Hollis Explorer Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Hollis Explorer rebreather should be avoided at ALL COSTS.....it is trash....it gives you few if any REAL advantages of a rebreather yet it increases the risks you assume while diving.

I'm sorry to be so blunt and don't take it personally, I do know a little bit about rebreathers.

As your training allows I'd look at the "tried and true" rebreather list: REVO, Dive Rite Optima, JJ, Megaladon and Hammerhead.

As far as computers go there are just 3 computers to look at when it comes to tech diving:

1) Shearwater
2) Shearwater
3) Shearwater

Your Atomic is a good computer.....the shearwater is THE standard for tech diving with good reason.

If you PM me I'd be happy to discuss this with you, I'm not an instructor and I have no interest in the dive business so take that for what its worth.

The OP didn't say a thing about Tech diving.

It's not about tech diving...
It's about value and safety. It's also about not outgrowing your $5000 purchase.
The OP should ask himself why he wants to get into CCR. Then ask himself if the Explorer answers those questions. Then, upon seeing the problem, switch to a better rebreather. :)

Don't get me wrong. I have access to one I'll sell you. But the reason it hasn't been sold is because I try not to sell junk.

The Explorer will not do anything that a set of doubles can do for a fraction of the price.

...The Explorer will not do anything that a set of doubles can do for a fraction of the price.

I don't think that's totally true. As I understand it, the main market for the Explorer are the underwater photographers. They like it because it has the rebreather benefit of no bubbles to allow them to get closer to their target and get the picture. It costs a lot more than doubles, but it is still less expensive than a tech ccr and it doesn't require you to deal with high pressure O2. It is a niche market, but just because the market is limited, that doesn't mean that there it can't be a valid reason for someone to use something like this.

It's SCR not CCR... there's still bubbles.

There are valid reasons.... just not good reasons.

Cost -- You can get a Kiss Sidekick for the same cost an Explorer, that is a WHOLE LOT more usable -- deep, long, cheap to dive, truly bubbleless, lightweight.
You're fine with a $5000 purchase that continues to limit you to 140' and 2 hour dive for the sake of minimized bubbles -- LOL OKAY
You like the way it looks. Frankly, it does look like the unit an Imperial Trooper would wear. -- I'll give you that one.
It's cheap to dive -- Oops, it's not. Scratch that one.

Seriously, I mean this.... What is the benefit of the Hollis Explorer over other rebreathers other than cost? It's not particularly simple to use. I know instructors who are still getting floods. It's not cheap to dive with EAC costing $35 each. You can't go deep. You can't stay long. It's not particularly light. It looks cool and it's a little cheaper than most rebreathers. I'm not sure I'd go on the cheap with it's limitations, especially considering it's life support equipment.

---------- Post added October 20th, 2015 at 01:41 PM ----------

Anyone considering an explorer, reach out to me. I show you how to get into a very good used unit like a rEvo, Optima, JJ, or Meg OR a NEW KISS SIDEKICK for the same money or less.

You'll get a rebreather you truly can't outgrow. You won't be limited to 2 hours, or 130'. It will be cheaper to dive and truly bubbleless.

Good to know. I haven't encountered that, but it would be a deal breaker for my travels.

Good to know. I haven't encountered that, but it would be a deal breaker for my travels.

LOL!

Actually that was the main reason a few private yachts to choose the Explorer over a "real" rebreather. Another couple living in the Bahamas could not get oxygen but were able to get Nitrox and so they went with the Explorer. Just saying...:wink:

Because the Explorer looks like you're a Stormtrooper in the water!

Because the Explorer looks like you're a Stormtrooper in the water!

Exactly!
Holy Crap, I just had a great idea. A full face mask for the Explorer that looks like a storm troopers helmet.

Back
Top Bottom