GUE Training Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you get a rec pass, you can proceed with GUE's recreational program (Rec 3, Doc. diver, DPV1, etc)

Yes, Rivers, thanks for adding that. I mentioned a tech pass to get into Level 1 tech courses, but forgot to mention a rec pass is not the end of GUE training. :) As a matter of fact a know a gentlemen that received his rec pass and continued on to Rec 3, and that is as far as he wants to go. :)

---------- Post added January 9th, 2014 at 01:13 PM ----------

Nick (ScubaMarketing)

So - here is your refund THAT YOU NEVER ASKED FOR.. I also still stand by my offer to give you a FREE Fundamentals class on top of this refund.. Its clear that you had a seemingly bad experience and that is not typical of GUE and not representative of who we are.

Very nice, Koos!

This is certainly above and beyond, but I too have come to see this from GUE instructors (Disclaimer: I didn't say all....just those I know). My Fundies instructor, Doug Mudry, bent over backward to help us. I won't go into specifics as it's in my class report and don't want to take up space here.

First of all... Koos, I really hope to meet you some day! I've heard great things about you from mutual friends and you refunding money and still offering to wrap up the class shows me that you are truly passionate about what you do and you genuinely care!

But I have to admit I am honestly a little confused. Please note... I don't know Nick or Koos - I have no dog in this fight. I am not clear why is everyone so angst-y over what Nick said. He never said fundies was bad, even for most people. I honestly did not read what he wrote as a negative review of the class. He just said he didn't believe it would be worth it to him to spend the money twice. I can understand that! Out of my initial class of six, only two of us coughed up money for a second class. Was everyone else thinking they were too good? No, the cost benefit just wasn't there.

With regards to other issues... Nick said he didn't think it needed to be cancelled due to visibility, Koos explained there were standards he would have been violating, ok, that explained that. Nick repeatedly took responsibility for HIS schedule being difficult, he wasn't putting that on Koos either.

Can people say their experience was not the greatest thing since sliced bread without getting skewered? Everyone's personal story about Fundies isn't all rainbows and unicorns. I, for one, appreciate alternative perspectives because combined with the "w0000ttt" reports, they paint a *realistic* picture (not everyone has the stereotypical "i thought i was all that, discovered how far off i really was; i was humbled but not humiliated, can't wait for the next step!" theme ).

Anyway, again, kudos to Koos for his refund to Nick and for his offer. Either one was, I am sure, more than expected, but both... You have my respect sir.

In this instance, it would be due to the fact that he based his opinion on a course that he didn't complete.
And apparently was disingenuous about how much of the class he actually took.
He acted (or pointed it out in a post) as if he were upset that people "accused" him of not taking the course.
He didn't take much of it at all. So why get upset if people call you out on it.

I agree; I like reading the less favorable course reports also. They are very helpful in deciding whether or not to take the course.

In this case, it seems as if he just looked at the course curriculum, and just determined the things he felt he could already do; and then dismissed continuing.
As if to say...I already know all of that, so there's no point in taking it.

That fine to to, people are free to choose what they want and don't want.

But don't go posting negative opinions about it, as if to sway others, when there is no real basis for those opinions.

They way this thread played out, is very funny.

+1 on what pullmyfinger said.

I completely believe in critique, especially if that critique can help me improve myself or my classes or the organization. In fact GUE has a policy that requires 100% QA feedback from students.. You will NOT get a cert card after a class unless you send a QA form to headquarters - even if you fail the class, the Instructor can not close a completed class out unless all QA forms have been submitted.. i.e. we require the opportunity for feedback after a class (Good, bad and indifferent). But in this case there was never any feedback or any fair attempts on Nick's part to complete the class. But yet he shared publicly his opinion on a class that he never completed.

Its kinda like going to Berkley and paying the tuition but never go to class, even after the professors pinged you multiple times to arrange a way to make it work.. Then you go completely silent and 2 years later you write negative review of how useless the course content was (that you never attended) and ding the university's policies for not granting you a degree or giving you a refund.

I'm not entirely sure how this has spiraled down to this, because Nick is actually in my opinion a really great guy with a heck of sense of humor and we got along pretty darn well in the couple days that he was in class and he was appreciative of the fact that we had to RESCHEDULE the class dives due to conditions and I even felt we had formed a friendship of sorts, so this whole Scubaboard post admittedly blindsided me quite a bit.

Either way, in my mind I have done all I possibly can to put this to rest and If Nick really wants to do a GUE Fundies class or believes there is benefit in pursuing GUE Training, the door is WIDE open.

Sorry, I'm not going to play with this one.....
GUE "is" on the top of the pyramid, and it is unique, in that they are the ones that developed such a high caliber course FIRST......Any Agency or instructor in any agency, is welcome to try and copy as much of the GUE Fundies course as they like--few attempts exists...of course UTD is one bastard child that appears to be doing well , and is close in course, and good in the overall copying of GUE material. Whether YOU have copied much of the course, or some other PADI or NAUI or NASE instructor has made a copy and a Specialty that they are now teaching......this is an issue of watching an innovator, and attempting to get close to it.....

Being a "wannabe GUE instructor", under the mantle of PADI or NAUI or NASE, is actually a good thing--this post may make it seem like I am degrading them--I do NOT mean to....But I do want to stress that the REAL BENEFIT which can now spread to all the copiers, and the top PRAISE, still goes to the group that CREATED all of this, from the training VACUUM ( no high level recreational training existing) prior to GUE.

All that being said Peter, what you have accomplished is ALSO something BIG to be very proud of.

Dan, when you are trying to make a point that people shouldn't engage in "negative marketing advertorials", it doesn't help your credibility to refer to UTD as a "bastard child".

+1 on what pullmyfinger said.

I completely believe in critique, especially if that critique can help me improve myself or my classes or the organization. In fact GUE has a policy that requires 100% QA feedback from students.. You will NOT get a cert card after a class unless you send a QA form to headquarters - even if you fail the class, the Instructor can not close a completed class out unless all QA forms have been submitted.. i.e. we require the opportunity for feedback after a class (Good, bad and indifferent). But in this case there was never any feedback or any fair attempts on Nick's part to complete the class. But yet he shared publicly his opinion on a class that he never completed.

Its kinda like going to Berkley and paying the tuition but never go to class, even after the professors pinged you multiple times to arrange a way to make it work.. Then you go completely silent and 2 years later you write negative review of how useless the course content was (that you never attended) and ding the university's policies for not granting you a degree or giving you a refund.

I'm not entirely sure how this has spiraled down to this, because Nick is actually in my opinion a really great guy with a heck of sense of humor and we got along pretty darn well in the couple days that he was in class and he was appreciative of the fact that we had to RESCHEDULE the class dives due to conditions and I even felt we had formed a friendship of sorts, so this whole Scubaboard post admittedly blindsided me quite a bit.

Either way, in my mind I have done all I possibly can to put this to rest and If Nick really wants to do a GUE Fundies class or believes there is benefit in pursuing GUE Training, the door is WIDE open.

If I bash you and GUE for a while, can I have a free fundies class too? :D

Dan, when you are trying to make a point that people shouldn't engage in "negative marketing advertorials", it doesn't help your credibility to refer to UTD as a "bastard child".
:D But I did mean it in a nice way....as in the conception of Tom Jones..a History of a Foundling..

Tom Jones---or UTD, has grown into a vigorous and lusty, yet honest and kind-hearted, "training agency" . This young upstart develops an affection for much of what Jarrod Jablonski and GUE care most about..... On one hand, this affection for the fruits of GUE procreation, reflects a romantic comedy.... However, UTD's status as a bastard offspring, causes Jarrod and several others to oppose any union or closeness between the 2 agencies.

:D But I did mean it in a nice way....as in the conception of Tom Jones..a History of a Foundling..

Tom Jones---or UTD, has grown into a vigorous and lusty, yet honest and kind-hearted, "training agency" . This young upstart develops an affection for much of what Jarrod Jablonski and GUE care most about..... On one hand, this affection for the fruits of GUE procreation, reflects a romantic comedy.... However, UTD's status as a bastard offspring, causes Jarrod and several others to oppose any union or closeness between the 2 agencies.

probably doesn't matter, I think scubamarketing is about to go dark for 2 months again :)

I kind of feel bad for Scuba marketing.

He probably got a bit carried away, and then sort of painted himself into a corner. I doubt he intended for it all to play out the way it did.
I imagine he might be a little embarrassed at the moment.

We used to refer to it in the Army as "stepping on your own dick."

I've done it myself, a time or two in the past.

Who knows...he might end up taking the Fundamentals course, have a great time, and learn a few things in the process. One day, we might all be reading his course report.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2014 at 02:15 PM ----------

-----------------------------------------

Mr. du Preez,

You are a real Pro.
A true Gent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom