How to fill my tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The filtration requirements for grade E breathing air suitable for SCUBA diving are stringent and require a filtration stack designed specifically for the purpose. Breathing air fills for industrial and firefighting SCBA systems are similar but not held to standards that are as high.

Wow. Sure didn't know this. When I was doing volunteer Milfoil diving we got free air from the fire station. I'd have brought my own tanks if I had known.

Hi Mike.

I am in the middle of assembling my own, small-scale compressor plant and fill station. Using military surplus items and stuff I've bought from a dive shop that has gone out of business, I've been able to put together most of the components I need for around $1000. I'm still missing the filtration piece. I've been watching for deals on used filtration for high-pressure breathing air and have come to the conclusion that I'm just going to have to buy new -- at a cost of $1700 for the components I'm planning to use -- because the available used items aren't safe at the pressures I want to run.

Once this is done I will be able to fill one or two cylinders an hour.

It is a big deal to buy the equipment, and requires knowledge and ongoing vigilance to operate it safely.

If you are prepared to make a commitment of that magnitude, you can find advice and support on these forums. If not, I would highly recommend that you use a local dive shop for fills. If you do not have a local dive shop, I can suggest some other possible sources of fills, and some ways of coping with travel to obtain fills.

The filtration requirements for grade E breathing air suitable for SCUBA diving are stringent and require a filtration stack designed specifically for the purpose. Breathing air fills for industrial and firefighting SCBA systems are similar but not held to standards that are as high.
Shelden Sporting Goods Inc. - High Pressure Air Compressors

Really - you should stop pursuing this. It will not be cost effective, and the risks drastically outweigh saving $10 on a tank fill.

Not everyone have the luxury of a LDS in reasonable distance. For me the closest LDS is 80km away and have open a few hours one night every week.

If i like to go 150km i can find one with little better opening hours.

Not everyone have the luxury of a LDS in reasonable distance. For me the closest LDS is 80km away and have open a few hours one night every week.

If i like to go 150km i can find one with little better opening hours.

To me that sounds like a situation where having your own compressor might be practical. Lots of people on SB have their own, but they are compressors that are intended for filling scuba tanks. I have my own compressor, and I talked to a lot of people here to find out what I don't know and spend a lot of money on exotic crankcase oil and filters. I want to have one that I can take with me and fill tanks in remote locations where there are no filling stations, and that will run from a fairly small generator. Running it from a gasoline generator presents a whole new set of precautions and additional CO testing.

Wow. Sure didn't know this. When I was doing volunteer Milfoil diving we got free air from the fire station. I'd have brought my own tanks if I had known.
I wouldn't worry about it. You can pretty much get Grade E from a bicycle pump. As far as air standards go it's pretty loose as are most CGA grades.

I said I am going to return the compressor - just a bad idea from the start - thanks for saving my life
problem is i do not have Padi certification so i don't think i can get my tank filled - i just wanted to swim around in the back yard pool -

Perhaps instead of a compressor you could get a used Hookah system--they use an oil-less compressor. But you still need to know a thing or two to dive safely, even in your swimming pool. Back in the early days people read a book (New Science of Skin and Scuba Diving) or learned from other divers. It's not illegal to go scuba diving without a certification, but, like you said, probably nobody will fill your tank.

Here's the absolute minimum information needed. It's from a 1953 Popular Mechanics magazine. Please obtain further information/instruction before attempting to dive in the ocean or a lake etc. I'm passing this along in case you want to Hookah in your pool. The single, most important thing to know is to never hold your breath while ascending. Four feet of water can cause a severe pulmonary embolism:

How to Use Your Diving Lung.jpg

I use air from the fire hall. The nearest dive shop is an hour and a half away if traffic is light. The fire hall is five minutes. They have a brand new compressor and all of the service records are in the SCBA room. I am comfortable with it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom