How to back mount a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have back mounted pony tanks in the past, I currently sling if diving a single (which I usually do not carry a pony anyway slung or back mounted). I do not like having anything in front of me and the slung pony does find itself in my way sometimes but all in all I find it simpler, easier, less obtrusive, more minimal and better streamlining and there is the option of unhooking the slung pony in some weird scenario we could invent.

But back mounted it is completely out of my way and I can run the regulator hose around and necklace it instead of leaving it bundled to the pony as I do when slinging.

I do not carry a octopus/safe second when solo. My pony or independent 72s each have a regulator and are fully redundant.

N

Nemrod,

Forgive me but I am confused (it is very late here in Libya now), do you prefer slung or back mounted pony? :)

Nemrod,

Forgive me but I am confused (it is very late here in Libya now), do you prefer slung or back mounted pony? :)

Well, I suppose I am sort of neutral with a slight current preference for slung. One could say that independent 72s are twin ponies, :wink:.

Why are you up so late worrying over pony bottles in Libya?

N

Why are you up so late worrying over pony bottles in Libya?

N

It is Ramadan, so I stay up and eat before sunrise :) Also, internet speed is faster during off peak hours.

It is Ramadan, so I stay up and eat before sunrise :) Also, internet speed is faster during off peak hours.

Oh, okay, well, have a safe, happy and pious Ramadan.

I have not seen a back mounted pony in forever in actual use. Everybody is slinging these days, go with the flow I guess. Probably the remaining large group of holdouts would be East Coast USA wreck divers, they seem to like the back mounted systems.

N

Oh, okay, well, have a safe, happy and pious Ramadan.

N

Shukran (thank you)!!!

I have not seen a back mounted pony in forever in actual use. Everybody is slinging these days, go with the flow I guess. Probably the remaining large group of holdouts would be East Coast USA wreck divers, they seem to like the back mounted systems.

N

Yes, in all of my travels diving around the world outside NE USA, I don't remember seeing back mounted pony in use, if any pony is used, it is always a slung. Only in NE US.

I recently switched from slinging a 19 to back mounting with the shark bracket. The pony bottle is mounted upside down and it's easy to grab the reg or valve if necessary. I'll try to remember to get a pic this weekend with everything setup. I doubt I'll go back to slinging.
Pony bottle mounting - pony tank mount-pony bottle-shark mfg
I use this one too, but I have it mounted right side up. I think it's very easy to use, you literally just hook it around your primary tanks neck, then clip it at the base and fold the little metal adjuster over to secure it. Very simple design and very easy to pop on and off any tank, which makes it nice for travel, and for using it with different size maim tanks

Hes said like a true geek :)

I have not seen a back mounted pony in forever in actual use.
Funny, I can't remember the last time I saw someone slinging a pony down here (for rec dives). I like the back mount because it gets the tank out of the way and keeps your side clutter-free. Seas have been flat for the last month so changing tanks between dives has been no problem. I suspect it will be a little more difficult in the winter when seas are around 5ft.

So IF I was to back mount a 19cu pony.... what would be the best way to route SPG and 2nd stage? I am wanting to start diving my long hose again and dive a hollis BP&W.

So basically what I want to know is: how to route SPG and 2nd stage on a back mount pony with a long hose primary. Where should I put the octo off my primary tank?

My though was to route the long hose in typical fashion, tuck the 40in octo thru a D ring on the right side away from long hose, and bring the pony reg around the left side and hang it on a necklace with ~22in hose. Anything wrong with this approach? What is best?

Yes, in all of my travels diving around the world outside NE USA, I don't remember seeing back mounted pony in use, if any pony is used, it is always a slung. Only in NE US.

I dive every weekend that I can in the New York City area, and I very rarely see a back mounted pony on the boats here... Not saying that no one uses them, but it certainly isn't close to being a standard method in the NE US.

Back
Top Bottom