Guests of Sunscape, Secrets & Residencias Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The latest and brief update:

On January 9th, 35 dive operators met in person with the General Manager Ulises Guzman in a very united front standing firm with our position that if they continue to bill the dive ops directly for the pier fees, we will cease providing service to the pier - period. We went with a solution oriented attitude and approach. We offered various alternatives and viable solutions for him to achieve his goal while not inconveniencing guests or the operators they voluntarily choose.

During this meeting, Sr. Guzman made it very clear that the guests CANNOT purchase bracelets on their own.

We were told that we would have an answer within 48 hours (by the 11th). When no response was received on the 11th, I followed up and he replied that he would provide an answer on January 16th. Yesterday, he replied that he still needed more time and that he will provide a solution at the end of this month.

As a group, we have agreed to give them this time to implement a solution. We WANT a solution that is mutually beneficial - beneficial to the hotel, dive operators AND above all the guests.

Since the meeting, pier security is still restricting access, but inconsistently. In the meantime, the dive operators represented (as well as many others who could not attend the meeting) will NOT be paying these pier fees or purchasing bracelets. Some operators will continue to pick up from the beach for the time being - which requires the divers wading out to the boat.

We are hopeful that a resolution will be reached by the end of January.

Well hopefully the delay in his decision is based on many members here emailing to complain about the fee or I should say the process to collect the fee. I could care less about the $2 fee--except where it effects my dive op to have to unnecessarily jump through hoops to pay this fee. Picking me up at the dock there is a courtesy to me and I appreciate it--it saves me time and money. My dive op Dive with Cristina has been keeping me updated on what's going on through emails and will influence my decision on where I stay this coming April especially if her choice is to not pick up at Secrets pier anymore---and I'll respect that decision. If I can pay the $2 at the front desk (complaining the whole time), get my chip or whatever to give to the dock cop and save myself money on a taxi and time to boot plus save Cristina all the headache that you mentioned then count me in. I hope Secrets will come to the realization of the mess they've created by over complicating a very simple process and listen to some of your suggestions to get this simple matter resolved.

Last edited:
Sounds like they have a mess on their hands if they're telling the operators one thing and the customers something else.

The issue is larger than just the 2 bucks at one hotel. It is the tip of a slippery slope that can spread to other hotels and 2 can become 5 and 5 can become 10.

The issue is larger than just the 2 bucks at one hotel. It is the tip of a slippery slope that can spread to other hotels and 2 can become 5 and 5 can become 10.
It's also larger because it's not about the money from either side. Compared to the amount of money visitors to the island spend every day US$2 per diver per day at a single resort is a paltry sum from the POV of both the resort and the dive ops. If it were about the money the resort would make it as painless as possible for the ops or the divers to pay the fee.

I find it laughable the response keeps being regurgitated that the guest will not be paying the 2 bucks, the dive op will. So a business incurs an added expense and it isn't expected to raise it's prices is ridiculous. I know in my business out of the goodness of my heart anytime my expenses go up I never raise prices, who needs bottom lines. I am with you Gordon, this has to be about more that the 2bucks for the hotel.

I'm a simpleton. If a hotel/resort feels it is necessary to charge $2 per day for dock privileges, why don't they just add it to the hotel bill at check in and give the guest a dock pass bracelet for the stay? Many hotels/resorts already charge a resort fee to cover activities and services provided, many guests appear willing to pay this. Bracelets are already used, especially at AIs, to designate a guest and/or level of privileges, drinks, etc. If a guest does not want to pay the dock fee, they can vote with their wallet and stay elsewhere.

I understand it is personal, to me, an extra $12 per week would not make or break my decision to stay a particular hotel/resort, chosen for a variety of higher priority criteria. The dive operators should absolutely not have to bear the burden of this additional charge or to pass it on to their customers. If this turns out to be the case, not servicing that dock is a perfectly reasonable action. I would not use a hotel/resort where I could not be picked up at the dock, I would imagine many others feel similarly.

Residencias already advertises the $2 per day dock fee on their website, I don't know about Sunscape or Secrets

How does a resort or house dive operator, get guests to use the house operator and not an outside operator ?

Many ways. This is one of them.

Resort: "We recommend you use the house operator, but you are free to use any operator you wish."

Guest: Do I have to pay extra ?

Resort: No, of course not, never. Guests do not have to pay extra.

How does a resort or house dive operator, get guests to use the house operator and not an outside operator ?

Many ways. This is one of them.

Resort: "We recommend you use the house operator, but you are free to use any operator you wish."

Guest: Do I have to pay extra ?

Resort: No, of course not, never. Guests do not have to pay extra.

I can assure you that is NOT the reason. They get their money from the onsite dive ops regardless. Just going to have to trust us on this.

I can assure you that is NOT the reason. They get their money from the onsite dive ops regardless. Just going to have to trust us on this.
Christi, I know you are honest, but something is not making sense.

Only 2 reasons for a pier fee:

- collect money to cover costs

- encourage guests to use the house operator

Even if the house operator is paying and doing the same process as outside operators, it is much easier for them, to the point that it is not much of a hassle or deterrent at all.

If were truly 100% about money, then they are losing money because of the additional overhead of the silly over-complicated process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom