Local Rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiousity, if I moved to Cozumel and owned my own tanks, how much would Meridiano charge for fills? Nitrox fills? I understand that I couldn’t dive without a DM within the Marine Park, but assume I could do shore dives outside the Marine Park.
You won't save much on that. Maybe 30 pesos instead of 50. I own a bunch of tanks on the mainland there and the difference is so little between rented and owned that I don't worry about it.

A shill for my friend starting a fill shop in Coz. Stathis is opening a fill station right across from the entrance to La Mission. I bought fills from him for years in Puerto Morelos. I think he is right next to Aldora's fill station. He is also a compressor tech and I believe he would like to help others on the island keep their compressors operational. Smart guy. He has a few large capacity steels. You are welcome to rent them If I'm not using them :)

You won't save much on that. Maybe 30 pesos instead of 50. I own a bunch of tanks on the mainland there and the difference is so little between rented and owned that I don't worry about it.

A shill for my friend starting a fill shop in Coz. Stathis is opening a fill station right across from the entrance to La Mission. I bought fills from him for years in Puerto Morelos. I think he is right next to Aldora's fill station. He is also a compressor tech and I believe he would like to help others on the island keep their compressors operational. Smart guy. He has a few large capacity steels. You are welcome to rent them If I'm not using them :)
I had heard rumors of this shop opening, is it actual open and does he do nitrox fills?

I haven't talked with him for 2 months. He was planning to be open by now. There was a wait for electricity. He will pump nitrox from a membrane and do hydros also. I think he had over 400 new AL80's plus some older tanks. Also valve service and things like that.

I haven't talked with him for 2 months. He was planning to be open by now. There was a wait for electricity. He will pump nitrox from a membrane and do hydros also. I think he had over 400 new AL80's plus some older tanks. Also valve service and things like that.
Good deal, competition is always a good thing. Even if the price does not change hopefully the quality of the fills during high season will improve at Meridiano.
Its been my experience that 'local rates' while it is a good deal for those that can get them it also quite often means 'space available' which can get pretty lean during the high season.

From my understanding, "local rates" are seat fillers. Only if they have space that day. You may get bumped for a full paying customer. Better to get some money for an empty slot.

Again, maybe not relevant to Coz, but on GC some of the ops do the seat-filler deal but others give a true reservation to locals, so still worth checking out.

I am not able to retire at this point but am thinking of taking a few months from work.

This would not qualify you as a "local" by really any local business definition. As others have said, it will vary from shop to shop, but most of us agree that a "local" is someone that lives here full time as their primary residence or someone that lives here X amount of months per year. I don't even necessarily consider everyone with "permanent residency" cards as locals because they've become so easy to get simply by proving a certain income or balance in the bank and this has become abused in my opinion (and many others). Snowbirds, extended vacationers, or multi-time a year vacationers are NOT locals - unless you live here full time, you're a guest/visitor/tourist no matter how you slice it.

I also don't offer someone a discount purely on the merit that they are a "local" - but more so based on loyalty and it's always space available. But it is discretionary and totally up to me (and each individual shop owner).

What some fail to understand, that at the end of the day, this is a business - not a hobby and not a charity. We have fixed costs for every diver on the boat, then there are variable costs based on how many are on the boat, and then there is the overhead and general operating expenses that have to be factored in. Our margins continue to get smaller and smaller with the significantly increasing fuel prices, which also affects our costs on other things and we aren't here to subsidize anyone's extended vacation or hobby.

My general structure is a "space filler" rate for true locals. I have a list and send out a message each week with available spots and it's first come, first serve. They still have the possibility of getting bumped if we get a reservation and need the space. Then if locals aren't available to fill space, I will open it up to the public as a last minute promotion. I have loyalty discounts for those who live here and dive regularly and want guaranteed spots which is a sliding scale, the more they dive, the higher their discount. But even so, regardless of how many days someone dives, my costs are the same for that diver - so a full paying visitor with a limited number of available dive days will always take priority over those who live here, diving at a discounted rate and can dive any day of the week. Shop hoppers looking for the cheapest deal with no loyalty typically don't get much of a discount from me. I'll never give a spot away for less than my actual cost per diver however - there comes a point where it's actually less of a loss to send the boat out with a few people that to fill spaces for less than it costs me.

So in the end - it's all discretionary and totally up to the individual shop owner with what they are comfortable, willing and able to offer.

there comes a point where it's actually less of a loss to send the boat out with a few people that to fill spaces for less than it costs me.

Sorry I ain’t buying it. The cost to send a boat out with a lite load of a couple of diver’s verses a full load up to the legal limit per DM is basically the same. Fuel costs are basically a push with minimal increase in fuel burn. Labor cost are already paid for the captain and DM (possibly a higher tip split with additional divers) Air fills cost a couple bucks each and park fees are 2 bucks each plus snacks at a couple bucks. Basically it costs less $10 extra to fill an otherwise empty seat, which has zero value after it leaves the pier.

Now over the long term I can understand and support your position. Having worked for an airline for better than 30 years now, I understand the dilemma. It’s not a cost per diver yield that truly counts it’s the average yield per trip that counts over the long run. For years the airlines could not resist last minute sales to fill unused seats and the consumers reacted by waiting to purchase at the last minute discounted price which caused the average yield per flight to be suppressed. Many thousands of workers lost their jobs through consolidation until the airlines could exercise pricing discipline in a consolidated industry so that they were not, on average, flying flights at a loss.

What scares me is the number of boats that I understand are operating without permits in the park due to poor enforcement (and failure of the park to manage the existing permit population). I know several DM’s outfitting boats to join into the fray due to the example of the current bootleg boats. This can only help suppress the prices to those operators who are paying the extra costs to play by the rules.

Thank you. This is the first comment I've seen that helps me rationalize what has been going on with flight pricing.

This is something I would love to have a discussion about some time. Understand this is not the place

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom