Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Hefe 612

Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I never know what people want to know about me. I'm very open, and I'm happy answering any questions you might have. I'm an easy-going guy, and try to look on the bright side of things. I'm a big kid at heart.

The Intro: (cue ominous music) I have wanted to dive since I can remember - being practically weightless "flying" among the reefs is such a huge draw. I have always been deterred by the cost though - poor college student then poor teacher. I'm in a new position, and I can finally afford to do this. We have over 10,000 lakes in Minnesota, so there are many local opportunities to go fresh water diving. Still, I prefer the ocean to the lakes. I'm excited and nervous about starting this adventure, but I know it will be great.

Open Water 1 - Aug 12/13, 2017
Open Water 2 - Aug 19/20, 2017
Advanced Open Water - Sep 16/17, 2017

My Job: I'm a licensed parent educator in the state of Minnesota, and I have a doctorate in parent and family education (you can call me Chris, though). Throughout the state, we have a program called Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE). It is in every school district, and it is for families with children 0-5 years old. They come to class together. Typically, the first 30 minutes is parent-child interaction time where the children get to do many different activities with their parents (or grandparents in some cases). Then we separate - children stay with the early childhood educator; parents go with me to the parent room to discuss various challenges of parenting. The vast majority of parents are there by choice - they want to be the best parents they can be - and they come from all walks of life. (We do occasionally have parents court-ordered to attend.) I love it! It's such a rewarding job, and the families are great.

My Family: My husband and I have been together since April 1995, so 20+ years. We finally got "officially" married July 4, 2016, on the island of St. John, USVI. We live in Minneapolis, MN. We used to have two English bulldogs (Chloe and Tori), but they both have passed. I grew up in Rapid City, South Dakota, and my husband grew up in Fridley, Minnesota. College brought me to Minnesota in 1987, and I've been here ever since. Every winter, I vow I'm going to move somewhere tropical - winters can be brutal (-60°F/-50°C windchills).

If you want to know anything else, just ask. I could go on and on, but I'm sure it would be pretty boring.

Hello Chris

Welcome

I am south of the metro but have connections in the Anoka area, and have become a frequent visitor to Rapid City (where I dive Pactola and a few other lakes in the Hill City area). Also more than a few connections in St. Paul through my performing arts activities. I dive a number of metro area lakes -- Square, Perch, Lac Lavon, a few others -- and make trips up to the Brainerd area and Lake Superior. This weekend my daughter and I will be at lake Ore Be Gone for a day of diving then on to Superior for a dive on the Madiera and the Hesper.

The freshwater shore diving in Minnesota is better than most people realize and it generally doesn't cost anything but whatever you pay for air fills, and, sometimes, a few bucks for parking.

Tropical dives are great but cost is limiting, for me, anyway.

Be well, and stay safe..

Thanks! My OW dives will be in Lake Ore-Be-Gone at Scuba Palooza on Aug 19 and 20. I don't think I've been to that lake before, but I'm looking forward to it. I'll have to find some local dive buddies once I'm certified and have some more practice. Hope you and your daughter have a great time!

Welcome to SB I live in the great white north. If you are ever interested in diving up here around Winnipeg Manitoba. Give me a call.

Welcome Chris!

I'm also living in Minneapolis. My wife and I make frequent trips to the mine pits in Brainerd. MSD (Minnesota School of Diving) is an excellent outfit with affordable tank rentals and we'll load up 4-6 tanks at a time and go find a spot to explore in the network of flooded mine pits. Visibility is great, and temperatures are comfortable above about 30 ft. Pretty lake weed carpets the bottom and curious bluegills will swim up to you looking for food. It's a great experience! Closer to home, we've done spring refresher dives at Square Lake which is about 30 minutes out of the city near Stillwater. It's definitely not the best diving location but there's a platform, buoyancy practice hoops, and a few submerged "treasures" to explore. Great for getting one's feet wet after winter hibernation. Of course, there's Lake Superior but after attempting a dive there, I've written it off my list until I can afford a dry suit. The temperature is a near constant 39 F.

Welcome from Southern California! I thought you guys were exaggerating about the number of lakes until I flew over Minnesota. I have been visiting about once-a-year and plan to dive a lake or two on my next trip.

Lake Ore-Be-Gone (Gilbert MN) is quite a long trip from the Twin Cities. Is your whole OW class renting a cabin for the weekend or how does that work?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom