Has anyone bought a drysuit from EBay?

Whats the most expensive single piece of dive gear you've bought on an auction site?

• 1000+

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • 500-999

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • 250-499

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • 125-249

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • 1-124

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • never bought anything on an auction site

Votes: 23 15.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vertaqua

Reaction score
I saw some real good deals on various auction sites, but I'm a little hesitant. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences buying major scuba comonents(not just a knife or a hood) from an auction site(EBay or otherwise)?

I've bought a couple of items from ebay (knife, light). I wouldn't really hesitate to buy something like a wing or BC if I wanted to.. and a tank if the price was right. I'm not sure about a reg, but I don't think I'd buy a drysuit from ebay. There are enough great deals on drysuits out there at dive stores that it's not really necessary... you can order a nice drysuit for less than $600, and you're getting something you know is new, and you'll have a business to deal with instead of an email address.

It's not so much the expense that bothers me (I've bought many more expensive things off ebay), but I don't see the need unless there's a tremendous deal.. say a new CF200 for $250 :p

Then, well, maybe. I'm such a cheapskate I can't pass up some deals :wink:

Yup,
I bought a used, though in EC, US Divers 2-piece farmer john wetsuit for $70 + S&H, and its great. I have bought and sold lots of items thru eBay and never had a problem.

I bought a Bare D-7 Supra drysuit for $330!! fits great!!
I have also bought fins and a knife on e-bay.
I do check the sellers feedback. I don't think I would take a chance on a more expensive item from someone without positive feedback.

I have seen some good deals on drysuits there.

All my e-bay experiences have been good ones. :)

I bought a drysuit on the Internet from Aqua=systems diveaqua.com ordered it 4 months ago couldn’t get a response on my replies. When I sent a cancellation notice they charged my credit card for the suit. I still haven’t got it. AQUA-SYSTEMS IS BAD NEWS.

I've had quite a lot of experience on eBay: my wife has been selling antiques there full-time for 2+ years, and I help her out, as well as sell musical instruments as a sideline. I have also bought and sold a fair amount of scuba gear.
Here's a few things that I've learned:

Allways check a seller's feedback. Most sellers are everyday, honest people using eBay like a classified ad, however you find everything from large retailers looking for another outlet to the scum of the earth. If in doubt, email former customers listed on the seller's feedback page.

Make sure you understand the terms of the sale. Can you return it? How much is shipping?

Check the price against what you would pay at a regular internet dealer. People often bid an item up past it's real value.

Use your " My eBay" page to bookmark multiple auctions of the same or similar items. This has often helped me to find the best price.

If you buy something that just dosn't work out, like a wetsuit that dosn't quite fit, you can allways resell it.

My best bargains: Mares Ruby reg w/octo and an older air-integrated computer for $225, new BARE 7mm wetsuit for $160.

I bought my Zeagle drysuit, 2nd Zeagle Regulator, Stinger computer, Fins, Mask, and some tanks off eBAY. With the exception of one deal I have had great luck on eBAY. You just have to do your research first. This board and the manufacture web page is an excellent way to find out if the item is what you actually want. Usually the descriptions placed by the seller's aren't that great so if your not positive email them to find out if there was anything left out.

I bought a dry suit on ebay. It was part of a 1998 shipment that was overstocked. I paid about $200 and had the seller install the valves-all told with shipping, about $300.

It is a DUI suit wo the labels. My thinking was, if it fits and works, great. If not, it was a relatively small investment.

I took it to the quarry to "wring it out"-works great.

This is not my ultimate dry suit-it is neoprene and I want trilam. However, for just a little $, I can dive much more comfortably until my wife comes to her senses.:eek:ut:

Pretty much anything that I would buy from ebay that has working parts I would want to beat on in a controlled situation, and/or have it serviced before using. If you can still call the purchase a deal after that, I think it is a fine method.

BTW-after buying another set of jet fins (bigger) spring straps and a weight harness, the price for the dry suit is a little higher than I originally thought!

I bought my computer on ebay. Very happy with it and the price!

Marc

I have bought a BC and wetsuit on Ebay. Both were in excellent condition.
Know the max you are willing to pay and stick to it. I have see (and got) some reaally great deals on Ebay. I have also see people pay more than MSRP!
Follow MgicTwnger"s advice.
My best deal was a Henderson Gold 7mm jumpsuit and a 5/3 gold hooded vest for $125.00, the seller threw in a bottle of wetsuit shampoo and a bottle of BC conditioner.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom