LDS VS Internet Sale!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are right about one thing. I don't believe it. Do you have any evidence at all? Specific applicable law? Recorded legal actions against non-business individuals?

With proof, I might even be tempted to get my spare air pool toys hydroed.:D

Awap, whether you believe it or not is just another one of your rights. Why would you believe anythng a LDS would have to say, especially one that is a licensed DOT retester, and responsible for function specific training to their employees. Recently, 2 weeks ago we had meeting with 3 of the DOT Hazardous Materials Enorcement Agents and this was brought up specifically.

The odds of a individual getting popped is far less than any commercially operated fill station simply from the likihood of actually catching an individual filling a bottle for a stranger.

Yes your Spare Air bottle does require hydro every 5 years, whether you do it or not is another choice you get, one might would question if you would fail to follow the required safety procedures set forth to prevent accidents what else might you feel irrelavent in regards to safety simply because you beleive it. The retest requirement is actually part of the specification of which the bottle is made under which is stamped into the neck of the bottle.

You want proof, look up yourself, you probably wouldnt believe the references from me anyway since they came from a LDS.

For the record, not all LDS's, even the ones without a online presence, are bad. We for one will go head to head on pricing with any online authorised dealer on anything that isnt a closeout item and it makes business sense to do it, that said the online folks will win some and lose some, in the end most of the legit ones have a store front and operate with the manufacturers under the same rules we do.

Schott

Awap, whether you believe it or not is just another one of your rights. Why would you believe anythng a LDS would have to say, especially one that is a licensed DOT retester, and responsible for function specific training to their employees. Recently, 2 weeks ago we had meeting with 3 of the DOT Hazardous Materials Enorcement Agents and this was brought up specifically.

The odds of a individual getting popped is far less than any commercially operated fill station simply from the likihood of actually catching an individual filling a bottle for a stranger.

Yes your Spare Air bottle does require hydro every 5 years, whether you do it or not is another choice you get, one might would question if you would fail to follow the required safety procedures set forth to prevent accidents what else might you feel irrelavent in regards to safety simply because you beleive it. The retest requirement is actually part of the specification of which the bottle is made under which is stamped into the neck of the bottle.

You want proof, look up yourself, you probably wouldnt believe the references from me anyway since they came from a LDS.

For the record, not all LDS's, even the ones without a online presence, are bad. We for one will go head to head on pricing with any online authorised dealer on anything that isnt a closeout item and it makes business sense to do it, that said the online folks will win some and lose some, in the end most of the legit ones have a store front and operate with the manufacturers under the same rules we do.

Schott

I would have thought an LDS with so many credentials would be happy to site a credible reference and end this discussion.

I have found some good LDSs. But I have been fed so much BS along the way by so many others that I tend to be skeptical.

Sounds to me like a lot of LDSs in your area need to go out of business. It only takes one good one to turn that nonsense around.

Yep stupid business practices.

They turn away potential $200usd+ every year per customer (and most have more than 1 bit of kit to be tested...regs,tanks,bc etc) in business because they didnt get an original sale. So here we have a business actively turning away custom.

These places all deserve to go out of business.

I do agree with supporting the LDS however certain items I will not buy from them because of the markup. For example, a Cressi Big Eyes mask @ LDS $74.00, online $34.00 w/ shipping, more than twice the cost!! I did try it on at LDS so I ordered the exact same size and it fits great. The only thing I use the LDS for is fills and reg service ( which I may not do anymore) Just had my regulator serviced and they charged $220.00, I could almost have replaced it for that, just wish they would've called first to let me know the price was going to be that high so I could of determined whether to proceed with repair or replacement.
When I complain about the prices they always throw in that about supporting the LDS, blah, blah, blah. Well near this same time they were having to repower their dive boat and were complaining about how much the mechanic was charging. Hey how about supporting your LM ( local mechanic). I'm sure if they can find someone much cheaper that provides the same quality service they will go with the more affordable mechanic regardless of the loyalty factor. They are trying to operate a profit making business so any money you can save running a business is beneficial.
I stopped going on charters because of a number of reasons:
1) too expensive $115, I donate gas money to friends, $25-$50 depending on how far we go, so I can dive every weekend versus just 1 or 2 dives a month using charters.
2) too many people, many that aren't good divers as well doing there 2 vacation dives a year, more fun diving with 2-3 divers, fish don't get spooked like when you dump 16 divers over.
3) too slow, started going on my boat & friends boats, run time 45 min - 1 hour versus 2+ hours to dive spots
4)freedom to dive where & when we want

I did try it on at LDS so I ordered the exact same size and it fits great.
Well near this same time they were having to repower their dive boat and were complaining about how much the mechanic was charging.

I see your using the shop to fit a mask you have no intent of purchasing from them kinda like using a mechanic who has invested in all the tools and equipment, taken the courses and developed the expertise, to diagnose a problem with your car, then taking it to a friends garage to work on the problem.

I hear stories like yours somewhat frequently and they bother me. Not a lot, cuz I know there are people like you out there, but at some level, it still annoys me a bit.

Why should I buy from LDS when the same thing is available on Scubatoys / Leisurepro for so much cheaper?

What is the difference between Warranty offered by the manufacturer and the one offered by Internet merchents?

Pros and Cons of both please ...

So you got tired of asking about deep air dives eh?

:shakehead:

I am an advocate of online buying but that kind of behaviour annoys me as well. It gives a bad name to the experienced online buyers who accept the responsibility of sizing and selecting gear for themselves.

First, let me start by saying I am a supporter of a couple of Internet Dive Shops that are authorized dealers. I also work at a LDS that I buy very little if anything from because the prices are too high even with my employee "discount". I also send my regs to Scubatoys to be serviced because 1) we currently send our regs to another store for service and 2) it typically costs $250-$275 to get them serviced through our store, and 3) ScubaToys has great service.

So, I'm a supporter of the best business model and not a support your LDS at any cost type of person. If we had a dive shop in town that was fair, I would definitey spend my money there...but we don't.

Anyway, we (the LDS where I work) recently received this letter from Aqua Lung and I found it interesting and thought I might share it just for the gee whiz factor and not in support of the internet or LDS. I couldn't figure out how to post the original PDF file, so I retyped the body...I apologize for any spelling errors or grammatical mistakes I may have made. The content and gist of the letter remain accurate.

"Dear Valued Aqua Lung Retailers,

Recently we have received a number of inquiries regarding LeisurePro and how they obtain Aqualung Diving Products. For the record, LeisurePro is not an authorized Aqua Lung dealer nor do we sell Aqua Lung, Sea Quest, Suunto or Apeks branded products to them.

In the past, Aqua Lung has taken an aggressive stance in trying to eliminate sales of equipment by unauthorized resellers obtained through gray market channels. Through our serial number tracking system, we have virtually eliminated the gray market acquisition of products through U.S. dealers. We reently terminated a distributer for selling our products to a third party (Leisurepro) for the purposes of resale. We will continue to be diligent tracing products sold by unauthorized resellers for the purpose of terminated or eliminating the source.

We would like to ask that if a retail customer comes to your store with Aqual Lung, Sea Quest, Apeks or Suunto equipment acquired through an unauthorized retailer, please try to acquire the product's serial number. Call us with the number and we will track the prduct and take the necessary action in dealing with the violation.

Since we cannot determine the product's condition, whether new or used, from unauthorized resellers, we do not provide warranty or support for products purchased from sources other than our authorized dealer network. This is important for you, our retailer, as well as for your customers to know. As further protection for customers, we will be posting new information regaurding Leisurepro on our website shortly. We encourage you to remind customers of the value they receive purchasing from an authorized Aqua Lung retailer."

The letter was signed by Don Rockwell, the President of Aqua Lung America.

Take it for what it's worth. I still find it hard to believe that LeisurePro finds enough "gray market" suppliers to fill their stocks. I'm not saying Aqua Lung is telling a lie, it's just a lot of stock to find in bits and peices.

Hey, let me help you end this argument...............

There is no online v LDS. There are only two categories....

Local dive stores that don't sell online and
Local dive stores that DO sell online.

With VERY RARE EXCEPTIONS, that is the state of this industry, in the United States, as I sit here today.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom