Learning to dive doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly won't judge you from a photo... but from what I can see there, it doesn't match the usual training 'end state' at trimix (or lower) tech level.
That said, it's easy to configure a tech rig from searching the internet and pose for a 'perfect' photo - so I wouldn't assume competence from a photo at any time.
the photo is not during a trimix training, but a recreational dive in Caraibes
2 profiles, one on mix, one on air
JDiveLog DuboisP_OSTC Air.pngJDiveLog DuboisP_OSTC trimix.png

Back when I was young and foolish I had to install some transect lines at Pt. Lobos, which was the control site for a study we were doing on Monterey outfall that was about to be installed. I decided to dive doubles, one cylinder for me and one cylinder for my drill. I went to the DSO for permission, and he told me that I could use the doubles, if and only if, I could complete our standard class circuit swim within the required time while wearing them. It took me three tries, but I did. At the time I thought it was just a brutal strength test but by the time I had successfully completed it I had found that there were a lot of finesse solutions as well. It is those finesse solutions that you need to learn, and you'll only get them from an experienced doubles diver, e.g., one who dives doubles most of the time, which few do (I don't). But if you can't find a mentor who does, there are groups like GUE that are composed of doubles divers almost exclusively.

Thanks for the all the replies so far. Thanks especially to Colliam for taking the time to write that long response! I am actually now considering sidemount as another option, (I'm actually reading the article that was just publisher here as I'm typing this). I have most winter to think about what I want to do as I need to just get back to regular diving first. But I always like to have a plan to where I'm going in the future.

your desire to get acquainted with doubles before the class is a a good idea. I showed up for a cavern class in a set of borrowed al80's, my first time ever in doubles. The class was overwhelming and instead of being able to focus on the skills i was fighting trim and buoyancy the whole time. I did not pass. I didn't deserve to pass. I spent the next year setting up my own doubles and diving them every chance I got. I started out at the local shore dive with a max of 15 feet, then i took them on every recreational dive i did. I got some strange looks from some people, but the ones who knew me and my goal, praised me and said I was doing the right thing. I went from uncontrollable headstands to nice flat controlled trim and buoyancy. I had learned valve shut downs in the class and with certain buddies that were already proficient in doubles (either cave trained or tech already) I started practicing drills as they watched over me. When the time came to have another go at the cavern class I nailed it. That class has become the foundation on which I have progressed through full mix and full cave ccr. A solid foundation is a must for advancement in to deeper technical diving.
So I highly endorse you learning to use the equipment before class so that in class you can focus on the skills you are supposed to be learning. If wrecks and eventual penetration of wrecks is your goal I would stay with the back mounted doubles. Just my 2 cents do with it what you want.

Last edited:
Why do you recommend back mounted doubles for wrecks (I'm guessing over sidemout) Any reason?

Why do you recommend back mounted doubles for wrecks (I'm guessing over sidemout) Any reason?

In my experience swimming through a wreck like the Spiegel Grove, the doors are tall, but narrow. I personally wouldn't want to be any wider. But I'm not familiar with sidemount so the actual reason may be different.

For me the best part about two tanks is that you have twice the amount of air on the first dive when accidents are most likely to happen (from what I've read in scuba magazines). On the second dive, you have the reserve from the "first tank" plus the entire second tank. Whereas the single tank divers left their first tank reserve in the boat.

How so? All the side-mount divers I know clip on/off their cylinders in the water. They have a pretty easy time of getting on/off the boat.

How so? All the side-mount divers I know clip on/off their cylinders in the water. They have a pretty easy time of getting on/off the boat.

That works but it needs someone to handle the tanks for you. Might not be very popular on a boat with 20 sidemount divers. Can be a bunch of fun clipping tanks on in rough seas when you keep getting slammed into the boat.

Certainly possible to sidemount off a boat,but backmount is less hassle.

Boat crews are normally very helpful to sidemount divers though
:D

Funny video....sad, but funny. The "taco" photo is amusing, too. Lots of dangling stuff, poor trim, taco'd wing, etc. To a DIR guy that would cause a nervous breakdown.

I'm fixing to learn doubles, too. However, all other skills have been sufficiently developed first. Now I'll have an experienced diver guide me slowly through the doubles skills. No hurry. Not something I'd even remotely consider learning on my own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom