Necessity of Dive Computer for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add the hardest thing for a new diver is to control their ascent and safety stop. A computer will help a lot compared to using a depth gauge and watch.
This is the biggest reason for a new diver to get a computer. Tables are easy enough, and it's not tough to limit your depth.

I was first certified in 1990. I got my first computer in 2003. It was then that I realized I should have been ascending a bit slower. Plus, I used to never do a safety stop until I got the computer. When I first got certified, pretty much only the tech and cave divers were using computers. That's not the case today. Now most everyone will have a computer. It's still important to know how to work the tables, but it's quite a bit nicer to have the computer along with you on the dive.

Whether you need a computer will depend on the diving you do. Most of my diving was done on tables, at first because there were no dive computers, and later because the diving I did would not change with the use of a computer.

When I had the wherewithal to travel and dive a lot of different profiles, I bought a computer to maximize my dive time.

Local diving, two dives may be three dives, and known terrain made it easy to maximize time on the tables. If you are traveling to dive, rent a computer until you feel the need to buy one.

Bob

If you rent a computer ask them to show you how it works. Like where does the NDL appear on the screen vs dive time and depth, and what does it look like if you run past the NDL.

Finish your certification before you buy anything to see how much you like diving.

After that, the first things to consider would be mask/snorkel and computer for traveling. Also, not sure what they are charging you, but you can find decent computers for $150 online.

I'm at 17 dives and have never purchased a computer because it has always been included with my dives (open water class + a liveaboard)

Remember that LDS's are VERY expensive. Their typical cheapest DC is probably $300-$400. Don't get ripped off. I'd say it's probably worth paying the upcharge to try on some masks and get the right one, but not a computer.

When I started diving almost 50 years ago, a well-equipped diver had a depth gauge and a watch and that was it. If you stayed at about 30 feet or less, it was thought you could dive indefinitely without incurring a decompression obligation. And that's often what we did: dived at about 30 feet or so until our air ran low, then surfaced. Dive computers didn't come along until much later.

Although I may be in a minority these days, I think the dive industry pushes computers primarily from a profit motive. My experience has been you don't need a computer if you are properly trained and understand what you are doing.

Today, however, in many cases you are required to have a computer, so my advice to a beginner would be to rent until you get some experience and find out what you like and don't like about various models. Then you can make a more informed choice when you're ready to buy.

While I do own a dive computer, it's a pretty simple unit which I use primarily as a bottom timer. I believe the best dive computer is the one between your ears.

Good luck!

Finish your certification before you buy anything to see how much you like diving.

After that, the first things to consider would be mask/snorkel and computer for traveling. Also, not sure what they are charging you, but you can find decent computers for $150 online.

I'm at 17 dives and have never purchased a computer because it has always been included with my dives (open water class + a liveaboard)

Remember that LDS's are VERY expensive. Their typical cheapest DC is probably $300-$400. Don't get ripped off. I'd say it's probably worth paying the upcharge to try on some masks and get the right one, but not a computer.

I don't know about your shop, but having "personal" dive gear of mask, fins, snorkel, booties of your own is required for many, if not all, OW classes.

Some shops have a try before you buy policy. The one whose pool I use does. Every mask, fin, and snorkel they sell are pretty much represented in the pool gear. You use something for a couple sessions and if you like it you can buy a new one in the shop or buy the demo you just used. I have had students go through 4 masks during the pool training before they found one that fit.
As for computers, I teach them but do not require them. There are so many DC's out there that it's difficult to know for sure what a student will buy. So we spend more time on the tables and go over the computer in general terms. In the majority of our local site a computer is not needed. Shallow depths (less than 30ft) where most of the diving is done gives NDL's that pretty much ensure a diver will run low on air before they hit them. Tables are fine and most rental gear has an analog depth gauge. Coupled with a watch, it's all that's needed.
A little extra attention to detail is all that's required to plan and track multi level dives if one wants to maximize the tables.

I completed my OW and AOW with a PADI Course Director about 18 months ago. Didn't need to purchase anything; tables drilled into me; and was offered a computer free for the deeper advanced dives.

You needn't buy one, but once you're sure you're sticking with the sport then invest in one.

Just an opinion here:

Maybe it's a product of being certified in the 90s: learn the tables. You likely don't need a computer if you're diving above 60 feet anyway since your bottom times will be fairly long and you'll be limited by air. Just use the tables. That said, once you've decided diving is your thing, a computer should be the first thing you get (assuming you already have mask and fins). A computer is pretty affordable if you're not buying a top of the line computer. I've got a Mares Puck and wife has a puck pro ($150 and $200, respectively) and it does everything one needs for recreational diving.

Don't be pressured to buy a bunch of gear before you certify. I know this is how dive shop employees make much of their living, but it makes sense to do some diving before buying. Learn a bit about differences between equipment. I've had terrible equipment recommendations from dive shop staff. Too many times to count.

If you follow the rules dive watch/depth gauge works. MY Deep Instructor said get a DC id you do a lot of deep dives. On Deep dives I use both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom