Necessity of Dive Computer for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theoretically you can get away with just a pressure gauge, as long as you are diving in a spot that is relatively shallow and easy to navigate. In our area, you get below 50 fsw, it gets cold and dark real quick, so you would know it right away. I would hate diving like that. Part of the enjoyment of diving for me is the independence I have in my exploration. I want to know things so I can make decisions about my actions. How deep am I? How long have I been swimming in the direction? Am I getting deeper or shallower if I keep this heading? Can I find my exit point with out doing any pop-ups? A watch, pressure gauge, compass, thermometer, depth gauge will do all of that. Or a dive computer (plus a compass).

You can rent if you want, a basic one button computer can easily be learned in a couple of minutes. If you are doing group beach dives or easy charter dives that will be fine. If you want to dive regularly I would put it high on the list of stuff to buy rather than rent, just because you will enjoy your dives more with gear you are familiar with and a computer requires a bit of brain power to interface with (unlike a weight belt, tank or regulator). A computer is an empowering device that expands your options. I still have a plastic dive table, and never look at it, doesn't even make it near my gear.

Theoretically you can get away with just a pressure gauge, as long as you are diving in a spot that is relatively shallow and easy to navigate. In our area, you get below 50 fsw, it gets cold and dark real quick, so you would know it right away. I would hate diving like that.
I did that at the pool this weekend. I normally leave the computer on my right arm of the dry suit, but I just got it back from repair. And forgot to attach it. So no computer for me. But it's a swimming pool - the NDL at 15 feet is infinity.. If I'd driven to the usual dive site I'd have stuck to the space between the bottom of the 30 ft platform and the surface and just done stuff there. But I won't forget it again.

I know the feeling (although mine wasn't on a course). Saw an Eon Steel with my buddy about 10ft away and, like you, could read his screen better than mine.

Cost me a fortune that dive!

Note for clarity - the Perdix (or Petrel) is the gold standard for dive computers for recreational (or tech) divers. Do most people need it? No. Is it really nice to use? Yes.

What has to come first is deciding your budget and how long you want to wait until you get it. For me, I bought a DC almost straight out of my OW and then replaced it 45 dives later when I had the above epiphany.

Thought about a Perdix but for various reasons went with a d6i novo at about 2/3 the cost. There's no doubt the Perdix is better and - pound for pound - better value, but for my needs I wanted the Suunto.

Thought about a Perdix but for various reasons went with a d6i novo at about 2/3 the cost. There's no doubt the Perdix is better and - pound for pound - better value, but for my needs I wanted the Suunto.
And that is the thing that we all should think about - what suits me and my type of diving?

My diving is generally in UK murky waters (green with vis <5m a lot of the time) so visibility of computer went way up in the order of importance for me after qualifying and doing a few dives. I could make the Cressi I have work but it is harder to use and see (it will be kept as a backup though).

Does everyone need a Perdix? Hell no. Most people will happily work with a £150-200 ($200-300) Cressi, Suunto Mares etc.

One thing to note about renting a computer and diving multiple days in a row: If you rent a reg set with an attached computer, I think it's pretty normal that, when you come back the next day and rent again, you will get a different reg set. Which means a different computer.

Not always true. My last dives with a dive op's computer (Jacks Diving Locker in Kona in early 2013), I always received the same wrist computer during the week. Same for N2theBlue in St. Croix before that.

The problem(s) with the "renting until you find one you like" theory is that the rental charges will accumulate and will end up paying almost what it would cost to buy a computer. Also, most (if not all) dive centers that rent computers usually rent the absolute bottom of the line or dated computers.

In my example above (and as someone else posted in this thread) the computers were included in the dive cost. Today on their websites N2theBlue adds $10 for gear rental (assuming computer is included in that) and Jack's computers are included in guided dive costs.

Just bringing it up as the OP is not even in a course yet. Best thing to do (at least it's what I did) is find out about the dive op(s) in the area you travel to and what they provide for dives along with costs....then, make a decision.

Buy a cheap used computer. One poster mentioned a favorite of mine - the Veo180NX of which I have a several that I have bought used and are in my student rental gear.

I have many different computers (Shearwater, Oceanic, Liquivision, DiveRite) but I still require tables in the scuba class I teach at the local university. Valuable in my humble opinion to have some rudimentary understanding of just what the computer is really doing.

And that is the thing that we all should think about - what suits me and my type of diving?

My diving is generally in UK murky waters (green with vis <5m a lot of the time) so visibility of computer went way up in the order of importance for me after qualifying and doing a few dives. I could make the Cressi I have work but it is harder to use and see (it will be kept as a backup though).

Does everyone need a Perdix? Hell no. Most people will happily work with a £150-200 ($200-300) Cressi, Suunto Mares etc.

I have a Zoop Novo as a backup or gauge and only dive in warm water (20-24 is cold enough!). My brother who also dives in northern Scotland on trimix has a Perdix as well. Hell, he has a RIB as well ... hardcore.

You wish you've become a believer sooner?:poke::rofl3:

I know you are poking me in jest but I will comment.

The original DC served its purpose at the time but the scope of my diving opened up with a liveaboard holiday doing deeper dives, night dives, wrecks (easy ones like a number of Red Sea ones with minimal risks and open escape routes) etc. Some of those showed up a few things that I felt could work better for me.

Also when I first qualified I wasn't 100% sure I was a diver for life so bought relatively cheap gear. I also had my viewpoint in life changed by a number of events so freed up a fair amount of capital and became a lot more focused on enjoying the now.

Had I not had money to spare I would still be happily diving with the Cressi - buy what you can afford and want at the time.

Back
Top Bottom