How to back mount a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My plus for slinging rather than back mount for all of the above reasons (I'm a photographer too) I also use a scooter and again a side mount doesn't get in the way. Because I'm also lazy I figured a back mount would cause more hassle changing tanks on a boat after each dive rather than just unclipping a stage.

i can climb a boat ladder with the stage and a largeish camera attached, but each to their own. You choose what is right for you and what you're mist comfortable with

I have a back mount Tiger Gear mount on my 19 CF pony. The mount can be separated by another diver with a pull of a pin and replacing tanks with the mount on the cam band is simple. However, I also have two oval quick links mounted on two stainless steel tank bands so I can easily sling the tank in front, which for many situations may well be preferred. This way I have the option of back mounting or slinging in front.

I tried back mounting and it really did not work for me given access and deployment etc. Ended up slinging it and of course later it paid off when started doing some technical diving.

Your other option is to get a small set of twins like double AL50s

OK, maybe I should sling it then. Looking at the Divegearexpress kits, should I get the top one or the bottom one (I don't really have time to source all the needed materials for the DIY approach): https://www.divegearexpress.com/gas/straps.shtml

You can certainly buy a kit, but if you feel like doing it yourself:

Hardware store:
  • 1/4" nylon rope
  • Clear Vinyl tubing
  • Hose clamps
  • Bolt Snaps

Or

Farm Supply store
  • Stainless Steel Bolt Snaps

Not a big deal either way

I use the X-bracket and a cam band. But on my hatteras trip, both captains mates were using a pony saddle ala Northeast scuba Northeast Scuba Supply - Online Catalog - Tanks

A simple slip under the main tank cam bands. And both were also diving 30cu ponys like me.

FWIW, I had to help the two guys who were slinging as they couldn't get their bottom clips in once they had their gear on, and they weren't novices either.....choose your method and forget what anyone else says. Just dive.

All,

I'm considering getting a 19 cf pony as a redundant air supply. I sometimes do some (admittedly pretty bad still) UW photography, so I think I will want to back mount it.

What are the ways to back mount a pony, and what are the pros and cons of each method? Is there a generally accepted "best practice" for back mounting a pony?

Thanks,

Joss

How to mount pony
First, put left foot in the stirrup, grab saddle horn and swing right leg over the horse.
What's that? Oh, that kind of pony. Nevermind.

Was in the same mind set. Tried all sorts of back mounts all were frustrating in some respect. Tried slinging a 19cf and never went back. A lot easier to do than you think even with a full size two strobe rig. Try it!

joe

Slinging a pony is cheaper, easier to get at, you can hand it off to another diver, etc. Back mounting a pony is a bad way to go for many reasons. If you are going to bother getting a pony get a 40cF pony. I actually have a 19cFT pony that I never ended up using it because it is just too small. Once you get used to the 40 cuFt it is like it is not there. So many reasons to sling it instead of back mounting it.

In the long run if you get into technical diving, learning to sling a pony is much better to already know how to do because you will be slinging at least two. No technical training shop would let you use 19cuFt for technical diving that I am aware of.

Slinging a pony is cheaper, easier to get at, you can hand it off to another diver, etc. Back mounting a pony is a bad way to go for many reasons. If you are going to bother getting a pony get a 40cF pony. I actually have a 19cFT pony that I never ended up using it because it is just too small. Once you get used to the 40 cuFt it is like it is not there. So many reasons to sling it instead of back mounting it.

In the long run if you get into technical diving, learning to sling a pony is much better to already know how to do because you will be slinging at least two. No technical training shop would let you use 19cuFt for technical diving that I am aware of.

Wow, a guy posts a question about back mounting a small pony and you start in about slinging a couple of 40 cf deco tanks for tech diving. There are plenty of folks who prefer slinging a pony, while others prefer backmounting. Plenty who want a 30 or 40 cf tank, while others are happy with a 6 or 13. There is a lot of personal choice involved in all kinds of equipment decisions. I'm sure I could look at your configuration and point out a lot of things that could or should be done differently. For you to tell someone that it is a "bad way to go" or about what he will want in the long run is amazingly arrogant.

I routinely sling (sidemount) as many as 4 large cylinders when diving with a rebreather. But when my kids learned to dive, I equipped them with backmounted 13s as pony bottles. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that configuration for recreational diving, despite what experts like you have to say.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a quality back mount for a pony, I still have a couple left since the kids quit diving.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28123216/pony.wmv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom