Good, durable and strong fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marty14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi; I am shopping for a new pair of fins. I have always been a fan of good stiff fins like the Dacor Turbo flex graphite (really ancient),Power Plan Graphite (I know ancient) and the US Divers Blades (also ancient). But what fins on the market at the moment also give a strong and stiff kick like these did. Also these fins where indestructible and the current compound ones look very soft and I always fear the different plastics coming apart eventually. I have checked out the Scubapro Seawing Nova Gorilla Graphite but don't like them very much. So I seem to be stuck.
Thanks
Marty :confused:

What about the Scubapro Jet Fin?

It is a classic!

Hi;
Good idea. I have had them years ago and did find them a little heavy. What I would not mind are plastic fins that are durable and stiff.
Marty :)

I like jet fins OK, but the Mares Quattro Pro's are just what you ordered. I have 5000 dives on mine, and although they look like hell, they are as good as the day I brought them home (used). I did upgrade to spring straps.

Here we go again on the fins.

Best advice would seem to be, try several different model fins, ask your friends for advice, and search here for multiple threads on the same topic.

You will get the usual suspects talking about their favs and how fit they are etc.

It is really up to you. Not everyone wants the same car. Try a few out before you buy.

Here we go again on the fins.

Best advice would seem to be, try several different model fins, ask your friends for advice, and search here for multiple threads on the same topic.

You will get the usual suspects talking about their favs and how fit they are etc.

It is really up to you. Not everyone wants the same car. Try a few out before you buy.

Excellent response mdb ! :)

The OP needs to seek out DEMOS.... Find Dive stores that care enough about your business to let you do a DEMO -- It helps when the manufacturers want this, but ultimately the store is responsible if they want to pretend they care about the lines they carry.... All fins are NOT equal...Not even close!!!!

The Hog classic tech fins are jetfin clones and aren't quite as heavy. They do work great and the price is great too.

I do like the sound of Quattros and they have been around for ages. I just don't like heavy fins. I used to use them in my commercial diving days to do hull inspections etc. and I always found they put my buoyancy off. But I guess that is a personal choice. I am just getting back into diving and am finding a lot of the new gear difficult to get my head around. Like one piece wetsuits for example.
What about Oceanic Vipers ?
The problem is I am just now moving back to Sydney and I have lost contact with a lot of the dive shops there, but I do know most do want you to try before you buy fins, due to the wear and tear on a dive.
So any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Marty :)

TS&M says good things about the DiveRite EXPS. Long like the Quattros but apparently much lighter. But as has been said try before you buy if you can, one shoe does not fit all. People tend to recommend what they own or Jets, I won't do either.

Back
Top Bottom