Memorial Day Weekend, Falling Rock!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the big fuss with this group over diving DIR? Everybody has their own dive philosophy....some just seem to try and perfect their's more. I have some really good friends that are DIR divers, and we would dive together all of the time. In all reality, they probably are better divers....maybe not because of their equipment, but because of their training and skills.

Why is it that when people don't exactly understand something, they find fault in it?

Hey, it's diving! In the end, we are all doing the same thing...having fun!!!!!!!

Woody74:
What's the big fuss with this group over diving DIR? Everybody has their own dive philosophy....some just seem to try and perfect their's more. I have some really good friends that are DIR divers, and we would dive together all of the time. In all reality, they probably are better divers....maybe not because of their equipment, but because of their training and skills.

Why is it that when people don't exactly understand something, they find fault in it?

Hey, it's diving! In the end, we are all doing the same thing...having fun!!!!!!!

I think the big thing is there are some,not all but some DIR whom look down on those of us who don't dive DIR and some think we are wrong and not the quality of diver as they are. IMHO if you are safe and dive safely and are comfortable with your skills what does it matter how long of a hose you have?? I don't feel that someone is a better person just because they use a certain brand of gear or whatever I don't think just because you have a BP/W makes you any better diver OR person then I am. I have dove with people who use an old jacket BC and short hoses that I would dive with in a heartbeat as they are a good diver and a safe buddy. this is just my opionon tho....

The reason I'm asking what the deal is with the DIR group around here is because where I come from, DIR is a large portion of the diving community (cave country). I have even considered pursuing the idea and philosophy, but have yet to make that move. Some of my very closest friends are DIR, as I have said, and they are just normal divers to everybody.

I have often heard people say that cave divers or technical divers look down at what other divers wear or how they dive. I have never experienced that in all of my years of diving. To that, I ask (bearing in mind I don't know how many DIR divers you have that dive around here): Have you ever personally been looked down upon or spoken badly of by DIR divers? I think most of us would say "no", but it is generally rule of thumb in the diving community to say what others have heard if we have no actual experience ourselves. Oddly enough, some things I would like about DIR, somethings I wouldn't. If the general theme around here is bad about it, then I would probably tend to lean away from it.....if there is good reason why. Are there many DIR divers in KY???

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.....I learned to do that well as a DM, questioning Padi's ideas!!!!

I don't even know what DIR stands for.

DIR stands for Doing it Right.....a dive philosophy of using a different gear configuration and training idealology. There divers often dive rigs that tend to be extremely streamlined and less bulky....they most often use a backplate and wing BCD, with a longer primary hose, and a necklace backup. It seems that DIR divers take their diving very serious, and are continually working on buoyancy and trim control......

David, the reason you haven't heard of it is that you've been diving for such a short period of time, and that there may not be many DIR style divers around the shop that you use.....

I think Komi pretty much hit it on the head. Also talk to most and if they will tell you the crap that goes on within DIR, it is exactly that CRAP!!
I don't think that noose was DIR since it was not 13 raps. :D

So Pappy has been hung! I bet that Big Blue and the bass on the NY'er had something to do with it.

Well boys and girls, the official word is that I won't be diving 4th of July. However I will be making some darn good money at work...can you say double time? Looks like the AL80's will be officially up for sale soon. Maybe Joe will give me a end of season special on a weeks worth of diving. I can just camp out and dive till I am narced.

Again, I ask...as many of the guys i dove with were DIR: Have YOU ever been talked down to, or have YOU ever had your gear criticized by a DIR diver?

I used to be the same way that you guys are...until I got to know some DIR divers.

As a DM for many years, I offer this advice: NEVER criticize a diver's philosophy or training, or even technique....... Look at each person as they are, be they DIR, Padi, Naui, SSI, etc......... A DIVER!!! If they treat you like crap, that's the person, not their training.....

If you dissagree with their philosophy, discuss why, never criticize. Afterall.... WE'RE ALL DIVERS!!!!!!!

Beacuse of the discussions and comments made by some of the guys and gals on this thread, young divers like David get a bad impression of something that they know nothing about. That's what gives agencies and philosphies a bad name.....

I just want to make certain that I am associating with divers who enjoy diving and NOT those who think that their way is the only way! When we have young divers such as David, we need to be supportive in ALL forms and styles of diving. How else will he or others ever learn new ideas?

DIR divers don't bother me. Right or wrong, I support their want and wish to dive. Divers who do nothing but sit around and criticize, with no real experience or knowledge, of other diver's philosophy! Trust me, as a DM for YEARS, I've seen them all.

Get with the program! Dive, have fun, learn from each other!!!!!!!!

You already stated the true and obvious, it's not the agency it is the diver!
Same holds true for agency - instructor comparisons! This board is littered
with posts on both subjects! It is like beating a dead horse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom