find peace and love and joy with your friends, your family, and the creator.

Shalom,

Doc

Oh my I am shocked, I am so sorry to hear about this. I met Matt at the Not So Mega Dive last October, Mardi you have my condolences.

I a few photos of Matt at that event if you would like them, please PM me your email address and I will send them to you.

I am so sorry he was a really nice guy and passed far too young.

Back
Top Bottom