• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Multiple deaths diving off NC coast May 10, 2020?

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by Steve_C, May 10, 2020.

1. uncfnp

uncfnp ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    In Anthony in NC’s post he stated the James donated and Carla put it in upside down. Was this clarified later?

Irrelevant to this case but in general I agree that if one dives with a specific buddy one should insure that buddy can tolerate the mouthpiece long enough to safely surface. Eric hates using my mouthpiece on the occasions we practice, which admittedly is too infrequently. But we both are also solo divers so perhaps we are not as conscientious of buddy courteous as we should be.

2. johndiver999

johndiver999 Solo Diver

I do not think there is necessarily enough information to draw the conclusion that the husband was critically low on air. Without more details from the video, I was initially tempted to draw that same conclusion, but then thought about the possibility that she or he pressed the purge button in an attempt to resolve the choking and/or vomiting. He might even have tried to hold the regulator on her mouth and purge it while he initiated the ascent. If so, this would also have been another error in the accident chain.

I think holding the purged regulator to panicked victim's mouth would be something I would do if they were choking and rejecting it (as I would be motoring to the surface). There is a chance that this accident might serve to remind us not to do that when low on air.

3. Couch

Couch ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    A somewhat off-topic question since I don't have a lot of experience with different computers. iphones and digital watches often have haptic alerts (physical buzzing) to alert you to something -- you're not walking far enough, you have a message, etc. The tech seems simple and common enough. I wonder if any wrist mounted computers have that? Plug in your plan, and the computer gives you a buzz ten minutes before you're scheduled to ascend, two buzzes five minutes... It seems like such a thing could prevent a lot of accidents -- if it worked, it'd be pretty hard to ignore. You would have to give some thought (or get some training) to know when you'd exerted yourself too much and you might be lower on air than you'd normally be.

Or what about a small LED strobe on the SPG set to trigger at some predetermined pressure? Would any of that be practical and useful?

4. Saniflush

Saniflush ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Supporter

Or freeflow it and take your breaths that way. I'm with you @tridacna , I will find a way to get my breaths!

Bob DBF likes this.
  5. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    A diver in our group got off the wreck in the current diving in NC he found some rocks to feed his spool line thru shot his SMB, then took the reel with him on his ascent. The Capt. sent a DM to the SMB to assist the diver who detached the SMB and reeled in the line, recovering the line, and smb while he was recovered. Pretty slick IMO.

Bob DBF, chillyinCanada and letterboy like this.
  6. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Not for me I descended to 25fsw and nav'd back to the correct boat! :)

O-ring likes this.
  7. Dan

Dan ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I think if they carried that tiny Spare Air (SA), this accident would have been avoided. She would have just pulled the SA off her BC, calmly suck a couple of breaths while finning to her husband and signaling thumbs up to ascent. Her husband then would have given his SA to her when she ran out of air in her SA as they are ascending to the surface.

1BBF04F3-EF70-47BE-BBDF-0C6C00244B8E.jpeg

8. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    If someone is so focused/in the zone on a diving activity (ex. Hunting) that they aren’t routinely monitoring their gas consumption, I don’t think they’re going to notice a flashing LED light or a buzzing/vibrating computer.

That and your dive plan (ex. NDL) is only part of the issue here. What you’re proposing would only be useful in a situation like this if the computer had air integration and was somehow programmed with a “ascend now” gas level...to tell the diver to call the dive.

What you’re proposing would be a false sense of security to divers, as some would assume that the values fed to the computer for your gas requirements are accurate given the dive profile.

What happens if the diver was more active than their usual dive for that depth and their gas burn rate was higher than normal? Is the computer going to analyze their previous dives, monitor their exiting gas burn rate on the fly, and reach the conclusion for the diver that they in fact have to turn to head up the line and ascend X minutes earlier than expected?

BrackaFish, AfterDark and tridacna like this.
  9. dfcliff

dfcliff ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    My dive computer does that computation on the fly. It is air integrated and it's constantly calculating Dive Time Remaining (DTR) based on NDL, O2 accumulation, and Air Time Remaining.

Whichever has the lowest value (least time remaining is displayed on the screen as DTR. For the air time remaining, it's recalculated every 60 seconds based on current depth, current air consumption, and any stops (deco if NDL violated and safety). It's also calculated for you to be on the surface with whatever reserve air amount you program in.

At 5 minutes of ATR, it will sound an audible alarm and again at 0 ATR. But even at 0 ATR, you should have enough air at current consumption level to make a safe ascent with all stops and arrive at the surface with planned reserve.

Bob DBF and stuartv like this.
  10. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Umm, yeah.... Those computers already exist. Even my old Oceanic Atom 3.0 did all that (and did it well). You set it for whatever psi you want to hit the surface with and it tracks your depth and your consumption rate over the last 90 seconds and tells you how much Gas Time Remaining you have. If you stay down until GTR hits 0, then ascend at exactly 30ft/min to the surface, continuing to breathe at the same rate the whole way, you will arrive with 500 psi (or whatever Reserve you set) in your tank.

I think my Atom only beeps. No vibrate.

But, my Teric has a very similar feature and it will do beep, vibrate, or both.