how to dive with non-DIR divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quarrior:
Anyway, back to the subject of the thread. I've been diving with DIR divers. My suggestion for those that are DIR, don't judge anyone before you dive with them.

If you see a problem with their setup, point it out and help them understand why it's a problem. Don't just tell them it's a problem.

As the saying goes, don't preach, do.

If I have that big of a problem with something, I usually just (quietly) bow out of the dive.

amascuba:
Congratulations JeffG. You just passed my very rigorous PADI Specialty Course.

PADI-Inet-Diver.JPG

Happy now? :D

I want one! I am DIRI and never got my card!

hey, mom

they are making fun of my agency again.

you could actually have some fun with that card....
You could flash it on vacation...

rjack321:
I want one! I am DIRI and never got my card!

It's a virtual card for a virtual certification. Which part of that is hard to understand :rofl3:

amascuba: Thanks, I should keep that I-DIR card handy :wink:

Catherine: Nevermind :)

Quarrior: The point was: Most likely the problem isn't the setup. It's the divers attitude. I tried very much to make that point earlier...... maybe I'll just go with "Nevermind' there as well :)

Bjorn

catherine96821:
you could actually have some fun with that card....
You could flash it on vacation...
I have one of the last official PADI Underwater Pumpkin Carving Specialty cards. Had a blast with while on vacation in Maui.

jeckyll:
Quarrior: The point was: Most likely the problem isn't the setup. It's the divers attitude. I tried very much to make that point earlier...... maybe I'll just go with "Nevermind' there as well :)

Bjorn
Point I was trying to make is that if you are diving with a new buddy or insta buddy while on vacation and start in with the "what's your SAC, what's your gas plan" type of questioning, you'll get the deer in the headlights stare.

90% of vacation divers don't know and frankly don't care. They are going to dive until they have used half a tank and then turn the dive or something like that. More often than not they'll play follow the DM until the DM calls the dive.

Quarrior:
Point I was trying to make is that if you are diving with a new buddy or insta buddy while on vacation and start in with the "what's your SAC, what's your gas plan" type of questioning, you'll get the deer in the headlights stare.

90% of vacation divers don't know and frankly don't care. They are going to dive until they have used half a tank and then turn the dive or something like that. More often than not they'll play follow the DM until the DM calls the dive.

So maybe:

Me: Hey man, I've never been here before, have you? I'd like to play it safe and start to come back when I have about 1500psi.. get close to the line. Maybe start heading up wiht 800psi. How's that sound?

Instabuddy: Uh, ok. That's really conservative.

Me: Yea, but Im just getting used to this gear and I don't want any problems.

Instabuddy: Yea, ok.

Maybe it works out, maybe not. But by making it seem as though you are concerned about safety (and not preaching) maybe he'll go along. Maybe it'll get them thinking at least.

PerroneFord:
So maybe:

Me: Hey man, I've never been here before, have you? I'd like to play it safe and start to come back when I have about 1500psi.. get close to the line. Maybe start heading up wiht 800psi. How's that sound?

Instabuddy: Uh, ok. That's really conservative.

Me: Yea, but Im just getting used to this gear and I don't want any problems.

Instabuddy: Yea, ok.

Maybe it works out, maybe not. But by making it seem as though you are concerned about safety (and not preaching) maybe he'll go along. Maybe it'll get them thinking at least.

Good call Perrone: No preaching or posturing seems to work fine. Nice post.

Quarrior:

I see what you're saying :)

I don't dive with Vacation divers (all my diving has been local) so I just haven't had that experience. I generally talk to new buddies about their experience & comfort level before picking the dive. Turn pressures are generally part of that. If I know they are experienced I'll ask if they know their SAC while discussing where I generally like to be depth wise based on remaining psi. It is generally just part of chatting before the dive :)

For more aggressive / deeper profiles I don't dive with unknown buddies. :)

I'll ask if they know their SAC

I'll say "it's gooood"

the waiter asked my son how he liked his steak, and he said "goood"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom