I can't decide which beginner level computer to get.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hayleyfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone.
I'm about to buy my first computer..yay! I'm looking at the beginner models for the Suunto Zoop, Mares Puck, and the Cressi Leonardo.
If you have another I should look for, please let me know.

I won't be doing any cave diving that I can imagine...that is freaky to me. I get the shivers thinking about it. So that leaves just plain old recreational diving. I am doing my PADI AOW, so I'll be learning deep diving, but I imagine that I would usually be 100ft and up.

I really want to make sure it has safety stop features and is easy to use with gloves on as I'll be principally diving off the coast of British Columbia. Likely with a drysuit. (Just about to do the training)

I've heard complaints about algorithm issues and I'm not sure I understand all that. So I don't really know how that should focus on my purchase.

Can anyone help me out here?
Many thanks,
Hayley

puck is a good choice if you don't mind the way their button navigation is set up. the leonardo has complaints about conservatism (less NDL which can be annoying if you like to get as much dive time as you can) and the zoop is more expensive than the other two.

Suunto by design has a more conservative algorithm which for the type of diving you describe will mean dive times will be a few minutes shorter on the computer vs. someone diving say an Oceanic model. And Suunto's can only be set to be even more conservative - it's done by design.

I like the Zoop - I own a Gecko - it's predecessor. I think the only difference is you can download a Zoop. Find out about the cable cost also if that's of interest - Suunto gets $90 for theirs and you won't find one in the box afaik...lol. I can also hear the alarms u/w and one thing I never thought I'd like is the safety stop timer - now I watch it at the end of a dive - far easier than checking my watch right next to it.

I like the size of the numbers and the fact that I can pick it up after some non-diving interval and work through the menus. I even leave the manual home and just take the cheat card on trips.

There's a new Puck also, the Puck Pro. It's replacing the Puck afaik. Leisurepro has it right now for $195 but I've seen it as cheap as $159/169 since summer. You might set a low price alert if interested. Someone here bought a $150 Puck from them but was sent a Puck Pro instead - maybe they're low on stock on the original?
http://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrspp/mares-puck-pro-wrist-computer

I've heard Scubatoys.com also usually has a couple computers at 30% off in their Black Friday Sale so get on their mailing list if you're not in an immediate hurry.

IDK enough about your other choices to comment on either. With gloves a factor is probably button size. Look at the Puck Pro in White in the link, the red button shows more clearly.

Last edited:
Another vote for the puck. I have two of those and love them. I also use them as a bottom timer.

Have a look at the Oceanic Geo 2.0. Has a bit of a learning curve as the manual is horrid, but there's an online class for $8 that does the trick. I use mine with a dry suit (there is an extender strap). Does nitrox, too. Using it in my nitrox class I'm in the midst of. Once you learn how to use it, very good computer.

Don't buy anything this week!

DEMA starts tomorrow and their is likely to be many new computer announcements.

If you don't mind a puck form factor, definitely wait to see if Deep 6 finally releases their new computer. It's supposed to sell for $139. If it matches the info that has already been put out about it, it should be a no-brainer compared to the alternatives you are considering.

If you do want a wristwatch-sized computer instead, the Geo 2 is an excellent option.

Any new computer will support Nitrox, which you definitely want.

The scuba industry seems like it quite normally has lots of really good deals on Black Friday, so I would wait and see what you can get then. It's less than 2 weeks away now. Monitor here on SB to see what websites are offering good scuba deals.

I had a zoop and liked it especially the ave depth calculation (for estimating sac rate) and the safety stop countdown. I did not like the multiple buttons, but as you don't change much after setting it up unless you are diving nitrox, it's a minor issue. I had a little problem reading the numbers (I use a prescription mask) but not too bad a problem. And I never had to surface earlier than anyone else using a different computer because of NDL. I lost the zoop and replaced it with a Leonardo, which I have now used for 6 dives. It seems to be a bit more conservative than the zoop, but I find the one button operation to be much easier to use, and the numbers easier to read. I don't mind being a bit conservative. I do miss the average depth calculation, which the Leonardo does not provide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom