Lion and Wings charge for checked baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoinDivin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Gone are the days where you get 20kg (15kg on wings) and then try to negotiate a good price for over luggage. Following Air Asia's plan you now have the option of prepaying your luggage online and getting 7kg of free carry on.

Thankfully we had booked prior to the new rule but our friends from Bali had not, they found it cheaper to rent gear on the LOB than paying for over luggage.

Lion Air, Wings Air to charge for checked baggage - The Jakarta Post

Lion Air consistently sucks. When things go wrong, and they often do, no amount of savings makes up for their continually crappy customer service, poor attitude, and worthlessness.

It's been about 5 years or more but Lion wanted $40 for my checked luggage but only $60 to put me in Business Class that came with free checked luggage. I was the only Business class traveler on that flight and economy was packed to the rafters. I'm still pleased with my choice that day even though it was a complete PITA to get organized on the ground at the time.

recently flew Thai Lion, and prepaid the luggage isn't too horrid, that said if you don't pre pay it's total rape at 10X as much (300 Baht a kilo)

I try to prepay for the luggage but sometimes their website don't like the Canadian credit cards. Use the PayPal option.

Also, my carry-on 2 bags, weigh 26 kg, full of UW photo gear. On the ticket it states no photo gear in check in luggage. They did look inside the bags and let me on.

Garuda is much better, especially on direct flight Jakarta to Sorong. I had 23kg, 50lb, plus 2 carry-ons that no one asked me about.

Are they the only option? Indo is on my list ....

Chidiver1, it all depends on where you are headed in Indo. Most often there are other options but sometimes not. Komodo and Raja, yes there are other options.

This past November I flew from Bali to Komodo and booked on Garuda for the flight to Komodo (thru NusaTrips--no problems) and a much cheaper flight back to Bali on Nam Air (almost a big mistake). I just wanted to make sure I made my liveaboard in time and wasn't to worried about the return flight--I should have been. My checked bag was 24 kilos plus and my carry-on was like 11 kilos--Garuda no problem. I figured I'd need to pay for a little excess baggage on Nam Air since they only allowed 20 kilos checked and 7 kilos carry-on. Checked in for my Nam flight and they weighed my checked bag and didn't bat a eye and checked it on through with no extra charge and didn't even look at my carry-on--good to go or so I thought. 4 pm and time to fly---no plane---sign flashes that it's delayed. Not to worry as my return flight out of Bali doesn't leave until 8:30 the next morning. it's now 7 pm and still no plane--it's getting dark and raining like hell and the counter folks say it may be cancelled--uh oh. I start checking other flights--nothing--Nam air is the last flight of the day and nothing leaves in the morning early enough to be able to catch my flight out of Bali. I see forty or so other folks checking their phones and saying they have departing flights leaving Bali late tonight--that's ugly. 8 pm a plane lands--whew it's our Nam flight and surprise it's a big 737 jet instead of the smaller prop planes that usually fly into Labuan Bajo for the trip to Bali--maybe that's why they didn't care about the excess luggage weight. I kept texting my hotel in Bali about the delays so they would know when to pick me up--they said they were monitoring my flight and would be there if we showed up--and they were! Next time Garuda all the way--I'll pay the extra monies and have a little more piece of mind (maybe) that my flight will leave on time or not be cancelled and will book a earlier departure to be able to have options if there is a problem.

It's been about 5 years or more but Lion wanted $40 for my checked luggage but only $60 to put me in Business Class that came with free checked luggage. I was the only Business class traveler on that flight and economy was packed to the rafters. I'm still pleased with my choice that day even though it was a complete PITA to get organized on the ground at the time.

Thanks for mentioning this. I’ll be flying Batik (Ambon-Makassar) & Lion Air (Makassar-Denpasar) on 19 September. I’ll try your way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom