Jacket BCD vs. Backplate/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a dive guide,over ten years ago I went on my first (3) dives with a old Scubapro Classic jacket style rental BCD....Fell in love with the underwater world,bought a Scubapro Knighthawk and have never use anything else. My occupation is a professional dive guide.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Simple could mean in complexity or ease of use.

@ bj139: Halcyon came out with the cinch option. It's just an attachment to the plate that allows the webbing to slide. So you put the bp/w on, pull the waist straps and it snugs up the shoulders. Then you run it through the buckle to desired fit and buckle holds it all in place. Personally, I think it's another example of the great line, "equipment solution to a skills problem." The fact it's made by Halcyon just shows eventually increased sales always wins. Sooner or later, Halcyon will make a nice, comfy, padded harness.

The only reason I can see for a new diver to use a jacket over the wing is that it forces him to float face up.

Did you type this on a QUERTY keyboard?

Uh ... that would be QWERTY (look down at your left hand for a moment) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yep. The BP/W is held mainly by the waist strap and crotch strap. The shoulder straps just keep in the area, so to speak. Unlike a jacket BC, the shoulder straps don't have to be tight to keep the tank from flopping around. The plate takes care of that for you.

Thank you for for stating this. I have not read this anywhere before . Usually people just say "take the tech course to learn how to adjust the BP/W". Maybe BP/W would be more popular if directions were available to fit it to the diver. I don't know whether perceived liability has anything to do with this. On my dive yesterday I put on my DUI weight harness then put the BP on over it. The waist strap was at the level of the DUI harness. Since I did not want to leave buddies waiting while I adjusted the weight harness height I just buckled the BP waist strap above the weight belt level. During the dive, I felt the tank flopping back and forth and found the BP waist strap was loose so I tightened it and it was much better. The shoulder straps felt a little loose but the plate did not move much. I think I will use weight pockets on the BP straps on my next dive and not use the weight harness. The weight harness worked fine when I used it with my BC,

Thank you for for stating this. I have not read this anywhere before . Usually people just say "take the tech course to learn how to adjust the BP/W". Maybe BP/W would be more popular if directions were available to fit it to the diver.

This helped me when I first got my BP/W. http://www.baue.org/faq/backplate_sizing_inline_images.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BP&W, sidemounts and CCR are just 'lifestyle' choices for most recreational divers. They are not used as tools for a task, but rather as fashion accessories and status markers. BCs are fine. And a BP&W is no better or worse.

No disrespect to those who dive a BP&W with twins (me included) or the very highly regarded GUE and UTD approaches.

They are not used as tools for a task, but rather as fashion accessories and status markers.

The lastest BC's featured in the most recent buyers guide are more of a fashion accessory than any backplate would be.

-Mitch

The only reason I can see for a new diver to use a jacket over the wing is that it forces him to float face up.

MY wife and I are both good swimmers but only a a dozon dives or so. But we are now moving to a tropical enviroment, where we plane to do lots of diving. most shallow warm water. But I am sure it will include some deeper water on occastion (100 ft). We are going to buy gear and what we buy is likely going to be what we use for 15+ years. Only problem is deciding on what to get. Our padi course used A classic BCD. But that being said, since we will use for many years, learning a new type BP/W seems like a small price to pay if it will be more enjoyable for us. The only concern I have is the Surface float. If we expereince a issue I would like it to be 0 effort to keep head up on surface. I.E. stroke, or in my case Diabetic event.

We are on a budget so what does everybody recommend for us. currently liking the sounds of the Zeagle express tech.

BTW being type 2 diabetic, has been a issue, not with my control, but with several vacations not being able to dive as they say Diabetics can not dive. I think that is BS. At a typical dive of 50ft the short time to surface would be a non issue. Now once on the surface I may want to relax, eat or what ever it takes at the moment.

Please recommend what you would choose for a BCD in my situation. (No cold water Ever, both wife and I hate cold). Budget is concern, But at the same time this is a long term item, not to get something that is cheap at the expense of enjoyment.

Highflier

PS. I saw some post that say if you adjust the straps surface floating almost the same on a bp/w as the BCD. Can anybody eleaberate on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom