Help Me Get Bp/w for Smaller Wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. I've read all the reviews on the VDH 35#, so I think we'll go that route. I don't like the price of the DSS backplate, but because of her size I see it being the most comfortable, it is what it is.

I appreciate the link to the sale, but it doesn't seem like anyone has gotten a hold of her:(

Can't seem to locate weight plates for DSS plates, really not a fan of weight belts. Is there something that everyone uses. I was sort of toying with the idea of adding trim pockets on the cam band, and maybe trying out a set of deep 6 16lb (8lb a piece) removable weight pockets?

For the harness I was going to just get a basic harness from wherever I bought some of the other stuff?

Edit: thanks @nismomobber for the pictures. Put my mind at ease knowing it will work.

Last edited:
Ok. I've read all the reviews on the VDH 35#, so I think we'll go that route. I don't like the price of the DSS backplate, but because of her size I see it being the most comfortable, it is what it is.

I appreciate the link to the sale, but it doesn't seem like anyone has gotten a hold of her:(

Can't seem to locate weight plates for DSS plates, really not a fan of weight belts. Is there something that everyone uses. I was sort of toying with the idea of adding trim pockets on the cam band, and maybe trying out a set of deep 6 16lb (8lb a piece) removable weight pockets?

For the harness I was going to just get a basic harness from wherever I bought some of the other stuff?

Edit: thanks @nismomobber for the pictures. Put my mind at ease knowing it will work.

I use 2 trim weights in the tank cam bands, as well as 2 weight pockets on the waist. Both Dive Rite, but that’s because my rig is Dive Rite. Otherwise, any pockets would do.

This set of trim pockets is inexpensive:

XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket

I think I've managed to read most of this thread-your choice for the VDH 35 lb wing makes sense. Is the DSS plate designed for single tank diving? If so, disregard the rest of the following drivel.

You're going through a lot of trouble to find an optimal combination of BP/W, so why not use a backplate designed for a single tank setup rather than modified double tank design? Get in line for a Freedom Plate or EZ Pak. Until then, buy a cheap BP and sell it when the real thing arrives. Store | Vintage Double Hose or Blue Reef Stainless Steel Back Plate

There's no wrong answer to the weighting question. Do what makes you feel comfortable. I have the plate with weight plates and a very small weight belt (Mako rubber and pinch weights) and that gives me warm and fuzzys when I dive. I like to keep some on myself and not on the rig but that's just me.

Some weight on the cam bands is a good idea. Some on the harness waist band is a good idea. Some on a separate weight belt is a good idea. Or any combination of those. Again, whatever makes you and your wife feel comfortable.

For the harness and other bits and pieces, I would go with other people's advice and stick to VDH. Buy the pieces you need or buy the whole rig and swap the plate when you find one. Can't really go wrong with any of these things your are considering.

I think I've managed to read most of this thread-your choice for the VDH 35 lb wing makes sense. Is the DSS plate designed for single tank diving? If so, disregard the rest of the following drivel.

You're going through a lot of trouble to find an optimal combination of BP/W, so why not use a backplate designed for a single tank setup rather than modified double tank design? Get in line for a Freedom Plate or EZ Pak. Until then, buy a cheap BP and sell it when the real thing arrives. Store | Vintage Double Hose or Blue Reef Stainless Steel Back Plate

From everything I've read, the DSS plate does good with single tank setup. That's just from reading, so I don't "know".

Eric's FP looks amazing, but would limit a lot of possibilities (training if we wanted more / doubles / etc.) His work is art though. If I was going for minimalist, I'd be in his line for sure.

For me, I agree with you 100% about the bp (to me it's just a piece of metal). The issue is I've only managed to find 3 plates for my smaller wife (5'2") that would leave "options" open so to speak. And so far DSS seems like a good fit. The pm / replies that I've gotten about it tells me she'll be very happy with it. I don't like the price at all though:(, but it is what it is, and hopefully it'll be the last plate I get her for a few years.

You've got some good suggestions for weight solutions. I have the XS Scuba weight pockets on my cam bands as well, as someone else mentioned. I actually have 2 pockets on each cam band, so it's easy to distribute weight exactly where it's needed for trim between the 2 upper and 2 lower pockets. With a steel bp, you probably won't need additional weight anywhere else.

BTW, a bp won't just last a few years, it will last many many years, perhaps a lifetime? The things you'll need to replace over many years will be the wing and webbing.

You've got some good suggestions for weight solutions. I have the XS Scuba weight pockets on my cam bands as well, as someone else mentioned. I actually have 2 pockets on each cam band, so it's easy to distribute weight exactly where it's needed for trim between the 2 upper and 2 lower pockets. With a steel bp, you probably won't need additional weight anywhere else.

BTW, a bp won't just last a few years, it will last many many years, perhaps a lifetime? The things you'll need to replace over many years will be the wing and webbing.

The xs pockets are exactly the kind I went for. Thanks!

@rob.mwpropane . Just an FYI. I believe the VDH wings come standard with a 13 inch coragated hose. This worked well for me and my 18 but Eric ordered it with a longer hose. You may want to check on this too when you order.

I keep seeing "Help me get a smaller wife" as I scan through posts.....

@rob.mwpropane . Just an FYI. I believe the VDH wings come standard with a 13 inch coragated hose. This worked well for me and my 18 but Eric ordered it with a longer hose. You may want to check on this too when you order.

I had called Mr. Bryan@VDH about that, he said I should be fine. I'm not sure how tall Eric is, I'm 5'11". If need be, I'll pack the hose up and ship it back for an exchange.

Tbh, I don't even see the option on his site to choose different size hoses anymore.

I keep seeing "Help me get a smaller wife" as I scan through posts.....

I definitely don't need a smaller wife:) I'm not that tall, but she makes me feel like a giant. If I had read the title to begin with, instead of rushing through, I probably would of noticed that is sounded like I was trying to trade my smaller wife for a bp/w. It was funny enough.....might even come true one day, who knows:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom