Is Deep Sea Supply out of business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a slightly used Scubapro Pure Tek Harness with a 30 lb X-Tek donut wing Single Tank Adapter and Aluminum Back Plate ready to dive.

Retail Price: $700
Your Scubaboard price: $299 w/ free shipping!

In case anyone else reads this and wonders what is happening with DSS. I went to the website. Their SSL certificate has expired. I'm guessing they don't see the point in renewing the website security certificate or they haven't looked at the website since they started moving. If you ignore the warnings and go to the website, you'll see:

Due to the relocation of DeepSeaSupply’s Manufacturing Facility from Pasadena California to Northern Nevada sales of all goods have been suspended as of 4/20/2018. The date for restarting sales is unknown but will be at least 6 months.​

They say AT LEAST 6 months. It has been 8 months.

So here I sit headed on a dive trip in 3 weeks decided Ok ill pop for a Backplate and Wing after reading posting and reading and posting. Ive mentioned that the reason why jacket BCDs are still the most common type out there is because you can walk in and buy one.

Well after reading and reading it appears DSS is posted here frequently as one of the most popular sources to purchase said wing backplate from. But there numbers disconnected and there websight is dead. Are they still in business?

Im laughing because I have my credit card out ready to set this in motion. And heres another brick wall. Im like a lost blind guy thats being heckled and teased by a group of street punks.

Im looking at HOG total buoyancy system through divers suppply packaged it all out found the support I needed to get what I think I want and need but wanted to have checked one more suppplier before commiting. Any way by the end of the day tomorrow it will be to late for me to want to deal with this, next weeks another short hectic week. If theres any one with insight on who else to look at before I kill this venture until another date and time it would be appreciated.
Unfortunately, I don’t have and gear I can offer you at this time, but I can comment on your statement about LDS’s carrying jackets and not BP/W.
Many LDS’s are tied in with the bigger dive equipment manufacturers and the big boys have perks that make selling standard jackets very attractive to retailers.
Most dive shops can’t stock everything and jackets are very easy to fit and sell, plus the markup is good. Notice I said “most” dive shops, there are a few out there that do sell BP/W, but those are rare.
From what I’ve noticed, a lot of dive shops have even simplified their line of jackets. There used to be a whole wall filled with jackets and back inflates. Now it’s down to a few models and maybe a lighweight travel model. Must be a sign of the times.

To answer one question. I do want a salesperson to walk me through the purchase top to bottom figure out my sizes and shove it in a box and ship it to me. If that makes me lazy then i am. Now no one that knows me will ever tell you im lazy on any level. I have however never put a backplate on and the likely hood of being able to do so without just buying one is pretty slim. I do want something that performs better than my jacket and I am actually happy with my current BCD. So i have high expectations and I dont want to be wrong because I started ordering components that may or may not work right together I dont have time for many errors before this trip.

I also get the technical mechanical desire side of building your own set up, one thing I have is enough hobbies being a master creator of dive gear isnt that high on my list today. I do have a pretty solid mental picture of how everything works after watching as many videos as I have but none of this means anything until Ive tweaked one to fit me perfectly which is the ultimate goal here for me. I could care less if some shop set me up with everything I need if I can fit this to me better than any thing ive ever dove in before. Thats what has my interest.

I also am more interested in new over used. Cost isnt a big issue I also want air2 or what ever brand name they want to call it, weight pockets on the plate and waist belt. No interest in a belt or weight harness system what so ever. One thing that is critical for me is shoulder release of some kind I have issues with my left shoulder the action of removing a BCD can tweak it out some cars seat belts get me as well. I need to extra space a release of some kind here produces. Which rules out some harnesses completely. Im actually concerned about the action of picking up a crotch strap and getting the belt through it but ill figure that out im skilled at working around this problem as long as I have enough movement in what ever im taking off.

this is pretty much a grand plus or minus with all the things I want up front id like to get it right. Id really like to walk in some place and try a few on first as welll so I may wait now until I head to Florida in march. Thanks

I have a slightly used Scubapro Pure Tek Harness with a 30 lb X-Tek donut wing Single Tank Adapter and Aluminum Back Plate ready to dive.

Retail Price: $700
Your Scubaboard price: $299 w/ free shipping!
If what i know about this is correct it does not have a shoulder release does it? I need a harness with shoulder release I have a left shoulder problem that is not going away. I live with it but the action of taking off a BCD is one that really can leave me with a lack of love for a few days. If it does have a shoulder release I might be interested. Thanks

@lowlysubaruguy Any particular reason you moving to a BP/W setup and keeping the Air2? I personally don't like them, as I think they create more difficulties than they attempt to solve. I think this may be a one step forward, one step back scenario.

On a side note about the shoulder release... any harness can be modified to use a COBRA buckle. These are $5 and would work great.

GT COBRA® - AustriAlpin

A few reasons on the air 2
One is streamlining our regs one less thing to deal with from luggage to the water line. I may not think that if I ever have an issue and have to mate with my partner on an ascent I think that’s minimal and I hope never needed.

Lastly the people I dive with most I can state for a fact every single one if them there secondary air regulator has come loose and is either dragging the reef or sand or one if us us jacking with it to get it hooked back up. Never dove with anyone regularly that it hasn’t happened to. Not saying it happens all the time but it happens enough. Especially when lobster diving. Never an issue with air 2.

Plus I’d have to buy another regulator if I don’t get it with the new rig. Personally I like it a lot.

You want buckles on the straps, integrated weights and an air 2? You might like a back inflate bc better than a bp/w, maybe that sp xtech would work with a new air 2 installed and pre adjusted for your weight.

Back
Top Bottom