Newbie question on used regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son & I just got OW certified last month. So now we enter the obligatory period of investing in our first round of equipment. Being beginners and trying to be conscious, we are looking at the used market for some of the more expensive items. We each just found 1-year old BCD's... so now the focus is regulators.

I found a 2013 Aqualung Legend regulator set that is at a good price and the seller (original owner) has given me plenty of info and pictures to make me feel comfortable with it. However, should I be worried about a 6-year old device - even if it has been maintained and serviced (documented) and has minimal use? I'm more asking from a technology & relative value perspective. Have things changed much since 2013 when it comes to regulators? Frankly, there's no chance that I would be in the price range for a 2019 Aqualung Legend - I'd be much more entry level (or I'd just keep renting). So am I wrong to feel compelled to look at a higher-end Legend that is 6 years old?

Ed...

Not to take anything away from ''good used''...have a look at Dive Gear Express''...house brand...which is a Deep 6 variant...specifically for DGX...rock solid...inexpensive...cold water compatible...sealed...depth compensating/balanced...dive anywhere...easily adaptable as you and your son progress...eg: sidemount/doubles...I have several sets...rebreather use included...

Best of all ''new''...box them up every other season...send to DGX for service...if properly cared for and cleaned properly post dive...they'll last indefinately...

Although Aqualung is a premium brand...in my area Aqualung is not popular because of a very high dealer buy-in...when I inquired several years ago...the dealer buy-in was over $9000...more reg sets and service kits than the shop I was at would have sold in 20 years...the inquiry was made due to the shop being refused any further AL service kits...because the owner was not an ''authorized AL dealer''...I don't know of any dive shop that's buying nine thousand dollars of anything these days..unless it's pre-sold...

Check your LDS...make sure you have easy availability for parts and service...

Dive Safe...

Warren

I own a number of regulators sets but I doubt if I own any under 20 years old.

I would call it 6 years new.

Aqualung legend is very well design reg, and very reliable reg. The 1st stage IP variation with respect to tank pressure is the smallest I have seen. Being Aqualung brand also make service easy in any part of the world. The only down side is expansive. If you find a good deal, I don't see why not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom