Irresponsible parenting IMHO. Dad lets uncert. young son dive. (+link)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zingtea:
Congratulations on teaching your son to kill. I wish my parents had gotten me that Uzi I always asked for...[SARCASM]:rolleyes:

Thank you!:D I thought it was the right thing to do also. So did the US Air Force, of which he is now a member:14: . Made qualifying with the M16 and his sidearm alot easier. :D

If training to shoot guns is training to kill, then pretty much everything else is training to die. Atleast with a gun you aren't trained to aim it at yourself. You learn to drive, you'll get in an accident someday. Samething with boating or flying or mountain climbing. Heck, anything in the water gives you a potential to drown, even the bathtub.

Sadly, I have not been trained to kill, only to die. hopefully before I graduate college I will have a concealed weapons permit and have my life insurance hidden quite well in my bedroom, ready to save my life. Notice to all criminals: I live in Florida, the castle law gives me the right to kick your butt if you are in my castle. So keep the heck out,or meet my life insurance policy!

Until then, I'll keep a tank by my bed, I can always throw that at them.

Personally, I had one friend who wanted to try out diving gear in my pool. I made him read my Padi dive manual book and correctly answer some RDP problems and whatever other questions I could htink to ask him before we got in the pool. I don't think he liked it much, but it was pretty cold and raining, hopefully I can get him to try it out again in summer, because he'd make a good dive buddy. All I need is for him to find out he likes it, then he'll go take the class. I figure he's safe to sit in four feet of water in my swimming pool :)

JimLap:
But what happens if you do not become an instructor? Does he have to wait til he is 18 and can do it on his own? And was your training half-assed? If not why can't the shop and instructor that taught you teach him?[/QUOTE

How many hours are spent on buoyancy, trim, weights, finning techniques, SAC rates, gas planning, choosing right equipment, etc...?
Forget learning it in AOW. I think most divers who suck coming out of OW suck because they don't get enough time with these BASIC skills and necessities while still on OW. I'm not going to hope or expect my son to get enough OW training in and out of the water before getting certified. That's where I come in. My son will know most of what he needs to know even before getting into the class. He will be weighted correctly. Will have a lot more experience with the skills when compared to those taking OW. It will only make him a better diver when he does get certified.

I don't dive in NE, but I do bottle dive in the Pacific NW. Our saltwater is cold 40's-50's depending on season. Our lakes can and do ice up. We have an average tidal exchange of 11.5' with the extremes up to 17' during summer and winter. Bottles are rarely found in clear water, as those are already taken, as a result you hunt in mud and silt. So yes, I'm familiar with bottle diving. But I'm also thinking people are fairly quick to cry wolf based on a fluff/human interest piece in a local paper. It's completely devoid of info other than he dives with his son for bottles, which more likely than not is in shallow water, rarely frequented so bottles may or may not be sitting slighly exposed, and who know's he very likely could have a tag line he keeps on his son. We don't know all the details and precautions, so with that, I say don't be so quick to cry foul.

JimLap:
But what happens if you do not become an instructor? Does he have to wait til he is 18 and can do it on his own? And was your training half-assed? If not why can't the shop and instructor that taught you teach him?

We are not instructors by any means but we had the instructor that taught us teach my daughter. He is really good and we trust him. Before we even signed her up though, we worked with her and made sure she had the basics down. When she went into class she sailed through all the skills and didn’t struggle with anything. Test wasn’t a problem. I actually think when the parents are divers the kids get better educated because the parents work with them as well as taking the classes. Parents know what their kids will need extra help with or even if they are ready. I think letting the parents decide when their kids are ready is the best. I have seen some young kids that are very responsible and I have seen some teens that are very irresponsible. So you can’t go by age.
And everyone is titled to their opinion.

Stacy

adshepard:
Hey I just called him (dad) irresponsible never said he couldn't make the choice. I really could care less what happens to him or his child.
You’re coming on a bit harsh when I was trying to be somewhat softer. I apologize if I did not succeed.

adshepard:
http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060721/NEWS/607210651/1005/NEWS06

Dad is being irresponsible in letting son dive. He admits the kid couldn't pass the written exam. Geez!

Have to admit to being the same type Dad. Had both our sons on my back breathing off an octo-not at the same time- when they were 6 -8yrs old or so. La Jolla Cove was the site. Easy entry and lots of fun. Since then both are fully certified and have been diving all over the globe. When it came time for written exams and formal certs. we sent them to semi-privates with the best instructors we knew. One instructor told me; "These guys are fish" I don't know about that, but, it was fun to go in the ocean, even the shallow Cove, when they were young.

Thalassamania:
You’re coming on a bit harsh when I was trying to be somewhat softer. I apologize if I did not succeed.

Maybe a bit harsh but not meant to offend anyone.

PS -

Appreciate the info on Sea Rovers. The website is still stuck on the 2006 show.

It's easy to say leave it to a pro, but if dad's a DM, although not an instructor it is a little gray.

I have one daughter who I know would be a great diver if she ever got the bug. I'd consider conducting a discover trype experieince with her but after that I'd put her in the hands of a pro.

Last week a friend of my daughters was killed as an inccocent passenger on the highway, there are no guarantees, live while you can.

Pete

I had a chat this last weekend with Capt. Bill Redden of the Jeannie2 out of Brooklyn. He is a retired Instructor who was part of training the NYPD Scuba Team. He was criticizing the way agencies teach today and I have to agree.
It's possible to walk out of a store with a DVD to self study, even do the test your self and walk back in for pool sessions. Then jet off to a location with an instructor that has no affiliation with your original course instructor, not even a conversation between the two. That to me is risky sending people off like that in mant cases ill prepared. To the point of scaring people out of the sport through bad experiences.
Dad is doing it Right (to coin a phrase without the guru meaning).

Back
Top Bottom