newbie moving in on a bp/wing setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Goddard once bubbled...

I've never seen the Transpate Harness and the picture on their website is lousy so I'm not sure on all the points:

1. If it has quick disconnects, these are failure points.
2. Minor issue, but all the extra padding/pockets/etc are more boyancy requiring more weight to offse them.
3. Minor issue, but all the extra padding/pockets/etc offer increased water resistance, more gas used.
4. It's not clear from the picture how this mounts on to the backplate. It appears to be neither routed through the webbing slots nor does it appear to be bolted on.

If it is bolted on this means your harness is attached to the center of the backplate. This is not a very stable way to attach your plate.

If it is routed through the webbing slots, you need to be aware that the webbing does rub and wear out against these slots over time. With a standard harness it costs about $8 to replace the webbing. Would you rather $8 every so often to replace it or $100+?

James

Are quick strap disconnects THAT big an issue for failure points? I mean, isn't it safer to be able to ditch your BC quickly? Just wondering cuz OMS has quick disconnects on their BP as well... and their straps are welded to Billy Rings.... are these really unsafe?

If that's the case... my only real concern with Halcyon's straps...is that I want at least SOME shoulder padding... which OMS offers as an option for their BP... I wonder if I can just get the shoulder pads for the Halcyon...

swmetalprocucts.com Great backplates, best value out there.
I like Dive Rite wings. Don't bother with the Transpak harness.
You can get the full harness from S&W for a lot less. Good luck

Doc Intrepid once bubbled...
If you dive in Puget Sound, I suggest you visit Fifth D in Issaquah and at least see what Mark and Debbie may be able to do for you in the way of a package deal. At least give them a call.

FWIW,

Doc

I just placed a order through them and got eveything in a timely manner, just what I ordered, but the price for shipping was ridiculous. I took the same package to ups and it would have cost $12 to send it back to them. They charged me $36 for shipping. I really detest this practice that online retailers are doing. This used to happen in the computer parts business until people like pricewatch started making the retailers INCLUDE shipping costs with thier price quotes. Other online business's need to take note that not many e-commerce buyers are stupid and wont notice the shipping charge.

I live in the Puget Sound area and just bought a Dive Rite Transplate from North West Sports Divers in Kenmore, Wa.
It's a very nice set up and very streamlined too. There are NO pockets on it at all. Just minimal shoulder padding and the qr buckles. The harness is woven through the back plate also. I got the sta and ss cam buckles with mine. You don't have to use the sta though. The new DR back plates have slits in the plate for two cam straps.

If you're still interested in the transplate give Chris a call ay NWSD and he will hook you up!

PM me if you have any other questions.

-Ron

I just switched to a DR bp and wing after diving with a seaquest balance for my first 3-4 years of diving. I love it, much more comfortable and much easier to trim. AND with a deluxe webbing harness I don't get those little pinch hickies on my shoulders which I always got with my balances' padded shoulders. Go figure!
:)

Woof

I thought I was the only one! I dove the Pro QD and after every dive I would have bruises on my shoulders. Now that I'm diving the Transplate...no more bruises!

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share their experience and help inform on this.

I decided to pick up a used seaquest spectrum for $60 on ebay to use while I continue to research so that I will not mispend my money when I plunk down for the system I'll use for the next several years, which will definitely be a bp/wing setup of some sort.

I think knowing a bit more about my weight/bouancy requirements will be important prior to selecting just the right setup. Hopefully, I'll find a way to rent or try one or more bp/wing/harness arrangements in the interim. I'll also continue to read here and hopefully have additional meaningful exchanges with board members as I move through the process. I truly appreciate everyone so far.

This will also provide me a chance to get familiar diving dry and diving my other equipment before adding yet another new componant to the configuration, and I figure for 60 bones I'll come out ahead as long as I use it on at least 4 dives.

I'll let you-all know which plate/wing setup I end up with and how it works out.

cheers!

-k

I checked out the BP at swmetalproducts.com. It looks nice and the price is right too. So if I wanted an entry level complete bp/wings setup, how does this sound?

S&W BP $71
S&W Harness $38
OxyCheq 45# Wing $280
---------------------------------
Total $389 (+s/h of course)

The price is good! Is there anything else I need? How does the tank attach to the BP? Do I need cam straps for that?

Thanks in advance.

looks like a smart setup. yes, you do need cam straps. i doubt that they come with the oxycheq. they definitely are not included in the harness and bp. you will like this.

Back
Top Bottom