New fins for my lazy wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My beloved wife is mostly a holiday diver (60 something dives over 5 years or so). Since OW she has dived Oceanic v8 split fins. Struggling in a little bit of current and desiring to learn to frog kick, she has decided she wants a set of paddle fins. Her idea of diving is to do it in the most leisurely way possible; she doesn't want fins that are going to require big leg muscles or (frankly) any serious effort at all! She's the one who will always sit out a dive that might involve swimming against current.

Because she doesn't dive all the time I don't want to spend much on them. Finally, because we travel a bit, light is better than heavy (says the guy with the SP jets). If you had to recommend a cheap, 'good for frog kick', 'easy kicking', light-ish fin, what would you go for?. Bonus points if they come in some outrageously bright colour, like pink.

Save your money. Doesn't sound like she will like paddle fins. Split fins with a flutter kick will probably suit her best.

Paddle fins will work better in current but only if you swim hard and have the muscle power. But she doesn't want to work hard or swim against current. Paddle fins also feel harder to kick and more strain on the joints.

Don't talk like that! I want her to learn to frog kick so sand doesn't go everywhere anymore!

My wife has recently just learned how to frog kick in her Force Fin Pros (wouldn't recommend the original fins for a current, Pros are a little stiffer with minimal kicking effort). Lots of great deals on ebay and small and compact for travel. I love my Force Fin Excellerating Fins but that a different animal all together.

If she is as lazy as you describe, buy her a DPV. Forget the fins and various fin kicks.

Reactions: CJS
If she is as lazy as you describe, buy her a DPV. Forget the fins and various fin kicks.
Do they come in pink?

This is a very funny thread...

Mrs. Stoo seems to spend a lot of her life recovering from broken legs. While she's in recovery mode, I stick a 'Jon line' in my pocket so I can tow her if she's having trouble in a current. It's not quite the same as "lazy" but it does solve the silting issue too... ;-)

You can do almost all the various kicks in splits - it's just a bit less effective. Frog is very effective in splits - backfinning.... yeah, no

If you had to recommend a cheap, 'good for frog kick', 'easy kicking', light-ish fin, what would you go for?

I would go for an AquaProp DPV.... Very easy and lazy.... :)

Back
Top Bottom