Malware on ScubaBoard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great! Now the next question: how and why did this occur?
Its not much of a question Thal. There are malicious people in this world who get their fun by spoiling yours. They look and prod for any weakness in the most popular software packages. While they were finally successful in inserting some code, it went to a site that had already been disabled. That was the first time in 11 years that we have had this sort of breach. We have changed all the passwords, checked all the logins and added a good bit of monitoring as well. We want to go at least another 11 years before this happens again.

Its not much of a question Thal. There are malicious people in this world who get their fun by spoiling yours. They look and prod for any weakness in the most popular software packages. While they were finally successful in inserting some code, it went to a site that had already been disabled. That was the first time in 11 years that we have had this sort of breach. We have changed all the passwords, checked all the logins and added a good bit of monitoring as well. We want to go at least another 11 years before this happens again.

I like never again.

First and hopefully last malware attack...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

I'm just weirded out because SB was not the only site I was getting reports of malware on, all of a sudden there was a flurry of sites and now they have all calmed down.

We fixed the problem. There was a problem... we fixed it. I can't say why other sites got malware... I don't know HOW we got it. But we found the code, and eliminated it, and changed all the passwords for important things just to be safe.

Making it 11 years without a breach is impressive, and it seems you got it contained pretty quickly. If there's some larger attack mission in play (involving multiple sites), it will likely hit the news at some point. Antivirus vendors would likely be hearing about this and might know by now if there's some larger, coordinated attack underway. That might be who to call next for anyone who is still concerned.

It's back! Just got a warning from Norton. Left the site came back and got it again. I'm not getting it from any other site.

Malicious Javascript Website 2

The site is set to lock down in case of malware. If you noticed, we were off line a bit earlier this am due to this. I have since cleaned the site and we are clean and back up. IOW, if you can get on, it means we are clean. It WILL take the rest of the world a bit of time to acknowledge that fact. I am working on a permanent solution to this recurring problem. Your patience is welcome.

Well I just got the warning again from Norton so I guess it's blocking a nonexistant attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom