My First Run in with a Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenDiva

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok I pop over to my Buddy Bert’s Tampa Adventure sports Dive shop
And apparently Bert and crew are off on a diving adventure, but Bert’s Son
Was watching the store and lucky him (the poor kid!) got the pleasure and the
Pain of helping me with my first wet suit.

We started off w/ a 2 piece and I tried on the jacket to a large and ohh boy,
No way I can only hold my arms out wide, can’t move…it obviously does not fit
Across my back and shoulders…ok now we try an XL another 2 piece farmer john
And jacket…ok sleeves are long, but it fits across my back and shoulders…so I
Go into the back room to try it on since you have to step into it…I take off my pants
Left my bike shorts on and stepped into it and then prayed that the open leg would
Fit and zip up around my right thigh…ok I get it over the thigh and rent the suit…the kid
Gives me a nice break to rent it for the week only charges me for ½ week since I need
It for my beach and boat dives next week also…

Now I get home..And decide to make sure the entire thing fits right…so I’m down to a
Tank top and bike shorts….I step into the first leg..Ok not bad, gets over my calf, there’s a zipper (I may need to leave it open but right now I don’t care) I pull it up and step into
The next leg…now this thing comes up, and there is a large bib like collar that fits over
My head which leaves the back of my neck covered as well and then Velcro’s in the front
Only problem is it’s too long so I feel like I’m wearing a droopy diaper (ok so I imagine this is what a droopy diaper would feel like) and figure I could probably get someone
To grab my *** and pull it up for me… (Never had a problem getting someone to grab my *** before) now I put on the shortie part…step in and here’s where you ladies would
Appreciate this…I lay on the bed to zipper it up, you know like you zipper your jeans when they are brand new or fresh out of the dryer…LOL I get it all zipped up…and I’m dripping w/ sweat and ready for a nap now…how on earth do you have energy to go diving after st ruggling to put this thing on? Now wonder you pee in your suits who the heck wants to keep pulling this thing up and down! LOL

I also come to realize that more then likely when I’ve gotten this extra chubb off I’m
Going to have to get a custom made suit, the woman’s suits are not full enough in
The shoulders/back and the legs for me…and the men’s are too long…but for now
This one is comfortable enough once it’s on…I just feel like I’ve got 6 inches between
Me and the crotch hmmmmmmmm never mind…..

All I can say is you’re all nuts! LOL and I can’t wait to join you all down under!

*smile*

ZenDiva
I am not sure it gets easier but you get used to it, and custom made would help. Enjoy the diving.
Alison

I like one piece, long jump suits, and a custom made suit is often the way to go. For a very good but cheap one, try the Hybrid suit at ScubaL here. I like having a 3 mil, and a 7 mil for when the 3 ain't enough.

But I always done nylon socks, then a long skin, before the suit. :05:

Try rubbing your self down with a cheap hair conditioner then wiggle into the suit. If you can't reach everywhere, get the same guy that you had helping you..Nevermind... Arms and legs, hips and shoulders and you will slide right in.

I once pulled out my wetsuit just before a trip. I had gained some weight and wondered if it would fit...got it on, but couldn't zip it (front zip) then couldn't get it off. Had a bit of a panic attack. I'm claustrophobic. I must've looked hilarious, jumping all over, contorting, trying to get out of the d**** thing!! :0

Anyway, try a skin under the suit. It's the only way I can into one without freaking out.

This is where a cheap pair of panty hose comes in handy!
If you've been in and out of the water, you know that a suit that feels too tight on dry land may loosen up once it hits the water. So wet suit plus wet body equals an easier time of it.
Wait until next summer when you try to do this in 90-plus weather and 90-plus humidity! A bucket of water down the front is a godsend.

Something that helps me in the early spring/late fall is putting my 1.5 mil Dacor front zip suit on first. I paired it with a 3/2 Neosport back zip suit (hi, Scubatoys!) and it and a beanie kept me comfy in Morrison Springs in the Florida panhandle. Also, I kept my 10-12 pounds in my weight pockets, while my husband huffed along with 28 pounds and his 7 mil two-piece Neosport.

I have a two-piece Henderson, and I feel your pain! I have nightmares about trying on the shorty and getting stuck with no one to help my get it back off again. Back zips are much better.
Good luck!

Consider hunting down and trying on a Henderson Hyperstretch suit. I have a broad back and larger chest and the only suit off the rack that fits me is the Hyperstretch. Everything else is so tight that I don't feel like I can breath, yet sags in the hips and butt.

For a custom suit, try Liquidfit. Neat color choices and good prices.

I've heard of these hyperstretch suits....

Today I got it on much easier....did the wet suit hop which was very beneficial in getting it up....and then once on and in the water...I flooded it and to be honest was rather happy with how comfortable I was....I also like that I could wear just the shortie if I wanted w/out the bottom overall pants piece...

I did some bulking last year and put on too much extra weight which I'm currently getting off...so once I'm back to where I should be I will then look into having a custom suite made....till then I'm gonna give Bert at Tampawatersports a call tomorrow

*smile*

A very long time ago neoprene jumpsuits were introduced for skiing – particularly for the cold wet maritime locations. They were expensive so I tried one on just out of curiosity. Never applying neoprene previously and unaware there was a technique I went about it all wrong. After much pulling, sweating like a pig, grunting and swearing I got the crotch bound around my knees and pinball’ed around the tinsey shoebox of a changing cubicle a while before finally falling out the curtain with a loud whump flat onto my back onto the show floor. This was way back when I dressed up to go shopping so at least I had clean, fancy, matching bra and panties on and was attractive with little in the way of camouflage. If anybody else was laughing I couldn’t hear them over laughing so hard at myself. Gave serious consideration that the whole neoprene skisuit thing was a Candid Camera ploy. Had I seen someone do what I did, I’d be ROFL.
I remembered this quite recently when trying on my first full wetsuit as a diver eyeballing the size of the changing cubicle and its curtain. Having chosen a Henderson Hyperstretch for the first test try luckily I did not repeat what would now be great humiliation. In fact I bought it; very easy to pull on and accommodating well my short muscular physique oddities that made the less stretchy ones appear I was diving in jodhpurs.
BTW, I used to ski in my father’s cotton long johns and the crotch hung down around my knees, drove me nuts.

Back
Top Bottom