help i.d. this scubapro computer. is it any good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well we all seem to be in agreement that it is old. It came on a mk10 regulator in an old hippo bag with tiny little tusa black and white vintage booties and a divetopia black silicone mask with a son of the gun snorkel also a scubapro finseal bcd a mariner suits cyclone hood and two sets of jetfins. All for less than 40 bucks. I'm sure I did well on price I just need to see what useable oh and an older scubapro jm cousteau wet suit, sadly too small

It's worth $40 for interest alone.

Post that beast on the vintage site here on SB cov or one of the vintage guru's will give you the correct answer.

Two sets of jet fins! At $40.00 you beat em on that alone. Look at jet fins on Ebay $40.00 for one pair is a deal!
that compass is probably worth more than forty dollars and it works as good as any other compass mag north is mag north as long as it doesn't fall apart you'll probably use it until you lose it or drop a tank on it!

The MK10 is a work horse that will never let you down and is as good or better than new $1200 regulator made today. Most of the regs made today wouldn't be on ebay in 30 years they'll be in the recycle bin.

You did fine!

I do not think it is a dive computer. Probably reads tank pressure,depth,bottom time,surface interval. Try hooking up to tank pressure and see if it turns on. Not having buttons tells you it needs to be connected to a tank.

I just purchased this scubapro mk10 rig and it has this computer attached. I can't find it online maybe because there is no visible model number. Is it a good computer and how do I test it? Changing the batteries did not activate the display, does it require something more? I am just starting out here and trying to collect enough equipment for a beginner to do a few dives (after appropriate training of course) I know some things can be money pits and others serviceable equipment I just don't know which is which

I don't recognise it but I think I can answer your main question. Should you dive with it? No.

Scubapro was an early innovator in computers for diving and even their best (early) design earned the well deserved nickname "Bend-o-matic". I don't recognise the computer in the picture but the general design of it makes me think that it's a 1980's model. Enough has changed and has been learned about decompression theory in the last 30 years that I would strongly advise not to use it for actual dives. Buy a more modern computer.

R..

I don't recognise it but I think I can answer your main question. Should you dive with it? No. Scubapro was an early innovator in computers for diving and even their best (early) design earned the well deserved nickname "Bend-o-matic". I don't recognise the computer in the picture but the general design of it makes me think that it's a 1980's model. Enough has changed and has been learned about decompression theory in the last 30 years that I would strongly advise not to use it for actual dives. Buy a more modern computer. R..
agreed. but in all fairness, the bend o matic was a mechanical dive computer. no electronics. not much chance of success. mine is in great shape, but i am afraid to get it wet.
this unit reminds me of the "edge" and the tekna computek. likely the same vintage. and as noted it may simply be electronic gauges, not a computer.
the op reported that they changed the batteries. can you provide more info and maybe some images?
i would not rely on this unit. taking it out of the console can do no harm.

10zcqk2.jpg
2nh14bp.jpg

---------- Post added September 5th, 2015 at 03:47 PM ----------

2l8883q.jpg

33e2z3n.jpg

72qdmd.jpg

See if anyone has complete 1988 thru 1991 Scubapro catalogs. I believe anything earlier would be analog and later would be a computer. It's probably a combination pressure, depth, bottom timer. If it was sold over multiple years, I think we would have seen more around over the years. The red color makes me think somewhere between 1988 to 1991.

Does anyone have old catalogs?

The fact that it looks like it takes AA batteries makes me laugh. Scubapro? Replace your own battery? What were they thinking?

Last edited:
I would agree that this would have to be very late 80's or early 90's. I have seen another one before, but I can't remember where. I also think that I did see it in a catalog.
Scubapro experimented with many products that were not around for long.

Found! Thanks to a helpful and knowledgeable member of this board I now know it's scubapos first digital instrument cluster circa 1990 it reads pressure time and depth as was stated and it is pressure activated so I need a tank to check functionality.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom