Guests of Sunscape, Secrets & Residencias Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can still stay at the all inclusive resort and use the resort's dive operation. In fact, I have to wonder how many people stay at an AI and choose to treat it as a regular hotel instead of as an AI by going with a third party for parts of their trip. Personally, if I do an AI I want it to include everything. Unless there was some super compelling reason to do otherwise, I want to stay, eat, drink, and dive with the resort. Ideally I wouldn't have to leave the resort grounds for anything unless I decided to go see the rest of the island. If I'm treating it as a hotel, then I would not stay at an AI because I wouldn't want to pay AI prices.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet most people staying at these places share my opinion and therefore won't be affected one way or another.

Been going to Coz for 21 years now, always AI and never once used onsite op lol. I pick my hotel not based on the onsite op, as most of them........well they suck. :) Most people I know who go there do the same once they figure out that the onsite ops generally pretty poor.

Works out quite well too as I get the best of both worlds (my wife gets AI and I get to pick my dive op)!

Any update Christi?????

Been going to Coz for 21 years now, always AI and never once used onsite op lol. I pick my hotel not based on the onsite op, as most of them........well they suck. :) Most people I know who go there do the same once they figure out that the onsite ops generally pretty poor.

Works out quite well too as I get the best of both worlds (my wife gets AI and I get to pick my dive op)!

Any update Christi?????

No update yet - will keep everyone posted.

Reading a review on TripAdvisor this week and came across one review that mentioned that Sabor Sunscape/Secrets resorts are now charging a $2 dock fee per person per day for outside dive ops to use their pier to pick up divers or snorkelers. I talked to the dive ops I use down there and they said yes they are charging it to the dive ops not to the hotel guest but the charge will be passed on to the customer by them. I know $2 doesn't sound like much but its the nickel and diming by resorts that puts off customers--so much for "all inclusive". I emailed Secrets resort in Coz and they replied that we're not charging our guests--I replied back that yes you are as this charge will trickle down to the diver. I know other resorts on the south end also charges but I've stayed at Sunscape before and enjoyed the convenience of being picked up at their dock with no charge. Ownership recently changed hands and I guess they are trying to recoup their costs $2 at a time lol. Just a little info---good diving!

Ooops! I just posted about the charge by Secrets to use their pier before seeing your post. Maybe if enough divers that have used their resorts complain (as I did) that they may reconsider their fee. I hate using social media as a tool to threaten by saying I won't stay at their resort anymore because of this fee but whatever may work---I can't believe you need to jump through so many hoops to pay this fee---unbelievable! I rather enjoyed my time at Sunscape--will I reconsider staying there next time because of this fee? Maybe--how much easier it would have been if they just increased their room prices by $2 a night--I would never have known it was to cover a stupid dock fee.

I can't believe you need to jump through so many hoops to pay this fee---unbelievable! I rather enjoyed my time at Sunscape--will I reconsider staying there next time because of this fee? Maybe--how much easier it would have been if they just increased their room prices by $2 a night--I would never have known it was to cover a stupid dock fee.

Agree - there is some frustration as an all inclusive traveler to have to pay this when I'd just as soon see it buried into my overall expense. And, maybe with the apparent transition in management / ownership or whatever is going on, that will occur going forward. When this thread surfaced, I email Secrets and have been told via reply email that the $2 ticket is available at front desk for me to pick up daily. This is not a hoop that my dive op has top spend 1 minute of their time doing and is of no burden to them whatsoever as far as time, or expense is concerned, which is good. For me, well, I am walking right on by the front desk on my way to the dock anyways.

The blowing wind and Norte activity has me more sleepless at night than this!

I email Secrets and have been told via reply email that the $2 ticket is available at front desk for me to pick up daily
Sounds like an easy enough solution.

I have stayed at the condos and at secrets several times and never had a problem this must be something new they are doing.

I emailed Secrets resorts yesterday and paying this fee at the front desk was not told to me as a option--the charge would be to the dive op. Now if I can pay this fee myself and save the hassle of my dive op trying to run around getting vouchers I may still consider staying at the resort---maybe. If it isn't really a option and my dive op refuses to pay this fee and not pick me up at that pier and I need to take a taxi to the marina which is about $10 or more each way then no way will I be staying there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom