How do YOU hold your 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So everyone is in agreement here, your wrong and everyone else is right. There is nothing wrong with covering the purge valve when putting your reg in your own mouth, infact it keeps it protected from inadverrtant purges....I kinda thought this was going someplace like this. "Im right and the rest of the world is wrong"

JohnnyH:
However, my point is that you should try to be consistent so that when confronted with a stressful situation you don't have to consciously think about your actions - they just happen.

John

Agreed.

JohnnyH:
I don't mean to imply there is only one correct way, however there is definitely an incorrect way - and covering the purge valve with your hand is definitely incorrect. Anal? Humm, sure. But if you make yourself learn to do something one way every time then when there is an emergency you can react without thinking.

Any yes - every single person I've checked out has covered their purge valve with their hand - when placing the reg in their mouth (no big deal) or when donating (big deal) during OOA. And of course it's not their fault - they were trained that way.

BTW - There have been some funny as hell posts on this thread. However to be an instructor and to say the above quote is kinda irresponsible.

John

Just a thought to ponder.

If everybody that comes to you does it this way, and you are the common denominator (unless they were all taught by the same instructor) then could it be you are wrong.

Some additional notes.

I grab mine by the hose and then push it towards they donor, but I also use a 7 foot hose so the whole process is a little different for me.

With a more traditional setup I can see, as it would be bad to grab the hose to pull the octo free, that you would grab the reg to pull it free from its holder.

When I grab my reg to put it in my mouth my palm is over the purge and I'm ready to purge if needed. When I donate that same hose to an OOG diver I instinctively keep the purge clear and handle the reg differently. If you practice this enough you just do it...this is part of mastering a skill.

Also, not all stressful situations underwater need a quick response, nor can every possible situation be thought of.

I don't have to hold my second stage because it is intergral to my first stage. When I install the regulator to the tank and put it on then a quick forward lean flips it over my head and it lands in my mouth. Should I need to remove it for some odd reason such as working my BC or blowing bubbles rings or annoying dive masters who think they know everything I take it beside the cage valves and gently twist it outward. I don't bungee it because it will float at my neckline due to natural bouyancy and should it slip over my head and go off on an adventure I simply roll over onto my back and take it with my hand. What is a purge valve?

How do you guys live with those things (girhly mahn single hose things) (Sienfeld).

N
NAVED 111

rockjock3:
If everybody that comes to you does it this way, and you are the common denominator (unless they were all taught by the same instructor) then could it be you are wrong.
But but...hes an INSTRUCTOR!!!!

LOL

Where do I go to school to learn the "right" way?

JohnnyH:
LOL

However, my point is that you should try to be consistent so that when confronted with a stressful situation you don't have to consciously think about your actions - they just happen.

John

You have a keen sense of the obvious. The exact reason why most of respond with "we just do it". It will varry with second stage size, hand size, gloves work just to name a few inputs. It can also vary with personal retrieval and alternate hand-off.

I retrieve with an open palm cuping the face and hand off by the fitting so the recipient can grasp it as I prefer to hold it. If stuffing it into the recipients mouth seems nescesary then I'd cover the face, never had to though.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom