Hollis Explorer Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

Long time reader, first time posting to the forum. I have a question with regards to the Hollis Explorer Rebreather. I'm currently a PADI Adv. Open Water diver and am working towards my Master Scuba Certification. I have earned my Enriched Air Nitrox certification and will be continuing with the other 4 dive cards to reach my goal. I do plan to take the Standard and Advanced Rebreather training courses at the later phase of my journey, however I have one nagging question about the rebreather that has been driving me crazy because I can't find an answer to this...

I have an Atomic Cobalt 2 dive computer and I absolutely love / adore the unit. Does this dive computer work with the Hollis Rebreather or does the Hollis come with it's own Dive Computer. Adding to that question, if it DOES come with a wrist-worn computer, does the computer also have a digital compass on it?

I know it's probably a ridiculous set of questions, but I've been driving myself half-way to crazyville to figure this one out.

If anyone can let me know, I'd be forever appreciative.

Thanks.

Steve

The Hollis Explorer comes with its own computer attached. It is a cord mounted wrist computer. The Cobalt unfortunately would not be able to be used with this devise.

The Hollis comes with its own computer, I don't think it has a compass, but others here can probably confirm this (or contact Hollis).

Have a look here for more info: (click the overview tab, you can see some details regarding the computer and HUD that come with it)
EXPLORER REBREATHER

And here for even more info and some informational videos:
Hollis Explorer Rebreather Benefits Explained | Simply Scuba UK

Thanks guys... I figured the Atomic would not be needed IF I was going to use the Hollis Explorer. However, I'm more than positive there will be times I will run with a straight tank and THEN it will definitely be used. Looks like my BCD and Atomic will just be backup plans or warm water dive equipment... Thank you for the immediate and quality information. Looks like you guys will have an active participant on here going forward. :) I'll probably end up grabbing a Suunto SK7 on a retractable cord and just hang it from a D-ring. Again thank you for the clarification...

you can still hook your cobalt up to the tank on the explorer, set the nitrox percentage at whatever you have calculated, and you're good to go if you want to continue using it instead of the pressure gauge.

Why the Explorer?

you can still hook your cobalt up to the tank on the explorer, set the nitrox percentage at whatever you have calculated, and you're good to go if you want to continue using it instead of the pressure gauge.

Not sure what that would do? The computer on the explorer measurers oxygen content based on the oxygen cell information which is dynamic. The Cobalt would be static. I don't see the benefit.

allows him to use the computer he already has with a digital compass instead of having it sit in a box?

Not saying I'd do it, but if you want to use the cobalt you can with no ill effects, you just have fixed FO2 instead of real time tracking.

Hey all,

Long time reader, first time posting to the forum. I have a question with regards to the Hollis Explorer Rebreather. I'm currently a PADI Adv. Open Water diver and am working towards my Master Scuba Certification. I have earned my Enriched Air Nitrox certification and will be continuing with the other 4 dive cards to reach my goal. I do plan to take the Standard and Advanced Rebreather training courses at the later phase of my journey, however I have one nagging question about the rebreather that has been driving me crazy because I can't find an answer to this...

I have an Atomic Cobalt 2 dive computer and I absolutely love / adore the unit. Does this dive computer work with the Hollis Rebreather or does the Hollis come with it's own Dive Computer. Adding to that question, if it DOES come with a wrist-worn computer, does the computer also have a digital compass on it?

I know it's probably a ridiculous set of questions, but I've been driving myself half-way to crazyville to figure this one out.

If anyone can let me know, I'd be forever appreciative.

Thanks.

Steve

The Hollis Explorer rebreather should be avoided at ALL COSTS.....it is trash....it gives you few if any REAL advantages of a rebreather yet it increases the risks you assume while diving.

I'm sorry to be so blunt and don't take it personally, I do know a little bit about rebreathers.

As your training allows I'd look at the "tried and true" rebreather list: REVO, Dive Rite Optima, JJ, Megaladon and Hammerhead.

As far as computers go there are just 3 computers to look at when it comes to tech diving:

1) Shearwater
2) Shearwater
3) Shearwater

Your Atomic is a good computer.....the shearwater is THE standard for tech diving with good reason.

If you PM me I'd be happy to discuss this with you, I'm not an instructor and I have no interest in the dive business so take that for what its worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom