Lost and a question of ethics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was cheesy for her to dare you to describe it, then keep it. Fortunately they're very cheap on ebay.

Some people are just like that and they thrive to see people down on their luck. They give you every opportunity to describe it hoping that it's a different item. Then once you describe it to a T, then they'll just say too bad. That's just plain annoying and it shows what character they are. Just ignore them and write it off as a loss.

I would personally just give you the knife even if you didn't describe it to a T seeing that you lost yours.

She sounds rude & greedy to me.

Now, it may be that she's not accustomed to finding treasure and was very attached to her loot at the moment. It would not surprise me if she is having second thoughts about her actions at this point. If you have the opportunity to ask if she was serious she may be suddenly gracious.

Pete

What make & model was it? Maybe some of us have spares we've found. I have a few.

If she was doing her DM course with us, I am not sure she would be invited back to work on our boat after the course if my boss saw that happen. He would also likely tell her to give it to the OP anyway. It may not directly relate to trust issues but it definetly means she has a different value system than I would care to be around. just my opinion...

My takeaway from this is: label all your gear. And/or record any serial numbers. A piece of generic kit down there... anyone can ethically justify holding onto it if they really want to. Yeah, you may be able to describe it, but then again, a lot of that stuff really does look similar (I imagine this is her internal justification). Something that says "JOHN HANCOCK" on it, and John Hancock asks for it back, well now, it becomes very hard to hold onto.

With all the divers in Florida, it's actually highly likely that a piece of dropped gear will be found. I find stuff all the time. Rarely does it have a name or anything uniquely identifiable on it. Do I try and locate the owners? Well, let's see, if they can't be bothered to put their John Hancock on it with a Sharpie, then it can't really be of much value to them, can it? Now, if it has a name or a number, sure, I'll give finding them a shot.

I have DAN ID tags on almost every item I own, and nearly everything else is marked in some way. Highly recommended.

Even if it wasn't your knife, if I found one and knew you had lost one, I would almost certainly give the one I had found to you (or give you mine and keep the found one, if I were that taken with it). To do otherwise speaks poorly of her character.

+1 on that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom