Haven't gone diving in 3 years, do I need to take a course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Obviously you should probably take the refresher. I've never heard of a requirement of diving once every 6 months. I don't THINK it's a PADI rule-maybe a rule by the dive op you go with? I always thought that after certified it's up to you to refresh or not.

Obviously you should probably take the refresher. I've never heard of a requirement of diving once every 6 months. I don't THINK it's a PADI rule-maybe a rule by the dive op you go with? I always thought that after certified it's up to you to refresh or not.

PADI OW Knowledge Review #5 suggests that divers do a refresher if they go several months or more without diving. No number is specified.

All PADI trainers offer a quickie course called SCUBA Tune-up. Take the pool course and burn a tankof air to get used to it again. 15 dives that long ago you can forget a lot

I contacted a dive club in Spain that I want to go with, they're policy is if you haven't dived in 12 months you need the refresher. So I'll have to take it. They said I could do it there but I'd rather do it here so I don't waste time over there. Unfortunately I had a cold recently so I had to wait a bit but I've found a few dive clubs in Paris so I'm just hoping one of them has availability in the next 10 days, otherwise I'll just have to do it in Spain. Anyway, thanks for all your advice.

Ok, well I live in Paris so there's not much to dive here... Maybe the Seine but it won't be very pretty. But maybe there are dive training centers that use the swimming pool. I'd rather do it here and not have to worry about it on vacation since I won't have too much time there. Anyway thanks for the replies, that was quick :)

All you need is a refresher and a PADI instructor that has access to a swimming pool.
Finding a PADI Instructor in Paris in not impossible.

OK guys, thanks for all the responses, I got it done Tuesday and it was a good thing because I did really forget a lot of basic stuff, like how to set up the equipment. But now I feel ready and I'll be diving on Monday.

Hi,

I did my PADI open water and advanced open water about 3 years ago. I logged roughly 15 dives. I'm going to be in the south of Spain next month and I'm planning on doing some dives. I seem to recall there being a requirement to dive at least once every 6 months (or some time period). What do I have to do in this case since I don't want to retake the whole course. One of the dive sites that I was looking at actually does require advanced open water padi and I'd like to do that one (maybe not the first dive... but by the end of the trip :) ). Thanks for any advice on this.

Just to be fair, you might inquire what the conditions are specifically that you'll be diving in and then try to take a refresher course that addresses that type of condition. An example, if you are diving in a very low visibility, you might want to touch up on your navigation skills...some night diving = do some night dive refreshers. be prepared for the type of diving you'll do and you'll be fine. Make sure to notify the DM or guide that you want to take it easy the first dive to ease into it and have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom