GUE Training Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are a shinning example of the good in GUE....Every single person I have met from GUE (Instructor, Instructor Candidate, Former Students) have exuded a sense of passion that is hard to put in words. It isn't about the money as much as it is the "Education" and the awesome people you meet along the way. Going to High Springs, MX, Canada is like an Episode of Cheers where everyone knows your name and are just AWESOME people to be around. THAT is something I haven't found from any other agency.

Koos, the next time you're in Chicago your first charter and meal are on me! I'd offer a place to stay, but three kids makes meaningful sleep kind of hard.

Nick (ScubaMarketing)

It seems that you are sour that you had to pay for a class but never completed the class due to your own scheduling conflicts and non responsiveness. (i.e. not owning the goal of completing the class)

I never received ANY feedback or requests to this effect.. But it seems that in order to put this issue at rest, a refund is what you seek..

I just sent you a $500 refund on your $650 tuition and I figure that almost 2 years after the class and the 2 days you spent in the class, a $500 refund is more than fair.

The only think I ask is that you refrain from any further negative reviews on a class that you never actually completed.

You did 2 days of theory and did not do a single full dive in the class.. In fact you attended less than 20% of that class and didnt complete any dives.

You never actually completed a GUE Fundies class and in my mind that does not qualify you to an opinion of the class.

So - here is your refund THAT YOU NEVER ASKED FOR.. I also still stand by my offer to give you a FREE Fundamentals class on top of this refund.. Its clear that you had a seemingly bad experience and that is not typical of GUE and not representative of who we are.

66rM27y.jpg

What kind of $hit do I have to say to get a hook up on Tech1?

I'll start a thread now!:cheers:

Any Agency or instructor in any agency, is welcome to try and copy as much of the GUE Fundies course as they like--few attempts exists...of course UTD is one bastard child that appears to be doing well , and is close in course, and good in the overall copying of GUE material.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that AG was instrumental in developing the training curriculum. So copy might not be the most appropriate word to use.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that AG was instrumental in developing the training curriculum. So copy might not be the most appropriate word to use.

I was going to answer this....but my answer would likely cause a useless argument, that would serve no purpose.

I was going to answer this....but my answer would likely cause a useless argument, that would serve no purpose.

Scroll up, and look at the top/left of your screen.....you need a reminder of where you are. :D

What what what!!!!! I can't believe this. This is ultimate professionalism and good will. I don't even have other words to describe it.

Nick (ScubaMarketing)

It seems that you are sour that you had to pay for a class but never completed the class due to your own scheduling conflicts and non responsiveness. (i.e. not owning the goal of completing the class)

I never received ANY feedback or requests to this effect.. But it seems that in order to put this issue at rest, a refund is what you seek..

I just sent you a $500 refund on your $650 tuition and I figure that almost 2 years after the class and the 2 days you spent in the class, a $500 refund is more than fair.

The only think I ask is that you refrain from any further negative reviews on a class that you never actually completed.

You did 2 days of theory and did not do a single full dive in the class.. In fact you attended less than 20% of that class and didnt complete any dives.

You never actually completed a GUE Fundies class and in my mind that does not qualify you to an opinion of the class.

So - here is your refund THAT YOU NEVER ASKED FOR.. I also still stand by my offer to give you a FREE Fundamentals class on top of this refund.. Its clear that you had a seemingly bad experience and that is not typical of GUE and not representative of who we are.

66rM27y.jpg

---------- Post added January 9th, 2014 at 07:00 PM ----------

I agree failing is definitely a possibility. But what I want to get across is not to emphasize on the pass/fail status, instead, focus on the learning part. toward the end of my class, I really don't care the pass/fail result anymore because I felt I had learned so much. And I think I would be a better/safer diver even if I end up not passing. This is exactly how I felt when just before the final review/feedback session. The content of the class and the learning process is so much more valueable than the pass.

I do appreciate the fact this post was qualified to say "...you are not likely to receive a 'fail'" (emphasis mine):D

I want to set the record straight here, which I have done in the past and I am sure I will do again. I FAILED Fundies the first time I took it: I was told it was a skills issue. Please note that with different instructors, within six months from that original (failed) Fundies class, I had achieved a tech pass and within a year I had passed Tech1, so I don't think I was THAT hopeless but my original instructor/s did.

My original reason for taking Fundies had nothing to do with passing or not passing although TBH it did not occur to me I would FAIL... I wanted to be a better diver (improve my skills) and I wanted to learn more about this system of diving. I had no ego; I wasn't interested in moving forward in the technical curriculum with GUE (too expensive) and I had no interest in cave diving (anyone who knows me now will find that very amusing). I knew there were pass levels, but any thought I put into it, I am sure I just assumed I would provisional... I didn't have exposure to GUE prior and knew rec and tech passes could be challenging for people who DID have exposure, and I *thought* no one failed unless there was an attitude or a safety issue.

So every time I see statements like this I put my experience out there, because I just want people to know it is a possibility.

Hello DIR Divers
I have been researching GUE diving and it appears that, due to their high standards, many people do not pass on their first attempt. As best I can tell, a class is approx. $500 - $600 plus expenses. So my question is if a 'candidate' does not pass on the first attempt, do they have to pay the $500-6000 again or does GUE allow the instructor to work with them until they meet the standards?

Hi, Dave.

I took GUE's Rec 1 class, since I had never dove before. Hence, I know almost nothing about other organization's teaching methods and certification standards, although I did some research on a few of them; hence, I do not have the level of experience you already have. All I have is Rec 1 certification. I reply because you are asking about GUE instruction in general.

I went to the class with the expectation (and fear) that I could fail; but I was committed to eventually pass, which of course was at a lower level than a tech pass in Fundies. I learned quite a bit and I plan to take more GUE classes in my area (the Saint Lawrence River, New York's side) when winter ends. My next class will be a drysuit class so that I do not feel limited by the weather! My report on that class is in the "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" forum. I should add to the report that, since I posted it, I have done more diving in the northeast and the southeast, always with a buddy or two, and I love it.

Hi, Dave.

I took GUE's Rec 1 class, since I had never dove before. Hence, I know almost nothing about other organization's teaching methods and certification standards, although I did some research on a few of them; hence, I do not have the level of experience you already have. All I have is Rec 1 certification. I reply because you are asking about GUE instruction in general.

I went to the class with the expectation (and fear) that I could fail; but I was committed to eventually pass, which of course was at a lower level than a tech pass in Fundies. I learned quite a bit and I plan to take more GUE classes in my area (the Saint Lawrence River, New York's side) when winter ends. My next class will be a drysuit class so that I do not feel limited by the weather! My report on that class is in the "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" forum. I should add to the report that, since I posted it, I have done more diving in the northeast and the southeast, always with a buddy or two, and I love it.

Can you tell us more about your Rec1 class? What skills did they teach etc? I had thought it included drysuit training as part of it, but I also knew they were trying to make it shorter and more attractive to new divers.

Can you tell us more about your Rec1 class? What skills did they teach etc? I had thought it included drysuit training as part of it, but I also knew they were trying to make it shorter and more attractive to new divers.
Hi, OzGriffo.

The following is a link to my report: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...gue-entry-level-class-complete-dive-noob.html

Among the practical skills I learned there were the five tasks, which included mask clearing and removal, switching regs--to the necklace reg and back to the long hose reg, and long hose deployment. Also, we had to do drills sharing gas and leading the swim to exit point and ascent; we had to deploy a SMB, and we had to learn buddy awareness (very difficult because it requires teamwork from the beginning as we discuss goals, check equipment, discuss the environment, and move on to swimming always together and aware of the other), all within the required buoyancy and trim, safe descents and ascents... This a link to GUE's course description: Recreational Diver Level 1 - Nitrox diver | Global Underwater Explorers. As I said in my report, it was not easy for me and I had to practice a lot before I attained the required proficiency.

We started in a pool and moved to open water (the St. Lawrence River). It was cool (well, it was sometimes really cool) to dive at the St. Lawrence because there is a wreck right off Alexandria Bay conveniently located at 60 feet with very mild to hardly noticeable current. Descents were particularly tricky for me because I have a deviated septum and, I learned that perhaps because of it, I do not equalize as efficiently as others when descending; hence, I have to be aware of descending very slowly.

If there is one defining moment for me in the class, it took place at the beginning, when the instructor showed me of what I could be capable; then it was a question of taking (very difficult for me) steps to get there; but I was shown in a very practical way that I could achieve the goals and objectives of the course: For instance, pictures taken of me by the instructor when I was on horizontal trim, as well as short video of moments when I had buoyancy control. Hence, the ideal image of myself as a diver came from the first set of pictures and video of me in the water. I think that is a very effective teaching method: Not only the goals and objectives of the course are presented clearly, but also it is shown to the students that they can achieve them. Furthermore, I had no preconceptions regarding diving, and that was helpful.

In answer to your question about dry suits, no drysuit was required for my class. I do not know if it ever was required in Rec 1. That would be a significant investment if it was ever required for absolute beginners, and I agree that it would also make the class more difficult (and longer).

GUE has a dry suit class, which I hope to take in March or April, since it is difficult for me to do more than two dives in a wet suit when the air temperature is cold. Those with better knowledge of GUE's 14-15 years of existence would know about past requirements. I saw a documentary a few months ago on Rec 1. I believe the documentary was made in the Red Sea in 2009 or 2010, and it seems to document one of GUE's first Rec 1 classes; two of the students were wearing dry suits and one student was wearing a wet suit at the beginning of that class, but towards the end all were wearing dry suits. (You can find the documentary at "Testing New Waters" GUE Rec1 dive course on Vimeo.)

I hope I have answered your questions.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom