Learning to dive doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ndemeis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am starting to look at my future course I want to take (I've done OW and AOW) and two that I would like to do are PADI's deep diver and Wreck diver. However When I look at both courses for most shop they require doubles or at least a pony. My question is do they cover diving doubles in these courses? it seems to me from reading threads here it isn't something you just set up and dive but you need some instruction. Am I right in assuming this? If they don't cover them in courses where can I learn?

I did not take a course to learn to dive doubles. Early on I wish I would have a couple times. There are instructors who conduct workshops for using them. I am in the process of developing one now for recreational divers. A non cert course that will focus on set up, reg configuration, trimming them out, buoyancy issues, and gas management. As well as propulsion and tank selection. The actual course development itself is not hard. Where the small snag comes in for me anyway is the availability of sets of tanks. I have two already set up with the ability and components to set up two more. But unless I get some real interest I'm not going to be doing that soon. If a person is sure they want to go into twins and have bought them that makes things much easier. Moving into doubles is not cheap. And as I found out, once you do, at least for me one set is not enough. Unless you have fills available close by the site or are only doing one or two dives a second set or a stage is almost mandatory. But slinging a stage with doubles involves more training and equipment as well as experience. I was slinging a bottle before I went to doubles but still got a few dives in before adding it to the mix. I now have well over 125 dives in doubles in many different conditions and suit configurations. That's the only reason I'm considering offering a workshop for using them. As for why some deep and wreck courses do not cover it I'd guess that gear is a major factor. Along with the fact that a number of the instructors teaching these recreational deep and wreck classes have never had a set on themselves, let alone know how to set them up, configure them, or teach the gas management aspects. Adding that much extra gas now puts violating the ndl's into much easier reach. And that in itself requires teaching emergency deco procedures which only a few agencies do at the recreational level. Another reason I feel ok offering it. For our agency emergency deco planning and procedures is taught in the open water class.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

'Intro To Doubles' is becoming more available, as a workshop supplied by suitably qualified/experienced instructors. I teach this as a non-certification course (you don't need a 'c-card' to dive doubles, but the knowledge is great!).

Most workshops run a similar pattern to mine, 1 day/2 dives. They look at the various configuration options available; isolated manifold, manifold, independent. They look at BP&W set-up and options (hog harness, QR harnesses etc). Lift requirements. Hose configurations. Then in-water skills over 2 dives, such as; shut-downs, gas sharing, weight-check, trimming and buoyancy control.

As Jim mentions, it works especially well in combination with additional training in Gas Management, Dive Planning and Emergency Deco. I teach these separately to the 'Intro To Doubles', but they fit really well together (makes it a 2-3 day training program).

As noted above, using a set of doubles is not rocket science and does not require a C-card. But getting some instruction or solid mentorship will helps speed the learning curve, prevent developing bad habits you'll have to unlearn later, and 2will help you develop a solid configuration that you can then get proficient in on normal recreational dives within the NDLs and take forward with you to more advanced diving and/or technical training.

Learning to do dives that require doubles and the knowledge of how to properly configure and use a technical diving doubles configuration is a toitally different animal entirely and does require extensive instruction.

The risk here is that a diver will get a set of doubles, get comfortable in them, and then delude themselves that they are ready for deeper/longer technical dives.

Thanks for the replies. Out of curiousity would it be awful to jump in for some shallow water dives to get a feel for it? I'll start sending messages and see if anything is offered in the boston area, or see if I can find some knowledgeable people in the area to help me out.

would it be awful to jump in for some shallow water dives to get a feel for it? .

Absolutely not...that's the way to go about acquainting yourself with any new kit. :D

You can also do plenty of online research. There's oodles of threads about various configurations, hoses and options. Sift the wheat from the chaff and you'll have a decent idea of where to start. Youtube has some decent skills videos (search for '5thd-x').

There's quite a few websites that show how to put a set of doubles together. Have a look at my 'Technical Diving Toolbox' resources page for some links on that: http://www.scubatechphilippines.com/resources.html

I, personally, wouldn't recommend doing shut-down drills without some form of capable supervision...and in water too deep to stand up in. It's easy to get the order wrong and leave yourself without a working regulator.

i have a double since a few days.
nothing will be changed in my configuration, as i'm already diving with 2 primary regulators on a single tank.
I removed the single tank adapter from my wing.
on next sunday, i will dive in fresh water with my double half-full to check my ballast

that's all.

i have a double since a few days.
nothing will be changed in my configuration, as i'm already diving with 2 primary regulators on a single tank.
I removed the single tank adapter from my wing.
on next sunday, i will dive in fresh water with my double half-full to check my ballast

that's all.

You using the same wing for both doubles and singles? That's typically not an ideal setup.

You using the same wing for both doubles and singles? That's typically not an ideal setup.
that's my ideal setup, and i didn't want multiple wings, i have other ways to spend a lot of money when diving.
this wing supports doubles and some deco tanks, so it supports also a single tank.

I'm sure it will support a single tank but suspect it will also have lots of spare material flapping around in the breeze.

Everyone I dive with has separate wings for singles and doubles. A used wing is what, $150 in the US. That is a drop in the bucket if you are into technical diving.

To each their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom